EFIS Upgrade

FlyWalt

46 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I must be color blind. I don't see any magneta. Just a big red button, a little orange, some turquoise, a touch of blue and a smidget of yellow.  

Look to the right. The actual magenta line is out of the picture, but almost half the screen is there. (It's too close to get the whole thing in flight . . . )

On 1/2/2017 at 6:05 PM, FlyWalt said:

I may consider an Aspen upgrade. The real problem is cash flow. Or lack there of.

If cash flow is an issue, then a single Aspen and an EA100'adapter may fit your bill.  A dual Aspen setup with EA100 will run you as much - if not more so - than a G500 and GAD43/43E so you should consider that.  From a reliability standpoint, you can't beat the G500.

I think Aspen sells a  2amu aoa upgrade, anyone have it? It's derived from the ahars somehow, doesn't seem worth it. 

I've had one for about a year now and it works well. My avionics guy gave me a little break on it. I paid $1800 for it. It comes on at slow speeds (takeoff and approach) and disappears during cruise. I find I watch it closely on climb out versus only the ASI but also on approach as well. After flying with it a while I know where it should be in a normal stabilized approach and I find that helpful. My only complaint is I wish an audible alarm would sound when approaching a stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Interesting point Kevin.

Since the AOA turns on the visual display it could have some useful tones related to where you are in the AOA's range...

English words would be most helpful.  Especially if it is the non-pilot that is flying the plane...

check your AOA instruction manual to see if this is available..?  It may require one of those voice box devices...

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Interesting point Kevin.

Since the AOA turns on the visual display it could have some useful tones related to where you are in the AOA's range...

English words would be most helpful.  Especially if it is the non-pilot that is flying the plane...

check your AOA instruction manual to see if this is available..?  It may require one of those voice box devices...

Bets regards,

-a-

I researched it shortly after I bought it and it's not available. Aspens reason for this is they didn't want an AOA alerting the pilot while the stall horn is sounding as they thought this would be confusing. I think they should make it an option which i think would be easy to do in a software update. There are other audible alerts already such as MDA, preset altitude, etc so the ability is currently there. The main reason I want it is because my stall horn doesn't work; never has. Works on the ground if you manually lift the stall tab but not in flight. I've had three different A&Ps look at it and no one can seem to get it to work. I think the TKS panel is playing a part in the problem.

Stall warnings and gear up warnings have a tendency of getting missed.  A touch of brain overload and important messages get lost.  This is one of those distraction failures.

any chance of getting a go pro aimed at the stall vane?

It is such a simple system it is usually in the works or doesn't work category.  The worst thing is it can get out of alignment.  This is where it stalls before the warning can sound.

With FIKI systems the stall vane gets a heater. An anti ice measure....

Were any of the A&Ps of the MSC variety?

We have seen a few(?) stall vanes around here get mutilated while trying to adjust them.  There are procedures to do this properly.  The stall warning vane is a hardened piece of stainless steel.  It has a better chance of breaking off before a proper adjustment can be made that way...

PP advice.  Stuff I learned around MS...

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

Stall warnings and gear up warnings have a tendency of getting missed.  A touch of brain overload and important messages get lost.  This is one of those distraction failures.

any chance of getting a go pro aimed at the stall vane?

It is such a simple system it is usually in the works or doesn't work category.  The worst thing is it can get out of alignment.  This is where it stalls before the warning can sound.

With FIKI systems the stall vane gets a heater. An anti ice measure....

Were any of the A&Ps of the MSC variety?

We have seen a few(?) stall vanes around here get mutilated while trying to adjust them.  There are procedures to do this properly.  The stall warning vane is a hardened piece of stainless steel.  It has a better chance of breaking off before a proper adjustment can be made that way...

PP advice.  Stuff I learned around MS...

Best regards,

-a-

The GoPro is a very good idea and i do have one. The first shop to look at it was a MSC in Willmar, MN (Not the new guys, the old ones). Then a local guy who claims he's familiar with Mooneys and performs annuals on a few. The last guy is my current A&P up in Benson, MN. I'm going to have him take another crack at it during annual in April/May. I've suspected it might be out of adjustment but out of fear of snapping it off I haven't tried to bend it. My TKS is an inadvertant, non-FIKI system so I don't believe it's heated. 

On another note I contacted Aspen in regard to an AOA audible alert and here's what I received:

Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Aspen.  In the current version of the display hardware, there is no option for an audio warning.  I will pass your thoughts onto our hardware designers and sales department for possible future incorporation into a future hardware revision.

Best Regards,

Charlie Reiche

Field Service Engineer

Aspen Avionics
5001 Indian School Road NE

Albuquerque, NM  87110
  • Like 1

Don't try to bend the stall vane! You'll only break it off. The Maintenance Manual has proper adjustment procedures using a screwdriver. Seems moving the vane assembly 1/4" backwards and forwards will change the stall warning by 5 knots. Loosen the screws, move the assembly, tighten up and test fly (by memory, don't ask which way increases the stall speed, I don't remember).

• Like 2

I am angry with my stall warning device...

1) I trusted that it will work when I needed it.

2) I operated the switch during my pre-flight walk around.  (Done without the master on saving electricity or effort?)

3) I hadn't heard a peep out of it for a while. Nothing during my usual landing exercises...

4) Turns out the switch gets dirty and electronically doesn't work. Similar to the flap position sensors?

5) I waited until the annual inspection to have it looked into...

A long way to say...  if the stall warning isn't working, but looks right and mechanically feels right, check that the electricity is getting there and coming out when the vane is lifted....

... and do turn the master on prior to the walk around so you can hear the stall warning! :)

... and don't wait til some point in the future to have it looks at! :)

I have found many ways to prove that modern check lists are pretty well written.

PP thoughts only, not a Cfi or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

If your storm window is open during preflight, it's easy to reach in, turn on the master then turn around and flick the stall vane. In the winter, it's hard to remember to open the storm window when getting out of the plane . . . Hearing it on landing, though, is usually enough for me,

Edited by Hank
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

For the love of Aspens 

For whatever reason if you get the warning check pitot heat, get a clog in the airspeed indicator, leave the pitot tube cover on, and/or for whatever reason the airspeed is not being detected by the Aspen --- you will get the red X on BOTH ASPENS. 

Both Aspen units will become useless in flight hence why you still required to have a backup AI.

For airspeed, use the GPS (I have a IFD 540) so when you see the ground speed and the direction of the winds, you can correct to get close enough for your true airspeed. 

My friend that flies a Mooney with all Aspens, Ebb, and No analog airspeed, DG, VSI, SATC(slip and turn coordinator).

He has educated me well for this failure. He purposely SHUT OFF THE ASPENS and then eventually the IFD540 on his aircraft (note the IFD540 would normally be the goto for wind data and GPS altitude). 

He has a hard wired iPad connected to a dedicated GA35 and UAT antenna and says if all of the fancy stuff is lost, you can still fly get some form of ground speed, wind correction data to get close enough back to IAS and GPS altitude, which is better than nothing. His final comment is you should know power settings and pitch attitude for two most needed airspeeds --- climb out and landing. 

In his mind, the aircraft is still perfectly flyable and no need to panic and bust it up.
He says its like going back to the 70's/ 80's / 90's days of flying the Cessna 152 for IFR training and even then you are still better off with your iPad and MEL compared to those days.

Overall, I wish that Aspen would update there firmware to still allow data that is being received from the RSM and/or gather data from the GPS unit to be process and displayed with a WARNING --- data unreliable and for reference only instead of just putting big X's on the screens or even better.

Garmin glass uses GPS while Aspen uses Airspeed ... if Aspen would use the GPS data as a backup --- this would be the best solution to help aid the pilot get the aircraft back on the ground with better safety margins, especially if in IMC.

Anyway -- just saying, be aware and be prepared of what to do and how to do it when all the good stuff goes wacky. Most people buy the equipment and do not understand or be aware of the chain of events when something fails, because of mis-communications, lack of studying, or just assuming that the creators of this equipment put more bullet proof concepts into it that may not be the case.

Photos of his panel is below.

Panel-1.jpg

Panel-Night.jpg

3 hours ago, thinwing said:

Seriously just what is that thing on the gear switch?

It was on the panel when I bought the plane . . . Push it to the right, raise / lower gear switch, let go and it springs back to the left. Kind of a guard on the gear switch. Factory? Aftermarket? Mod? Hangar Fairy? I've no idea . . . .

On 1/2/2017 at 3:39 PM, peevee said:

In the upper right hand corner of the bottom half that is black in his pic. Here's mine, 760fpm down. 

Left side shows ias and tas and gs

Think of the Aspen like a 6 pack. Everything is in the same place. 

IMG_20170101_131756859.jpg

Where is the (OAT) temperature in the Aspen ESV?

The OAT is displayed in the normal (non ESV) view. 

Am I missing it?  

If I am not missing it, the OAT would be nice to see in the ESV display mode.