Intro- fresh meat.

EricJ

I've been lurking here for a little bit but wanted to make an intro.   I'm a PPL, learned to fly in the '70s before I learned to drive, flew recreationally until about 1985 and then took thirty years off for career, life, etc., etc.   It's been a bit of a Rip VanWinkle experience getting back into it, but it's also been fun.  Lately I'm flying a rental Arrow around AZ just to get back into the groove and get warmed up to get an instrument rating.    An integral part of the whole plan is to get a quick, efficient airplane to fly back and forth from AZ to SoDak (where I'm from and where I still have some property and is a nice place to be in the summer compared to AZ).  Hence, I'm here as I'm looking around for an E or J model.   So far I've not found anything quite right for me, but I haven't been looking all that long.

The attraction to an E or J is that they seem to be good bang for the buck especially for long-ish cross-countries like what I usually need to do.   That said, I have to admit I've never actually set foot in one or flown one.   If there's anybody in AZ that needs some ballast, I'd be happy to oblige.

You guys have already been very helpful just via info in existing threads, so thanks already.

Welcome Eric!

There are many good threads here on the pros/cons of each model. But it sounds like you are already on your way. 

An 'E will certainly give you more bang for your buck over a 'J in terms of purchase price per knot. A modded 'E will almost run with a J. Of course you sacrifice cabin space. 

We love talking about our airplanes and will be happy to answer your questions as they come up. 

Don't underestimate the K.  Like you I flew in the 80s and 90s and then quit.  Back at now and since my wife if from ND and we are in CA I looked at something that would get over the Rockies with no problem.  70 hrs in the K so far and it a piece of cake to fly, very stable and fairly fast.  I was getting 188 kt on 12 gals ROP at 7500 last Fri going over to the Sacramento Valley.  A lot of times you will find the K cheaper than the J.

Pritch

• Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 2:44 PM, EricJ said:

I've been lurking here for a little bit but wanted to make an intro.   I'm a PPL, learned to fly in the '70s before I learned to drive, flew recreationally until about 1985 and then took thirty years off for career, life, etc., etc.   It's been a bit of a Rip VanWinkle experience getting back into it, but it's also been fun.  Lately I'm flying a rental Arrow around AZ just to get back into the groove and get warmed up to get an instrument rating.    An integral part of the whole plan is to get a quick, efficient airplane to fly back and forth from AZ to SoDak (where I'm from and where I still have some property and is a nice place to be in the summer compared to AZ).  Hence, I'm here as I'm looking around for an E or J model.   So far I've not found anything quite right for me, but I haven't been looking all that long.

I'm happy to show you around the "K" model and can also show you a couple of different friends' "E" models, one of which is for sale.

http://www.klrdmd.com/N5918Q.html

On 1/3/2017 at 2:44 PM, EricJ said:

The attraction to an E or J is that they seem to be good bang for the buck especially for long-ish cross-countries like what I usually need to do.   That said, I have to admit I've never actually set foot in one or flown one.   If there's anybody in AZ that needs some ballast, I'd be happy to oblige.

You guys have already been very helpful just via info in existing threads, so thanks already.

Welcome Eric!

There are a lot of good planes out there for sale including my E which I just recently posted on controller. I'll attach the link. I think either model you will find perfect for your mission and the efficiency is nice too! 

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17393175/1966-mooney-m20e-super-21

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and offers.   At the moment I'm looking at this airplane:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20E+SUPER+21&listing_id=2250042&s-type=aircraft

Are there any known Mooney-familiar PPI/IA mechanics in the San Diego area?

On 1/4/2017 at 0:11 AM, Pritch said:

......A lot of times you will find the K cheaper than the J.

Pritch

why is that?  I admit, I haven't been looking at K's, mainly because I absolutely don't need 6 cyl, but I have notices quite a few K's cheaper than J's.  hhmmff.  oh, and sorry to hijack.  no I'm not.  ok, yes I am.

15 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

why is that?  I admit, I haven't been looking at K's, mainly because I absolutely don't need 6 cyl, but I have notices quite a few K's cheaper than J's.  hhmmff.  oh, and sorry to hijack.  no I'm not.  ok, yes I am.

Probably because even if you bought a K for 20AMU less then a J, the J will cost you less money over just a few years?  And remember, there are two versions of the K.

Would this comparison be too far off base? An F is to a J like a 231 is to a 252?

23 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

Read the recent tread on 231's in Modern Mooney discussion and mostly what jlunseth has to say.

Pritch

On 1/3/2017 at 6:04 PM, 3914N said:

Welcome Eric!

There are many good threads here on the pros/cons of each model. But it sounds like you are already on your way. 

An 'E will certainly give you more bang for your buck over a 'J in terms of purchase price per knot. A modded 'E will almost run with a J. Of course you sacrifice cabin space. 

We love talking about our airplanes and will be happy to answer your questions as they come up. 

A modded E will likely walk away from J.  It is not an uncommon situation.

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Probably because even if you bought a K for 20AMU less then a J, the J will cost you less money over just a few years?  And remember, there are two versions of the K.

Would this comparison be too far off base? An F is to a J like a 231 is to a 252?

Not really appropriate since the operating costs will be nearly identical for an F an a J if not slightly less for an F if it has manual systems.

I have a Mooney E and fly out of FFZ in AZ. It has numerous mods and flys very well. I would be glad to let you be ballast if you want to go for a flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similarities...

Fs evolved into Js, but kept the basic IO360... The big difference was aerodynamic improvements...

Js were updated into Ks by changing the power plant to a six cylinder TC'd TSIO360.  231s evolved into 252s and got an MP Controller and a intercooler...

one continuous line of upgrades and improvements.  The line splits as TCs and TNs are both equally appreciated as their NA counterparts.

The ultimate line extension has to be a Rocket, a larger engine to achieve 305hp...

Overall, if you like a mooney M20A, your are really going to like a Mooney M20V and everything in between... even that one with the unsupported engine in it...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Kyoshiskip said:

I have a Mooney E and fly out of FFZ in AZ. It has numerous mods and flys very well. I would be glad to let you be ballast if you want to go for a flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks much for that!  I'll likely take you up on that before too long once I'm done with some travel.