Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Hyatt that is an especially  sharp Mooney!

Question - the headrests seem to have a different sort of metal post than mine that allow yours to stand up quite a lot higher - and I wish mine would stand up like that since mine essentially sit low and serve as nothing other than a neck rest but if I actually lean back into them my had would roll back - so they are mostly just cosmetic.  I wish mine were like yours.

• Like 2

Sunday's flight was scuttled.   We were going to go zoom by my brother's new lake house.   Getting up it was bumpy.  Looking up at the clouds with the wisps curled said the whole flight was going to be bumpy.  Mrs. Yetti was fine, but I could not see us bumping along for an hour for a joy ride in the sky.

turned around and called it. done.  Still go to fly 2 days in a row.

• Like 1

I can sympathize, Yetti. My Friday flight was scrubbed as I didn't want to fly 380 nm with just a single magneto . . . The Saturday drive was only 10½ hours including two meal stops and one for gas. May could have hung around and flown back to Alabama on Saturday afternoon, but there was that T210 inflight breakup near Birmingham that I believe was weather-related, which (to me anyway) confirmed my No-Go deadline of Friday afternoon.

Fly safe out there, everybody!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hank said:

I can sympathize, Yetti. My Friday flight was scrubbed as I didn't want to fly 380 nm with just a single magneto . . . The Saturday drive was only 10½ hours including two meal stops and one for gas. May could have hung around and flown back to Alabama on Saturday afternoon, but there was that T210 inflight breakup near Birmingham that I believe was weather-related, which (to me anyway) confirmed my No-Go deadline of Friday afternoon.

Fly safe out there, everybody!

The flightaware track of the 210 just confirms my rule number 2 of flying.  2. No flying through front lines.   It just makes me sad.  Such a loss for no good reason.

• Like 1

An absolutely beautiful example of a Mooney @Hyett6420. It's so good of you to put so much effort and resources into one of these planes. It's easily the best looking airplane on the field. It's on my list to get a ride in your Mooney this year.  I should be in the UK two or three times this year and will definitely let you know in advance.

Well done mate!

PS... they climb a heap better with the gear up. What was taking so long? ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Have a chat with Hector at aerocomfort.  They are basically a small vertical section with a forward S and then the headrest on top.  This allows the headrest to protrude towards to you and this allows you to actually be able to put your head of it in flight AND it functions properly to protect your neck against whiplash.

Andrew

Aha - so they added that to your original headrest?

I will be talking to Hector again in about 3 weeks because he is redoing my yokes in leather when my airplane goes in for paint.  I just had my interior redone by another company, but I wonder if nonetheless he can add those S-curve bits of metal - maybe I will send him my headrests in when I send my yokes.

Yeah - for comfort and for whip lash protection - both very good reasons.  The importance of those headrests for whiplash may be less important than they are for cars (since one is rarely rear-ended in an airplane) but nonetheless I bet the risk is still and worthwhile to protect against - but if nothing else - comfort.

On 3/26/2017 at 0:14 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Here's a visitor that showed up in transient parking this morning.

I love this place!

Tom

IMG_1340.JPG

Gee, someone forgot to give them the memo that your plane will turn to a pile of corrosion if you park it in Florida.

• Like 2

Took a short night hop from Corona (KAJO) to French Valley (F70) last night just to go fly. It was a little bumpy at 3,000' cruising along at 155mph at 2,400rpm/22" (about 170mph average ground speed) on the way there. I told my wife after I got home if she had been with me I would have slowed down to smooth it out a little, but by myself I just like going fast unless it gets rough. There was a Ercoupe that landed before me at F70 and took off about 10 minutes before me. I didn't know where he was headed, but it turned out to be KAJO. I almost caught him on the 35 mile trip back. I was five miles south of the airport when he reported clearing the runway. Did I mention I like flying fast?

(Still need to finish editing the video from my flight to Mesquite a couple weeks ago and then I'll have that blog post, video, and pictures posted)

• Like 2

A friend needed a quick flight down to KDAB for a meeting and I wanted to have dinner with some friends so we went down there last night. It was the busiest airspace I've ever been in and the controllers quickly nipped at my rustiness in Class C, but it was a good review. Its given me thought to start my IFR.

17635489_10155184182139640_8814238098511

• Like 8

My first multi city mini vacation by mooney.  Flew to Charleston Executive and stayed in the battery for 2 nights.  We then left Charleston and flew to St Simons Island for a night.  Our son was on spring break with his friends, so we got to spend lunch with him while at KSSI.  First pic is Savannah, GA.  Second pic is the mooney on the ramp at KSSI.

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

• Like 7

On 3/30/2017 at 9:02 AM, rbridges said:

My first multi city mini vacation by mooney.  Flew to Charleston Executive and stayed in the battery for 2 nights.  We then left Charleston and flew to St Simons Island for a night.  Our son was on spring break with his friends, so we got to spend lunch with him while at KSSI.  First pic is Savannah, GA.  Second pic is the mooney on the ramp at KSSI.

Did you walk to the BBQ place down the street?

• Like 1

On 2017-03-19 at 10:00 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Made my second flight to Florida this morning from the U.P. of Michigan with the Lancair.  Caught a bit of tailwind making it pretty enjoyable.   Boy I love this plane!IMG_1314.thumb.JPG.92f7e33ba76779c50995fec2fdcba22b.JPG

Hey Tom,

Great meeting you last week and love your plane. If anyone has a chance to see Tom's plane in person, it's a great example of craftsmanship and clever adaption of "things"

• Like 3

You know you have the flying addiction when you fly back from Florida to the U.P. (dropping one son off in Rockford, IL) in the morning and by 3 PM you're reaching out to 10  different people to go flying (in either plane).

No takers but the Rocket was looking fore lorn in the hangar so flew it for almost an hour by myself.  

Attached a few pictures in the Lancair on the leg from Rockford to Iron Mountain and one of the Mooney winning the later flight selection for some local flying.  Boy that Rocket feels like an old comfortable pair of shoes!!

Tom

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Steve Dawson said:

Hey Tom,

Great meeting you last week and love your plane. If anyone has a chance to see Tom's plane in person, it's a great example of craftsmanship and clever adaption of "things"

Thanks Steve!  Enjoyed meeting you as well.  My son and I were picking up a second golf cart for the large family contingency we had this last week and I couldn't resist stopping by you and your plane to say hi when I saw you on the ramp.  Look forward to sharing Spruce Creek with you when we're down there.  

Tom

• Like 2

Couple of short flights yesterday and today for you guessed it... Shopping. Snoopy is running well and I think my flying was pretty good but definitely a little rusty on the approaches. Today was a bit windy and on final into WLW had to get into the power to pull it in as the wind was strong right down 34. Crossing the local mountains got pretty bumpy but nothing our Mooney couldn't handle with ease. The winds were in our favor so eased it back out of the yellow and at 120 knots indicated was getting 170 ground speed. Flying sure makes taking my wife shopping a lot more fun.

• Like 2

Flew to Bay Bridge (W29) today and what an awesome day it was for the trip. If you guys are on the east coast, this trip is a must. The food was amazing as well at Hemingway's seafood restaurant. Park on the ramp in the north east part of the airport and it's a short walk for food. Below is a picture of the view from our table as we had lunch.

IMG_2703.JPG

• Like 5

Well I got up today thinking I was just going to make a lunch run to Lake Havasu from Las Vegas. Because last night when I went to bed they were forecasting low ceilings and rain at my home base. I figured I'm never getting my new to me Mooney home.... but when I got up the weather was clearing and forecasting clear skies all afternoon in Oregon. So after loosing 4 hours to get home I jumped in the plane after preflight a little something to eat at the Sunshine and tailwinds café. I headed to Bakersfield and then North to Redding. Hoping I could make it to Oregon. Well I made it to Redding and had to call it a night. But it was a great day of flying and all the better spent in a Mooney. Not many good pictures since it was pretty hazy.

92eb060330467be7eefcfd71b05a0634.jpg44f522c616a05d9a0ade5544f471ca65.jpg1f7c9c88eee4e3f837cf22a33300b348.jpgace547013c419e016ab6f273f11ddde9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Yesterday I finally made it home. Finished the last leg from Redding RDD to John Day Oregon GCD. Its a great feeling having my new to me Mooney home after 20 days from purchasing N201NU in Kerrville Texas. She had to stay in Vegas for 15 days and dodged 80mph winds while sitting there. It wasn't as good for two other planes:( without a doubt that was the longest xcountry to date for me. And that's just the beginning of my Mooney ownership. The better half was pretty happy to have both of us home.

3b0fe29418a71d2d495fbd5c8bb5e8f0.jpge2cf173b45020d0fb9ba8e1b7d0b33c7.jpga701ef6dd2ab56f04dc5ac1b5d002dd4.jpg4a530999ee81309d42fca1b7e0c7eaf9.jpg114dc48f82dd0a6600d9b1d2d9002ec5.jpg35add97be23d70bc34ff86985ea23793.jpgb172447a5c126ad5fb4efd6437ef8b3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Charles I'm Super happy you got it and finally have it home. agreed on the Mooney smile but not so sure about the young ladys smile. Looks a bit like,   I'm not quite sure about all this.

Would love to see your new J in person your welcome to visit any time.

• Like 1