Today's flight for 2017

bonal

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

They probably would have used the Jetway if You stayed on the yellow line.  Finding the proper stop marking for the nose wheel would require the line guys to find M20 along with the B737 and MD80 markings...

Thanks for sharing the details. Flying international in the winter really adds to the challenges.

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Brad, what was your pushback experience like???  B)

Good story, it's something that would not have occurred to me. I've heard too many tales of bad experiences with US Customs and flight delays.

That's why I didn't stay on the yellow line.  I gave myself room to turn around.  I didn't figure I'd get the whole pushback thing.   And I only had my 100 lb girlfriend with me.  She isn't any help pushing the plane while I sit in it and steer it backwards. 

• Like 1

My post-annual flight was this evening, since the weather Sunday was bad (there were 39 confirmed tornadoes from Mississippi through Georgia, more straight-wind damage, fast moving low scud, off and on rain). 

Took off at 1710 CST, as the western horizon was turning a beautiful pink. Winds were dead calm on the ground, but westerly around 15 just a thousand or two feet up. As I made the turn for crosswind, I was at 104 mph and climbing 1200 fpm! Made closed traffic, landed a little long and rolled to the end if the 3200' runway. Took off the other direction, headed up the river to the Lake, circled the dam with it on my left wingtip as I turned and went back. 2000 msl, 23/2300. Smooth . . .

Watched the little traffic below turn on their lights and dissipate as people went home for dinner. Put another 0.5 and 2 landings in the logbook. Cranked up in almost one revolution . . .

It was a great end to a busy, hectic day at work!  :)  Then home to dinner myself.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 6

On 1/23/2017 at 9:26 PM, BradB said:

I took a  nice weekend trip to Toronto (CTYZ) this weekend.  The return trip to Erie (KERI) took an interesting turn.  The departure from CYTZ was IFR and the weather into Erie was forecast to be around 1100 broken.   When I grabbed the ATIS, Erie was 400 bkn with reasonable visibility.  As I prepared to shoot the ILS 6 into Erie, I was above a layer and didn't enter the cloud/fog layer until 600 AGL.  At minimums, I was still in dense fog with nothing visible.   Missed approach and head around for one more shot.  The fog was just over the airport, 2 miles south was sunny skies.  West, the fog was patchy.  I thought it might be worth another try.  But, as I was being vectored around for another shot, the controller kept reporting a falling ceiling and decreasing RVR to about 1200.  The United flight behind me went to hold for a bit before trying the approach.   I didn't see it getting good enough for me to go in anytime soon, so I diverted to my alternate KCLE.  

There were several airports VFR that were much closer, but I had originated in Canada on a Sunday afternoon.  I had a customs appointment at KERI at 4:30 PM.  Erie approach was kind enough to call and notify Erie customs that I would not be making it in.  On the way to KCLE, I was able to get time to get in touch with flight service.  They were able to call Cleveland customs and inform them about our situation and ETA (about 20 minutes).   Customs at Cleveland is located in the main terminal at gate A-14.  I taxied up to the main terminal between a Frontier and American Airlines jet parked at the adjacent gates.   The jet bridge workers gave me some funny looks.  The customs at Cleveland was very friendly and efficient.  I was a little worried about the hassles that the diversion would create, but there were none.  They thanked us for the advanced warning and said the we were the fourth diversion there that day (the others diverted from Detroit).  Within minutes, we were taxiing to Atlantic Aviation to grab rental and drive the 90 minutes home.   I'll try to go back and grab the plane on Tuesday.

I knew that I had the customs issue hanging over me after the first missed approach.  My first priority was to set up and go to a suitable alternate and then worry about the customs when I had time.   There was an IFR mastery series about a similar issue regarding a weather diversion and customs.  Much of the expert discussion on the scenario was centered on the customs issue and it led them to suggest some things that they otherwise would not have done.   After this experience, I would say, that diversion to another airport of entry was a total non-event.   

And no, they didn't pull the jet bridge out for me.  I had to walk in.

Brad.

GREAT DECISION!!!  Always make the decision that's gives you the best and safest outcome.  You demonstrated a great "mentoring moment" for our younger/newer pilots!!

Tom

• Like 2

Didn't go fly today but I did just attend the AOPA Air Safety Institute seminar on Nontowered Case Studies. The presenter was Mark Grady, it was very educational and he was very entertaining. If there's one near you I recommend you go.

Nontowered Case Studies

I also went flying last Saturday, have it about written up but need to proof-read it... I'll post it up in the next day or two.

• Like 1

Yesterdays flight was horrible. KBVY (Beverly, MA) to 39N (Princeton, NJ). Normally about 1:25, it took just over 2 hours due to a direct headwind of 30mph+. The turbulence was also quite bad so I had pulled the power back a bit too. Had the seatbelt so tight yet still managed smacking my head off the ceiling, knocking headset off and hurting my neck. 

Today's first flight was a short one from 39N to   KMIV (Millville, NJ) to pick up a new puppy and have my own little pilots n paws flight. Flew right over KVAY, where the NJ Mooney lunch was supposed to be today. Did anyone go? I didn't have time as I was on a strict mission from the wife and kids to get the puppy home asap.

Solid overcast so had to remain low for the whole trip. KMIV to KBVY (2 hours). Some turbulence but less than yesterday.  Pup handled it like a champ.  Here he is right before I put him in crate and departed Millville.  

IMG_3362.JPG

Edited by Lance Keve
Addition
  • Like 3

Yesterdays flight was horrible. KBVY (Beverly, MA) to 39N (Princeton, NJ). Normally about 1:25, it took just over 2 hours due to a direct headwind of 30mph+. The turbulence was also quite bad so I had pulled the power back a bit too. Had the seatbelt so tight yet still managed smacking my head off the ceiling, knocking headset off and hurting my neck. 
Today's first flight was a short one from 39N to   KMIV (Millville, NJ) to pick up a new puppy and have my own little pilots n paws flight. Flew right over KVAY, where the NJ Mooney lunch was supposed to be today. Did anyone go? I didn't have time as I was on a strict mission from the wife and kids to get the puppy home asap.
Solid overcast so had to remain low for the whole trip. KMIV to KBVY (2 hours). Some turbulence but less than yesterday.  Pup handled it like a champ.  Here he is right before I put him in crate and departed Millville.  
IMG_3362.JPG

Today's weather was different in the northeast. I got a call last night to fly up to Williamsport in a buddy's J. We knew the clouds were forecasted to contain ice so we went below the deck. It wasn't very bumpy but we did have some snow squalls in the area. We did hear the Williamsport tower ask for an icing report from a Dash-8 coming. They confirmed that there was ice in dem der clouds.

Flight back was in much better conditions.

130a78fd19a508038505c184296808e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Danb said:

Nice puppy, how did he/she make out during the trek

Thanks. He handled the flight like a champ. Only whined a couple times. He's a GSP. Nine weeks old. I'll look to get him some Mutt Muffs as I'd like to fly with him more. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Today's weather was different in the northeast. I got a call last night to fly up to Williamsport in a buddy's J. We knew the clouds were forecasted to contain ice so we went below the deck. It wasn't very bumpy but we did have some snow squalls in the area. We did hear the Williamsport tower ask for an icing report from a Dash-8 coming. They confirmed that there was ice in dem der clouds.

Flight back was in much better conditions.

130a78fd19a508038505c184296808e9.jpg

Exactly. I went through a lot of flurries and heard and saw the icing reports too. 

• Like 3

Ok, I'm a little behind in posting so this is actually from last week. Just some landing practice but had a great time. Made a short video but it is a little bouncy where I had the GoPro mounted.

http://intothesky.us/2017/01/21/smoother-landings/

I got to fly this morning too and finished up my insurance required solo time. I took a "flight-seeing" trip (to borrow a term from I think it was @Hank) up around Big Bear. I found a way to mount the GoPro to the tie-down under the wing for about $5 worth of washers, a stud, and a locknut along with GoPro mounts I already had. I just need to write it up (complete with a cross-wind landing and a little wind shear) and edit the video. In the mean time here's a couple picks from my phone today.

Big Bear Airport with the lake in the background.

20170129_081429.jpg

Snow Summit

20170129_081610.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Hey Richard,

Nice work.

Are you getting the stall horn warning right at touch down?

Best regard,

-a-

On most of them I get the horn for 1-2 seconds right before the mains touch down. Those are the nice smooth landings, if only I could get them all that way... Just need more practice. :)

• Like 3

I found a way to mount the GoPro to the tie-down under the wing for about $5 worth of washers, a stud, and a locknut along with GoPro mounts I already had.

Richard, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but please note that if it takes a tool to install/remove, the mount is not legal. Pilots get away with this daily but being in SOCAL I'd be wary of a ramp check by an overly-enthusiastic agent of the FAA. A wingnut and lockwasher might be just what the doctor ordered.

P.S. Glad to see the prop governor cable readjusted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cnoe said:

Richard, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but please note that if it takes a tool to install/remove, the mount is not legal. Pilots get away with this daily but being in SOCAL I'd be wary of a ramp check by an overly-enthusiastic agent of the FAA. A wingnut and lockwasher might be just what the doctor ordered.

P.S. Glad to see the prop governor cable readjusted.

Good point, thanks. I'll have to swing by Homedepot and pick those up and swap out the locknut that I had on it. If I remember right just a couple weeks ago when MHemperly was in Camarillo for breakfast there was an FAA guy doing ramp checks.

• Like 1

Richard,

Remember that if the prop gets stuck at low rpm, it makes the go around difficult.  Full power requires full rpm.

At low rpm and full power detonation becomes a real possibility.

Disconnected power controls are too easy to fall victim to.

i'm glad you are sharing the details as you learn them.

Best regards,

-a-

This morning I went out on a glorious white bright and bluebird clear day.  It was a crisp 10F or so about the time I took off.

I was out just spreading the wings - when I saw on (practice) approach on ILS5 to MSS - I saw a big bird with its wings spread out beautifully.  It was not so close as to cause evasive maneuvers but close enough to pay special attention. Well as I got close - it was clear it was a bald eagle!  And somehow he seemed to have been maneuvering to keep safely away from me - but I might just be attributing special qualities to this special bird.  It was very magical and I wish I had my camera handy.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 6

I've been sick lately and with the storms and high winds, not too much flying on my part. Tomorrow is my first real "trip" in my Mooney. Going to Macon, GA to visit some family and see the aviation museum they have there. Saturday, we are (still) planning on going to Charleston to see the Yorktown. And the second weekend of Feb, I am flying to South Fla for a fly-in camping get together with other young pilots.

Classic lunch run today to Easton MD.  

On the way back I played with setting up and editing holds in the GTN750.  One to the right, one to the left.  Pretty neat.  Not real useful, but cool.  

Note I did NOT file but FlightAware has full info on my flights today. ADS-B (or something) via Mode S ES clearly identified & tracked me.  

IMG_5096.PNG

Edited by Jerry 5TJ
Paranoias
  • Like 1

150 miles north to Warner Robins, GA today. My first REAL trip where the flying wasn't an excuse to go, but rather a tool of transportation.  My friend's uncle has a private strip we landed at and he lent us his '68 C10 pickup for the short drive over to the museum, First leg 1:16, return trip 1:05. This grass strip was very rough compared to most I've been on. It only had 6 hangars on field and maybe half were active? Either way, a BUMPY 2600' long runway, I wanted to get airborne ASAP as my gear and back did not like it one bit so I performed the most max performance, bring-that-gear-up-now takeoff I've ever done. 2300lbs weight, wasn't an issue, but it was bumpy enough something is now loose on my landing light. I flip it on, radios and interior lights flicker, and the landing light switch flicks itsellf off. I hope its just a loose power wire, I really don't want to have to upgrade to LED just yet lol

16473926_10155010683214640_4469315623115

The museum had cool exhibits. I REALLY liked seeing a real SR-71. The older B-52 was a cool touch.

16426055_10155010683319640_4130768140580

16427612_10155010683594640_7537217221430

16298662_10155010683959640_5818484917306

16386887_10155010684539640_3820470107402

16427341_10155010704139640_2343407098150

Saturday is ramping up to be another fantastic cross country for me up to Charleston, SC. Stay tuned.

• Like 2