Community Accountablity for My 2017 Aviation Objectives

Have done that route from Reno to Salt Lake a couple of times. I highly recommend going the northern side. For the reasons that Brian points out as well as the restricted areas.  You have quite a few to work with on that route. So plan to go due west out of SLC for at least 200 miles then start arcing down to Sacramento. 

11 hours ago, flight2000 said:

Astra,

Have you ever flown out this way before in a GA plane? 

Don't be afraid of the Sierras in the winter months.  Just pick the days you cross based on the weather and winds aloft (anything above 35 knots at 11,000 and above is setting yourself up for a bad day).  I prefer the I-80/Donner Pass corridor because there are airports along the way (TRK, BLU, GOO, E35, AUN, etc).  Cross anywhere else in the area and nothing but rocks, trees, and lakes.  I use 10,500 westbound and 11,500 eastbound unless there is no wind, then I'll cross westbound at 9,500.  I fly this route almost every weekend and never been surprised with a pop up storm during the winter months.

I've found Reno and the northern NV area to be a lot more bumpy in the summer than the winter, I can tell you that from experience....  ;)

I flew the valley from Hawthorne, NV to Bishop, CA to China Lake (Inyokern Airport) at 10,500' last week and these are the Mountains between Bishop and the San Fernando Valley.  Almost like the mountains to the east of Salt Lake City.....very tall and pointy...;) 

Cheers,

Brian

Mammouth Yosemite Area.jpg

Thanks Brian

9 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I didn't notice  anything earlier  on this, but is it your company or a company you work for? If the latter, you might have a bigger Safety Folks problem. A good number of companies prohibit private aircraft flights. The reasons, of course, tend to be related to liability concerns but go further than that if both general commercial insurance and workers comp providers exclude coverage. 

Some companies are far more forgiving than others.

midlifeflyer,

I am an employee of a company and not the owner (2008 resulted in me closing my consulting biz, but that's another story). It is a privately owned company and a previous CEO and a few sales guys flew themselves around so I'm hoping there will be no issues. Time will tell.

Cheers

6 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

Have done that route from Reno to Salt Lake a couple of times. I highly recommend going the northern side. For the reasons that Brian points out as well as the restricted areas.  You have quite a few to work with on that route. So plan to go due west out of SLC for at least 200 miles then start arcing down to Sacramento. 

mccdeuce, thanks. as I look at my trusty sectional I see a few MOA'S but no restricted areas that I will have to cross. I will be departing from Brigham City (KBMC) so I have the option of getting FF or calling Clover to cross Lucin B and A or Lucin C respectively. Did I miss something?

Regards,

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

My addendum to that (and im from the UK so the valley might be warm enough for this not to be a concern) is that Valleys are a LOT cooler than higher as the cold air comes down the mountain sides.  So if there is fog, check temps in case of icing risk.  

Been there done that and i was on foot and the temp difference was -10 out of the valley to -50 in it.  That 250 yard walk out of the car to take a photo nearly killed me, literally.  

Andrew

Andrew Thanks, I will definitely keep an eye on the OAT.

• Like 1

CFII Search update: Spoke to a few folks and I realized that most don't have enough Mooney time to qualify under the open pilot section of my policy, so that means they would have to be a named pilot on my policy. I haven't checked the costs yet but I don't know how I feel about that. I'm still relatively new to AC ownership (just did my first annual in Oct 16). So if anyone has experience with this situation I would appreciate knowing how it worked for you.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, astravierso said:

midlifeflyer,

I am an employee of a company and not the owner (2008 resulted in me closing my consulting biz, but that's another story). It is a privately owned company and a previous CEO and a few sales guys flew themselves around so I'm hoping there will be no issues. Time will tell.

Cheers

That will definitely help.

1 hour ago, astravierso said:

CFII Search update: Spoke to a few folks and I realized that most don't have enough Mooney time to qualify under the open pilot section of my policy, so that means they would have to be a named pilot on my policy. I haven't checked the costs yet but I don't know how I feel about that. I'm still relatively new to AC ownership (just did my first annual in Oct 16). So if anyone has experience with this situation I would appreciate knowing how it worked for you.

Thanks,

Check before you decide. Just some nomenclature (that sometimes changes from company to company; and this is not a post on all the intricacies of aviation insurance contracts). A "named pilot" is just a pilot who is listed on the policy who does not meet the open pilot warranty. In fact, it is referred to in some policies as an "approved pilot," which is more descriptive of what it actually means. It is not the same as a "named insured." (Actually, it's your company which may insist on being a "names insured.")

Whether adding an instructor as a "named" or "approved" pilot costs you anything extra depends on the company's underwriting standards, the aircraft, and the CFII's experience. I'm a CFI and have been named on a few policies. I've seen charges from $0 to a couple hundred. I've seen varying time-in-type and type currency requirements. I've seen requirements for some number of dual for the CFI and not so much.

To give you two pretty wide contrasts, and I've been in others in between. Within the past few years, was asked to be named on the policy of a simple LSA. With experience in other LSAs, the insurer required one hour dual. OTOH, I was asked to be named on the policy for a Mooney Ovation. I have a decent amount of time in the J and some in the C but zero in an Ovation or other long-body. As folks here will tell you, the long body Ovation, especially the early ones with the high panel, are a different beast from the J. Nevertheless, I was "named" on the policy based on the information in my application at no cost to the owner.

Point is, you don't know the costs or requirement until you ask, and often, not until some CFI files an application. Do the best you can. Obviously substantial retract time in higher performance airplanes is going to be a plus.

Goals are an excellent way to visualize what you desire.  Yours are aggressive, but very measurable.  I look forward to observing your check marks as you make progress.  Your a Marine, so hopefully some good relatable stories on your trials, tribulations along the way.  Maybe you will motivate others to pursue your objectives as they see value in your accomplishment?

I wish you blue skies and minimal FUBAR along your journey.

11 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Check before you decide. Just some nomenclature (that sometimes changes from company to company; and this is not a post on all the intricacies of aviation insurance contracts). A "named pilot" is just a pilot who is listed on the policy who does not meet the open pilot warranty. In fact, it is referred to in some policies as an "approved pilot," which is more descriptive of what it actually means. It is not the same as a "named insured." (Actually, it's your company which may insist on being a "names insured.")

Whether adding an instructor as a "named" or "approved" pilot costs you anything extra depends on the company's underwriting standards, the aircraft, and the CFII's experience. I'm a CFI and have been named on a few policies. I've seen charges from $0 to a couple hundred. I've seen varying time-in-type and type currency requirements. I've seen requirements for some number of dual for the CFI and not so much.

To give you two pretty wide contrasts, and I've been in others in between. Within the past few years, was asked to be named on the policy of a simple LSA. With experience in other LSAs, the insurer required one hour dual. OTOH, I was asked to be named on the policy for a Mooney Ovation. I have a decent amount of time in the J and some in the C but zero in an Ovation or other long-body. As folks here will tell you, the long body Ovation, especially the early ones with the high panel, are a different beast from the J. Nevertheless, I was "named" on the policy based on the information in my application at no cost to the owner.

Point is, you don't know the costs or requirement until you ask, and often, not until some CFI files an application. Do the best you can. Obviously substantial retract time in higher performance airplanes is going to be a plus.

midlifeflyer,

Thanks, when I get back for the great white north I'll call up my insurance folks and see what it will look like.

11 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Goals are an excellent way to visualize what you desire.  Yours are aggressive, but very measurable.  I look forward to observing your check marks as you make progress.  Your a Marine, so hopefully some good relatable stories on your trials, tribulations along the way.  Maybe you will motivate others to pursue your objectives as they see value in your accomplishment?

I wish you blue skies and minimal FUBAR along your journey.

MyNameIsNobody,

Thanks for the well wishes. Your statement has me looking what I want to do this year and it is a bit much, so much so I am going to have to break it down in MS Project to develop a critical path with milestones and GATE reviews (damn I sound like a nerd). Like I said at the top I will share all of my misadventures with the community.. Some within the community may observe my "learning experiences" first hand at Caravan Quals in Yuma, The PPP in CA in April, Oshkosh in July. I'll just tell myself they are laughing with me not at me.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

R6404A and R4813A and R4816N

if you are going straight line to Sacramento. Easy enough to fly around these or skirt them to the North. 

Recommend skirting to the North and taking the Donner Pass

mccdeuce,

Thanks, I was planning on staying out of those "playgrounds" by keeping to the north. Thanks again.

Cheers

Astra,

This is a great way to express your goals and get some motivation from the folks on this board.  It should be an interesting year!

I live on the east coast, so I can't provide any advice on routing for you.  However, I have two suggestions, one of which was already mentioned.  In light of your aggressive schedule, I would seriously consider an accelerated IFR program that can get you the ticket in about 10 days.  It is gruesome and tiring work, but worth it in terms of efficiency and time.  I did mine through PIC.  Since you will be flying frequently, you will not forget that which you have learned quickly. It will become second nature. If you were not flying often I might discourage you from doing that. But, as Seth and others have said, getting your IFR should be your number one aviation priority.

Second, if you are going to be regularly flying single pilot IFR, you need a good working autopilot. Period.  Since you are doing some cheaper radios upgrades soon, that is great, but if you don't have an autopilot already I would seriously consider investing in one. It can be a life saver.

Finally, I live near Seth in the DC area, so let us know if you get around this area sometime and we can get together.

Good luck.

Fernando

PS - I would not mind trying to get my commercial ticket this year either. Hmmm.

On 1/2/2017 at 5:26 PM, astravierso said:

First Request for Guidance:

I am planning to fly from the Salt Lake City area to the Folsom/Sacramento CA area the week Jan 23rd staying for 1 1/2 weeks and leaving for Yuma AZ on the 2nd for Feb. This trip will be under VFR my projected route will be across the top of NV. So here are my questions.

1. The Sierra's and Lake Tahoe, There appears to be a good path across lake Tahoe (Spooners Summit and over the town of Tahoma) which will get me across no muss no fuss. How accessible is that this time of year? Would I be better off going to the north of Reno to go around Tahoe and then down to the Sac area this time of year.

2. what is the best place to tied down at during my stay in Folsom? I haven't made any calls.

3. what is the weather like in the SJ valley this time of year (JAN-FEB) for VMC. would I be better of going back around to the NV side of the Sierra's to get to Yuma?

With the weather questions I am looking for general info as the actual condition will dictate the route and go/no go of the trip.

thanks in advance for any info.

I am relatively versed in the aviation weather along your proposed route.  I currently live in Klamath Falls, OR, but I used to fly hornets out of Lemoore, CA; and I fly my mooney between SoCal, Oregon, NV and ID quite a bit.

if the winds at altitude pick up, you're going to have some moderate+ turbulence below 100, and maybe higher all along your routing until you get to the Central Valley.  Keep an eye on the sigmets/airmets and pireps.  It can get pretty remote out there- have a plan for the worst case scenario.

Fog is the biggest worry to the west of the sierras, but during the day it tends to lift; so Long as your VFR planning is thorough, you'll be OK.

on your trip to Yuma- I'd stay west of the sierras until Bakersfield->tehachapee.  That will be the smoothest ride; but definitely not the shortest.  It also has the added benefit of being closer to civilization for more of the route.

thats my opinion based on your hardware and experience level.

I am also fairly well versed on your route of flight and do not recommend your trip as you described it and the dates.I base this mostly on three criteria...1 ,weather for the time period will prob be 1 pacific storm after another and the valley ,even after storm passage will be low ifr from Redding to Bakersfield with all the moist air.2 because this is a business trip I assume your dates are relatively inflexible so the pressure to make a "deadline"is something I believe you should avoid at your present skill level.3 The performance of your Mooney are fairly modest considering you have 500 miles of n/s running parallel mountain ridges...( I am talking about Nevada ranges even before you get to the sierras).I think the trip is doable with basically a perfect vfr day...lately we have been getting only 1or two days a week..my experience is 17/19 k is sweet spot if any winds aloft.If you do go,Mather is closest to Folsom with full services.Cameron park is east of Folsom,not really any closer and I dont think they have rental cars.Placerville though well east has the advantage of being out of the fog when the valley airports are 400 Ovc.regards kpc

26 minutes ago, thinwing said:

I am also fairly well versed on your route of flight and do not recommend your trip as you described it and the dates.I base this mostly on three criteria...1 ,weather for the time period will prob be 1 pacific storm after another and the valley ,even after storm passage will be low ifr from Redding to Bakersfield with all the moist air.2 because this is a business trip I assume your dates are relatively inflexible so the pressure to make a "deadline"is something I believe you should avoid at your present skill level.3 The performance of your Mooney are fairly modest considering you have 500 miles of n/s running parallel mountain ridges...( I am talking about Nevada ranges even before you get to the sierras).I think the trip is doable with basically a perfect vfr day...lately we have been getting only 1or two days a week..my experience is 17/19 k is sweet spot if any winds aloft.If you do go,Mather is closest to Folsom with full services.Cameron park is east of Folsom,not really any closer and I dont think they have rental cars.Placerville though well east has the advantage of being out of the fog when the valley airports are 400 Ovc.regards kpc

He has the possibility of avoiding all those Nevada ranges by heading north-west to twin falls, west to LIA, then REO, LKV and direct RDD.  The long way around, but avoids all mountains and associated activity, and can be flown safely relatively low (8.5-10.5).  I wouldn't go up to 17-19k going west this time of year without giving the winds aloft charts a good once over: you might find yourself in a 90 KT headwind that could be avoided almost entirely at 10k.  Going east on the second leg, though, could be very nice....

in any airplane in the west, with high winds, turbulence and storms can be a factor this time of year: just something to keep in mind for planning.  

Go/No-Go decision making is an entirely different topic.., the Nall reports will tell you that it's the 500-700 hour pilots to be most worried about in this regard: they tend to have more confidence, and less fear.  But that, too, can be mitigated by good awareness of potential safety issues, a continuous vigilance, and the value of a mentor can't be understated (which this pilot is either seeking or at least understands he needs).

All this to say, that in my opinion, the trip is doable- so long as he's serious and vigilant in his planning (which I believe he is indicating).

7 hours ago, M016576 said:

I am relatively versed in the aviation weather along your proposed route.  I currently live in Klamath Falls, OR, but I used to fly hornets out of Lemoore, CA; and I fly my mooney between SoCal, Oregon, NV and ID quite a bit.

if the winds at altitude pick up, you're going to have some moderate+ turbulence below 100, and maybe higher all along your routing until you get to the Central Valley.  Keep an eye on the sigmets/airmets and pireps.  It can get pretty remote out there- have a plan for the worst case scenario.

Fog is the biggest worry to the west of the sierras, but during the day it tends to lift; so Long as your VFR planning is thorough, you'll be OK.

on your trip to Yuma- I'd stay west of the sierras until Bakersfield->tehachapee.  That will be the smoothest ride; but definitely not the shortest.  It also has the added benefit of being closer to civilization for more of the route.

thats my opinion based on your hardware and experience level.

M016576,

Thanks, great synopsis.

5 hours ago, thinwing said:

thinwing,

Thanks, your points are well taken. 17/19K is way outside what my "B" can do. I am planning this but I have no issued with a "scrub". While I am going to use my AC more for business this year I am under no illusion of being able to significantly increase my usage during the winter months in the mountain west at my current experience level. This means I will plan ask questions and if EVERYTHING is perfect, then I will fly. If not then I go with plane "D" for Delta, look out the little window wishing it was my big window. I have no illusions about current my skills, knowledge and capabilities of my AC.

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M016576 said:

He has the possibility of avoiding all those Nevada ranges by heading north-west to twin falls, west to LIA, then REO, LKV and direct RDD.  The long way around, but avoids all mountains and associated activity, and can be flown safely relatively low (8.5-10.5).  I wouldn't go up to 17-19k going west this time of year without giving the winds aloft charts a good once over: you might find yourself in a 90 KT headwind that could be avoided almost entirely at 10k.  Going east on the second leg, though, could be very nice....

in any airplane in the west, with high winds, turbulence and storms can be a factor this time of year: just something to keep in mind for planning.  

Go/No-Go decision making is an entirely different topic.., the Nall reports will tell you that it's the 500-700 hour pilots to be most worried about in this regard: they tend to have more confidence, and less fear.  But that, too, can be mitigated by good awareness of potential safety issues, a continuous vigilance, and the value of a mentor can't be understated (which this pilot is either seeking or at least understands he needs).

All this to say, that in my opinion, the trip is doable- so long as he's serious and vigilant in his planning (which I believe he is indicating).

M106576, thinwing,

Great discussion and I agree the flight planning and launch decision are two different things and I do appreciate the concerns from both of you. For risk management in making GO-NOGO calls I have a golden rule "DO NOT KNOWINGLY EXPOSE YOURSELF TO A SITUATION WHERE THERE IS A HIGH PROBABILITY THAT THE OUTCOME WILL MAKE THE EX-WIFE HAPPY" .

Cheers,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prflyer said:

Astra,

This is a great way to express your goals and get some motivation from the folks on this board.  It should be an interesting year!

I live on the east coast, so I can't provide any advice on routing for you.  However, I have two suggestions, one of which was already mentioned.  In light of your aggressive schedule, I would seriously consider an accelerated IFR program that can get you the ticket in about 10 days.  It is gruesome and tiring work, but worth it in terms of efficiency and time.  I did mine through PIC.  Since you will be flying frequently, you will not forget that which you have learned quickly. It will become second nature. If you were not flying often I might discourage you from doing that. But, as Seth and others have said, getting your IFR should be your number one aviation priority.

Second, if you are going to be regularly flying single pilot IFR, you need a good working autopilot. Period.  Since you are doing some cheaper radios upgrades soon, that is great, but if you don't have an autopilot already I would seriously consider investing in one. It can be a life saver.

Finally, I live near Seth in the DC area, so let us know if you get around this area sometime and we can get together.

Good luck.

Fernando

PS - I would not mind trying to get my commercial ticket this year either. Hmmm.

Fernando,

Thanks, I am going to research the accelerated programs fully (which another reason for the Q2 start date).  While I do like the idea of total immersion for 2 weeks I have my concerns.

If I get to the DC area I'll drop you and Seth a line.

Cheers,

Given your goal is to fly trips--You could consider hiring an experienced CFII who will mentor you as he flies these routes along with the first few times.  

You will end up paying for tens of extra hours of instruction plus his motel expenses but you're going to learn a lot flying actual trips, different skills than in local training.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Given your goal is to fly trips--You could consider hiring an experienced CFII who will mentor you as he flies these routes along with the first few times.  

You will end up paying for tens of extra hours of instruction plus his motel expenses but you're going to learn a lot flying actual trips, different skills than in local training.  

Jerry,

Interesting you should mention that. I was thinking about doing just that. Also is there anything saying that the mentoring couldn't come from a more experienced pilot (non CFII). If I can't find a CFII who is willing to go on "road trips". Just a thought.

Thanks and Cheers

• Like 1