Clarity Aloft Users

Marauder

My wife bought me a Clarity Aloft headset for Christmas and I had a chance to use it over the weekend. Considering what happened to me at the end of the flight, I am hoping it was an anomaly and not an indicator of a problem headset. Long story short, since I have a set of Halos I thought I would be experiencing a similar, if not better, quality. I was on an IPC flight, so it really surprised me at how loud it was in the plane with these headsets on.

I noticed as soon as I started my take off roll it was really noisy, especially the left ear. I almost aborted. I continued on and once i got back to approach power settings, it was loud but passable. Finished up the IPC and landed. Went to take the ear plugs out and the left one stayed in old Marauder's big noggin. It was SO far in that I couldn't grab it with my fingers. I could hear well through it but pondered what size drill bit was going to be needed.

I remembered the tips screwed in, so I removed the headset from the jacks and screwed it in before pulling the tip out. 

So, my question. If you are using a Clarity Aloft, what are your thoughts on it? I am not using the TSO version. I am debating whether to take them up on their 30 day return policy. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

...So, my question. If you are using a Clarity Aloft, what are your thoughts on it? I am not using the TSO version. I am debating whether to take them up on their 30 day return policy. Thoughts?

I think you know without my telling you that real pilots wear real headsets...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

My wife bought me a Clarity Aloft headset for Christmas and I had a chance to use it over the weekend. Considering what happened to me at the end of the flight, I am hoping it was an anomaly and not an indicator of a problem headset. Long story short, since I have a set of Halos I thought I would be experiencing a similar, if not better, quality. I was on an IPC flight, so it really surprised me at how loud it was in the plane with these headsets on.

I noticed as soon as I started my take off roll it was really noisy, especially the left ear. I almost aborted. I continued on and once i got back to approach power settings, it was loud but passable. Finished up the IPC and landed. Went to take the ear plugs out and the left one stayed in old Marauder's big noggin. It was SO far in that I couldn't grab it with my fingers. I could hear well through it but pondered what size drill bit was going to be needed.

I remembered the tips screwed in, so I removed the headset from the jacks and screwed it in before pulling the tip out. 

So, my question. If you are using a Clarity Aloft, what are your thoughts on it? I am not using the TSO version. I am debating whether to take them up on their 30 day return policy. Thoughts?

Chris- I have the same non-TSO Clarity Aloft headset that you do, and I have used for almost 4 years.  I have never used Halos so cannot compare - I actually kinda wish i got Halos as they are supposedly very comparable functionally, but cheaper.  However I find them far superior to regular non-noise canceling headsets and at least on par or better than quality noise cancelling ones.  The only time they do not work well is in the cold at first- the inserts are stiff and then need to be pushed in further as your warm ear canal softens them up.  Also there are 3 insert sizes - if you have a large ear canal, you may need to order the larger size - I think they are black in color rather than the standard gray.  Mine came with a sample for them in the starter set.

Chris- I have the same non-TSO Clarity Aloft headset that you do, and I have used for almost 4 years.  I have never used Halos so cannot compare - I actually kinda wish i got Halos as they are supposedly very comparable functionally, but cheaper.  However I find them far superior to regular non-noise canceling headsets and at least on par or better than quality noise cancelling ones.  The only time they do not work well is in the cold at first- the inserts are stiff and then need to be pushed in further as your warm ear canal softens them up.  Also there are 3 insert sizes - if you have a large ear canal, you may need to order the larger size - I think they are black in color rather than the standard gray.  Mine came with a sample for them in the starter set.

Thanks Dev. I have all 3 sizes and found the medium (gray ones) have the best fit. I am wondering if I didn't install the insert tight enough on the left ear and it was letting noise in. I will try another flight before I consider them a bust. Thanks for responding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both Halos and CA's (non TSO) for several years now.  Here is my $0.02

CA has better mikes and imho better ear pieces.

Halo appears to be a little more durable and costs less $$

I think you know without my telling you that real pilots wear real headsets...

Yeah Bob I know. I caught a picture of one of your passengers getting out of your plane. Just don't like the pressure on longer flights.

a1435cce3e8072ad1d1a114a847ed39a.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yeah Bob I know. I caught a picture of one of your passengers getting out of your plane. Just don't like the pressure on longer flights.

a1435cce3e8072ad1d1a114a847ed39a.jpg

This is obviously some of that fake news stuff. All my passengers are (petite) females, or minors. 

IMG_20151030_115458221.jpg

IMG_20160927_094240139.jpg

IMG_20160927_134609350_HDR.jpg

2013-02-15_10-03-53_929.jpg

IMG_20130528_111042_586.jpg

10 hours ago, DXB said:

+1

• Like 1

I tried Halo's site and they appear to be backed up in production or not making them anymore I'm not sure.  I was looking for a set of Halo's for my wife.

I know recent past there were some changes in ownership or something like that.

I ran into Phil at Sun N Fun and again at Oshkosh. He was having difficulties attracting workers who could keep up with the demand (hence my reason to look at the Clarity's).

He seemed positive at Oshkosh since he found some former military personnel who he felt was going to get them back on the shelves.

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

I tried Halo's site and they appear to be backed up in production or not making them anymore I'm not sure.  I was looking for a set of Halo's for my wife.

I know recent past there were some changes in ownership or something like that.

I checked the website over an extended period of time in my quest for Halos.  Finally, I called Phil and spoke with him and I had a set sitting in my office the next day.  I can't say that will happen this time around, but you may call and speak with Phil to see what he can do.

Brandon

I would suspect your ear plug was coming loose and letting the noise in.

I have the Clarity Alofts but most the time I use my Bose A20's. The CA's I use if I need a good hair dew at my destination. The ear inserts tend to bug a little more than the head clamp. I keep meaning to make some custom plugs but haven't got to it yet. Being tall I would like to not bump my headset on the side window with A20's. Both are great for noise and mike.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you did not have the ear plugs seated in your ear properly. I own 3 sets and have owned them for 10 years now. I used them in my Mooney and now in my Baron. I love them and have never had an issue. But I do know what your complaining about as I've had that when I didn't have them in my ear properly. You either the wrong size plugs or your just needed to squeeze them in insert the deeper in your ear. Or a combination. Also try pulling on your ear when you are insetting them to get a better seal/fit.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you did not have the ear plugs seated in your ear properly. I own 3 sets and have owned them for 10 years now. I used them in my Mooney and now in my Baron. I love them and have never had an issue. But I do know what your complaining about as I've had that when I didn't have them in my ear properly. You either the wrong size plugs or your just needed to squeeze them in insert the deeper in your ear. Or a combination. Also try pulling on your ear when you are insetting them to get a better seal/fit.

I'm pretty sure I have the right size tip on them and having a Halo set, I'm comfortable with the ear tug, insert process. I'm starting to wonder, like mentioned above, if the left tip was loose letting sound in. The Halo tips attach differently to the ends.

Marauder,

I have owned both, and went back recently to using the Halos. I bought the Clarity Aloft at Oshkosh, and had them fitted there. I can't explain why you experienced this issue, but they are excellent at keeping noise out. I think the CAs microphone is better, and I liked the more substantial construction. I even found the earplugs to be better than the Halos.  However, after wearing them for a few hours on the trip back from Oshkosh, the wire on the side ended up pressing against the side of my head and it started to really bother me. The Halos do not have this issue for me, so I ultimately returned the CAs.  But, I would encourage you to keep trying the CAs, they are excellent headsets and very quiet. Keep trying to fit them properly, and they should work.

Fernando

• Like 1

Marauder,
I have owned both, and went back recently to using the Halos. I bought the Clarity Aloft at Oshkosh, and had them fitted there. I can't explain why you experienced this issue, but they are excellent at keeping noise out. I think the CAs microphone is better, and I liked the more substantial construction. I even found the earplugs to be better than the Halos.  However, after wearing them for a few hours on the trip back from Oshkosh, the wire on the side ended up pressing against the side of my head and it started to really bother me. The Halos do not have this issue for me, so I ultimately returned the CAs.  But, I would encourage you to keep trying the CAs, they are excellent headsets and very quiet. Keep trying to fit them properly, and they should work.
Fernando

I noticed they are making a silicone sleeve for the ear loop area of the Pro series. I have only worn them once. Will try again this weekend and if there isn't an improvement, will take them up on their 30 day offer.