In search of sun visor mount part

PTK

Wishing a very happy, healthy safe and prosperous New Year 2017 to all!

I'm looking for a small part and was hoping for some help finding it! 

It is the sun visor mounting piece. It's an aluminium semi dome looking part. It has a threaded male component that screws into the corresponding female in the tube structure in upper left and right corners. It also has two holes in the semi dome area. One larger hole on the side where the rod mounting end of the visor inserts. The other smaller hole is on the pole of the semi dome, directly opposite the threaded male component, and it is also threaded to receive the set screw to hold the visor rod in place and prevent it from sliding out. The rod end has a hole into which the end of the set screw enters and prevents rod from sliding out. 

Does anyone have a part number or any idea where I can get one? Better yet does anyone have one or two they'd like to sell? Or is there a replacement similar part available somewhere?

Thank you all in advance.

I replaced my visors with LASAR visors and I think I have the part you need.  Problem is I can't get to the hangar until next weekend.  I'll take a pic and send it to you to confirm it's what you need.  If it is, happy to send it to you.

August 

42 minutes ago, aochabauer said:

I replaced my visors with LASAR visors and I think I have the part you need.  Problem is I can't get to the hangar until next weekend.  I'll take a pic and send it to you to confirm it's what you need.  If it is, happy to send it to you.

August 

August, thank you. Please pm to me a photo when you get to it. Do you also have set screws that go with them?

Thank you.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I purchased a set of stock visors for my J (LM came without). Unfortunately, I’m missing one setscrew that holds the visor rod to the button. 

These seem unsourceable with the required tip

an565c832h3 per the parts manual. 

Mooney new part number supercedes to a socket head screw. Anyone have or know where I could get one?

• 9 months later...
On 1/2/2017 at 1:06 PM, PTK said:

Wishing a very happy, healthy safe and prosperous New Year 2017 to all!

I'm looking for a small part and was hoping for some help finding it! 

It is the sun visor mounting piece. It's an aluminium semi dome looking part. It has a threaded male component that screws into the corresponding female in the tube structure in upper left and right corners. It also has two holes in the semi dome area. One larger hole on the side where the rod mounting end of the visor inserts. The other smaller hole is on the pole of the semi dome, directly opposite the threaded male component, and it is also threaded to receive the set screw to hold the visor rod in place and prevent it from sliding out. The rod end has a hole into which the end of the set screw enters and prevents rod from sliding out. 

Does anyone have a part number or any idea where I can get one? Better yet does anyone have one or two they'd like to sell? Or is there a replacement similar part available somewhere?

Thank you all in advance.

Lasar

SUNVISOR PIVOT - 950226-001

980-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

On this same subject, I just acquired a 1985 231, my 2nd Mooney and 4th airplane, and when I tried to move the left side visor it was stuck. Wondering if perhaps they weren't designed to pivot, I tried the right side, and it did, but some white-to-beige colored powder (like corroded metal?!) fell from the pivot. So, I applied a little more (ok, maybe a lot more) force to the left one, trying to free it up, and SNAP. And lots more white-to-beige powder! 

What am I looking at to repair this, and do I need to fear something far more involved than just a new pivot...like...<gulp> I can't say it...

Thanks for any (informed) replies!

So, the pivot is just screwed into a nut plate. The problem is one loosens when you swing it and the other one tightens. If you over tighten the one that tightens when you swing it it breaks.

They we’re never intended to be tightened, just screwed in enough so they don’t fall out.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, airmocha said:

On this same subject, I just acquired a 1985 231, my 2nd Mooney and 4th airplane, and when I tried to move the left side visor it was stuck. Wondering if perhaps they weren't designed to pivot, I tried the right side, and it did, but some white-to-beige colored powder (like corroded metal?!) fell from the pivot. So, I applied a little more (ok, maybe a lot more) force to the left one, trying to free it up, and SNAP. And lots more white-to-beige powder! 

What am I looking at to repair this, and do I need to fear something far more involved than just a new pivot...like...<gulp> I can't say it...

Thanks for any (informed) replies!

What snapped?  The rod the visor attached to or the mount that screws into the ceiling?   Sounds like some moisture got into the ceiling, Steel and aluminum don't do well together (powder).   Probably need to drill the threaded part out.   Run a tap into the threads.   I find Dremel tools with diamond tips are good for this.   Makes a mess.    Or you could take the headliner down and get some vise grips on it.  

You can make new parts on the lathe.

original.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yetti, what snapped is, I believe, the screw or other device constituting the "axle" or pivot axis of the left side visor. I too thought about moisture/corrosion, and that's my darkest fear. How could moisture sufficient to cause corrosion get into such a high place without it getting (in copious quantity) to many lower ones?

This airplane has been based in both Northern IL and southern coastal FL, and has a few spots of corrosion on its skin that I saw immediately and ultimately didn't think too much of it, having referred the mechanic (a Mooney center) who did my pre-buy to them and both of us having noted in the logs that the Mooney center that maintained it in FL had already conducted at least two of the inspections required by that SB calling for steel fuselage tube inspections, mostly applicable to the older pre-J models.

But, when that frozen visor screw snapped and all that powder came out, I admit my heart sunk.

I understand the fix isn't much for the visor itself. What caused that corrosion - and what other corrosion of which that corrosion may be a harbinger, is what scares me.