Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Nice work, Richard.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  

Would it be more reliable for traffic controllers to get your tail number if you throw them a pause in the right place?  

November 78  878

PP thoughts only, not a speech therapist...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I'm off to a good year.  With the headwind trip back from Florida and flight testing the Lancair, I already have almost 20 hours in this year (will be over that before today is done).  I will fly 2 hours this AM to finish off my 40 hour test time in the Lancair, and will take my building partner and best friend for his first flight in the plane he must have close to 1,000 hours helping build (no passengers allowed during Phase One Testing).

Here is the only picture I managed to take yesterday.  I had the power pulled back to a measly 27.5 gallons an hour going into the wind, seeing 135 knots GS, and pushed it up to cruise power going down wind (winds howling pretty good out of the west yesterday).  I just couldn't resist seeing what she would do with a tailwind.  I heard center calling me out as VFR traffic (verified by my ADS-B too).  I have to wonder what he thought seeing me at 133 knots west bound and almost 400 knots east bound?

Tom

Iphone 01-12-17 019.JPG

• Like 8

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nice work, Richard.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  

Would it be more reliable for traffic controllers to get your tail number if you throw them a pause in the right place?  

November 78  878

PP thoughts only, not a speech therapist...

Best regards,

-a-

That is what the previous owner had said he did to help with the confusion. I try to remember to read it off that way and when I do it helps. More repetition is what's needed.

• Like 1

Last night was fun. It really is true that Mooney's attract the women. My girlfriend invited two of her friends to come to dinner with us. The two backseaters have never been in a plane before. I almost had to hit the intercom isolate button they were "oooohing" and "awwwwing" when I rotated, banked, and saw the sunset and moonrise. Flew over downtown Jacksonville, then swept down the beach down to Flagler. I made THE BEST LANDING IN MY LIFE. Nice cool air, ~60*F, absolutely no wind. Approach was ROCK solid. Transitioned to a "flare" and held it...held it...and just felt the tires start rolling. No screech, no plunk. Just perfect. The ladies thought that was normal! haha. 

16112810_1421309401226557_66166788652955

15966166_10206264324966058_4907531817407

• Like 9

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

Last night was fun. It really is true that Mooney's attract the women. My girlfriend invited two of her friends to come to dinner with us. The two backseaters have never been in a plane before. I almost had to hit the intercom isolate button they were "oooohing" and "awwwwing" when I rotated, banked, and saw the sunset and moonrise. Flew over downtown Jacksonville, then swept down the beach down to Flagler. I made THE BEST LANDING IN MY LIFE. Nice cool air, ~60*F, absolutely no wind. Approach was ROCK solid. Transitioned to a "flare" and held it...held it...and just felt the tires start rolling. No screech, no plunk. Just perfect. The ladies thought that was normal! haha. 

16112810_1421309401226557_66166788652955

With that smirk on your face, you're starting to look like the rest of us dirty old men. ;)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

And you should let them believe that they are always like that. When you have one that isn't perfect and they're in the plane you just say, "Sorry, every now and then I have one that's like that."

• Like 6

I'm off to a good year.
Iphone 01-12-17 019.JPG

Yooper I'm surprised you didn't get a 906 N-number. Were they all taken? I'm not sure if someone brought this up before but is that headliner edge (made with fuel hose) a temporary thing? It does add some true U.P. charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Yooper I'm surprised you didn't get a 906 N-number. Were they all taken? I'm not sure if someone brought this up before but is that headliner edge (made with fuel hose) a temporary thing? It does add some true U.P. charm.

Way too funny.  I noticed that when posting it too.  My engine guy/test pilot was looking at the sharp edge on the glare shield one morning before we took off and commented " if we auger this thing in, that cutting edge on the glare shield will kill us before anything else does, actually it'll guillotine us".  Thus came the fuel line mod!

Yes, it's temporary.  Will get a much more appealing look with the final upholstery job.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

The N number derives from a couple things.  I had N929PG as my first Mooney, and loved the way "niner" rolls off the tongue (cool sounding).  I bought the kit in 1999, my daughter graduated HS in 99, and the last two of my SSN are 99.  The 4PT is what the plane is, a 4 place, pressurized, turbine, and the very abbreviation all my Lancair friends use in refering to the plane.  It is also conveniently the shorter number I use once communication is established with any ATC facility.

Where you at in "Northern Michigan"?  It's kind of funny, but no one but a true Michigander knows the difference between a Yooper and a Northern Michigander.  Most find it hard to believe a Yooper is farther north than a Northern Michigander.  Of course, the air is thinner up here so that accounts for some of our craziness.

Tom

• Like 2

On 1/11/2017 at 8:27 AM, Skates97 said:

No pictures, and maybe a short write-up later, but went out last night with my CFI and just did pattern work. Last time I flew at night was over 5 months ago in my PPL training. It was good practice, and I'm one hour closer to finishing up the dual requirements for insurance. Another 3.8 to go and I can venture out on my own. :)

Make the next flight a cross-country under the hood and start building time towards your IFR...

Flew to Camarillo for breakfast this morning from KAJO with my beautiful family. Met up with a couple other friends that flew out of the high desert KWJF. It was a bit bumpy but all in all a great flight. And Waypoint cafe is always a treat! 

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9752.JPG

• Like 8

On 1/13/2017 at 8:56 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

The N number derives from a couple things.  I had N929PG as my first Mooney, and loved the way "niner" rolls off the tongue (cool sounding).  I bought the kit in 1999, my daughter graduated HS in 99, and the last two of my SSN are 99.  The 4PT is what the plane is, a 4 place, pressurized, turbine, and the very abbreviation all my Lancair friends use in refering to the plane.  It is also conveniently the shorter number I use once communication is established with any ATC facility.

Where you at in "Northern Michigan"?  It's kind of funny, but no one but a true Michigander knows the difference between a Yooper and a Northern Michigander.  Most find it hard to believe a Yooper is farther north than a Northern Michigander.  Of course, the air is thinner up here so that accounts for some of our craziness.

Tom

Tom,

Funny you mention N929PG. I have done the annual on that bird a few times, it is based in Allentown, PA now (KXLL). Chris Z owns it now ( I don't think he is on MS). I've got about 5 hrs in the left seat. Was the panel redone when you owned it?

• Like 1

To Portland Maine with my oldest sun - Lobster run.  We had lunch and brought home some hapless lobsters.

We ate a place that had the most amazing lobster sandwich I ever had - like a lobster roll but better - the bread was toasted and soaked in butter - and we know lobster and butter is good so no surprise there - but then avocado and bacon - wow it was amazing.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Tom,

Funny you mention N929PG. I have done the annual on that bird a few times, it is based in Allentown, PA now (KXLL). Chris Z owns it now ( I don't think he is on MS). I've got about 5 hrs in the left seat. Was the panel redone when you owned it?

That was 15 years ago but I believe it had older King radios and a Loran.  No GPS.

I bought it from Bill Bain out of Falcon Field (Mesa, AZ) on April Fools Day 1996 with 1900 hours SMOH and got 2400 hours exactly before replacing the engine. The N number was his birthday 9/29 and PG was for papa & grandma.   Sold it and delivered it to a doctor based at Griffin GA with 800 hours on a Factory Reman in 2001 when I bought the Rocket.

I've checked many times over the years on Flight Aware and thought it ended up in South America.  

Is it still tan and brown?   

Tom

• Like 1

To Portland Maine with my oldest sun - Lobster run.  We had lunch and brought home so hapless lobsters.

We ate a place that had the most amazing lobster sandwich I ever had - like a lobster roll but better - the bread was toasted and soaked in butter - and we know lobster and butter is good so no surprise there - but then avocado and bacon - wow it was amazing.

If you're south in Boston there is one place I'd recommend
- Neptune Oyster in Little Italy. Last meal kind of good. Wife and I agree on that. Warm style labsta roll. The fact that they have a great rah bah makes it even betah.

Ok no more accents...

• Like 1

Finished up my dual time and got to fly solo in the Mooney yesterday.

http://intothesky.us/2017/01/14/last-cfi-flight-first-solo-in-the-mooney/

20170114_161838.jpg

Then today I got to go flying again this morning, this time in the right seat of @MHemperly's "E" as the safety pilot while he was shooting approaches for his IFR currency. I was glad he asked, I had a great time and learned a lot. Here's a few pictures from this morning.

20170115_081036.jpg20170115_082719.jpg20170115_085945.jpg

• Like 9