Today's flight for 2017

bonal

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

New mission for the aspen screenshots, 0 kts ground speed. 

My 68 knots was at cruise power, 142 mphi at 10,000 msl (142 + 20% = 170 mph/148 KTAS).

What are you suggesting power-wise to safely hit zero? Besides while on the ground?  ;)

My 68 knots was at cruise power, 142 mphi at 10,000 msl (142 + 20% = 170 mph/148 KTAS).
What are you suggesting power-wise to safely hit zero? Besides while on the ground?  

I’ve flown backwards in a 152 during training with my flight instructor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! Back in the air!

Many of you know that after my annual over a month ago I found a broken push rod tube and a severely bent rod not only spewing oil but making AL pixie dust in the head. Well, after a fun time replacing the jug with my friendly neighborhood A&P/IA, I took The Mistress up for a few circles around the KBPT Delta outer circle. I just didn't want to deal with Houston approach, so I stayed close to ground zero and gave the engine a nice, smooth run to set the rings. Ahhhhh...almost as good as ____, so good to be back in the air.5a3736b1d5884_N5976QFlightTest.png.1b055893d4507428d6a4f86c9238f428.png

• Like 7

Today we went to STS we had our young lady with us that is wanting to become an ATC and since the courtesy cars were out we were able to meet with the tower supervisor that I had spoken with to take a tour of the tower. He was very nice and was able to provide lots of information about the job and hiring process. After we finished we had a car so off to the mall.  Snoopey's new door looks pretty good just need to get some blue to match and shoot the accent.  As soon as we were at 300agl I let our friend take the airplane to make our turn towards home. She held in a steady climbing 30 degree bank leveled off nicely and did real well heading us towards home. After taking the airplane back she and my wife took some pics of the very beautiful sunset. I hate droughts and we may be in for another dry winter here (and God do we need some) rain but winter flying in California can be the best you can ever get.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Yesterday was my last flight with N708PJ (my other redhead).   I flew her down from Erie, PA to Fort Lauderdale Executive.   She is now in the care of Premier Airtcraft while awaiting a new forever home.  

Brad

PA46-500TP N951TB

Former M20-TN N708PJ

6978D169-7277-43DC-A71E-FCEDBDADCD70.thumb.jpeg.d5c357647806dba5333164e95759e5a7.jpeg

Edited by BradB
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

HRM:

That is true, but her words regarding clouds can be as poignant and striking as those uttered by Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, US citizen flying Spitfires in the service of the RCAF.

Hers is an utterance of despair, and his of splendour. For those at 9000’ in the middle of a squall line, it may be fear.  For the little one laying on the grass looking up at gathering cumulus, it will be some wonder, and perhaps some joy.

Perspective shapes our perspective, does it not?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

HRM:

That is true, but her words regarding clouds can be as poignant and striking as those uttered by Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, US citizen flying Spitfires in the service of the RCAF.

Hers is an utterance of despair, and his of splendour. For those at 9000’ in the middle of a squall line, it may be fear.  For the little one laying on the grass looking up at gathering cumulus, it will be some wonder, and perhaps some joy.

Perspective shapes our perspective, does it not?

I have to agree, but I really love clouds even though they often ruin my <flying> day.

The most incredibly beautiful clouds that I ever encountered were shorty after I bought my Mooney and found myself caught in rapidly deteriorating weather over Florida. I was outrunning a thunderstorm and passing a wall of clouds where flashes of lightning inside them seemed to beckon me to fly closer for a better look. I resisted, but will never forget the majesty of those formations. I've looked at clouds from both sides now and have absolutely no illusions about them.

• Like 2

We're heading to Florida tomorrow (look at first picture of my drive to work and you can see why).  Anyway, it was pretty cold this AM and I needed to get the Rocket up for a flight.  It's been 8-9 weeks since I last flew it and will be needing it next week.  I'm taking the Lancair down to Florida but hope to be flying it over to Tennessee on the 2nd or 3rd of January to my painter.  I plan to have Steve, my hangar partner and E model owner, fly my Rocket down to meet me where I can fly him back to the U.P. and head back down to the warm weather for a bit longer.

So, anyway, went up with the Mooney and it REALLY likes the COLD.  I was at 3,000 AGL by the time I turned downwind, albeit a bit of an extended pattern.  I saw a 2,000 FPM climb at 115 KIAS.  Pretty impressive performance.  Definitely no one flying today besides the commercial guys.  I guess the high for the day at -4 degrees before wind chill kept the GA folks home.

On the last photo the water coming out of the hydro dam is froze over within a mile of the outlet (just out of the picture).

Tom

12-26-17 010.JPG

12-26-17 011.JPG

12-26-17 012.JPG

12-26-17 013.JPG

12-26-17 015.JPG

• Like 4

Unless I don’t have to work tomorrow I got my last flight of the year in. Only went up for an hour to get the oil circulated before we leave for Florida. This puts me about 103.5 hours since March. It’s been a great time and thanks again for everyone’s help and posts. 8a8eeb6d100ce473fa530ef2ddf55b1b.jpgb058cb7cbff6978f4f04c47e1e2dd112.jpg3c8b8d8a80a650a8e20c4a97a2bee80d.jpg2c0e630d61ff20da8f2e52f722c16593.jpgd6397ed86396a03f57fef59a732756d7.jpg2aa4fdc6c95695caff554d617b5ed568.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

A quick question if i may.  In the good old USof A you have aeroplane shelters like the one above, basically just rooves to keep the rain and sun off.  

I think they would be a great idea for our airfields in the UK, but wondered about how wind tolerant they are?  We often get gusts of 50 knots, with high humidity (ie heavy) air.  Would they take that or do you lose the roof,  does anyone have any contacts of people who build them/ design them so i could chat?  

Thanks

Andrew

a few airports in my state have them and we see gusts higher than 50.

http://www.airport-data.com/airport/apa/aircraft-photos:188.html

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

A quick question if i may.  In the good old USof A you have aeroplane shelters like the one above, basically just rooves to keep the rain and sun off.  

I think they would be a great idea for our airfields in the UK, but wondered about how wind tolerant they are?  We often get gusts of 50 knots, with high humidity (ie heavy) air.  Would they take that or do you lose the roof,  does anyone have any contacts of people who build them/ design them so i could chat?  

Thanks

Andrew

In Texas we call them Hail Sheds. They'll survive pretty much any storm that hasn't been christened with a name.

• Like 1

Where you going in Florida?
Tom

Hey Tom,
We will be in Orlando from the 28th to the 4th. Going down for my grandmas 87th birthday and Disney World. If you are going to be in the area maybe we can meet up?
Charles

[mention=12769]xcrmckenna[/mention] what’s the tarp for?
I’m also at just over 100 hours since March and enjoying every minute. 

It is a great way to pass the time isn’t it:) I’ve started my IR training, so hopefully next year I’ll have even more time. But this winter has me wishing I had a Bravo with FIKI...

We are getting regular snow and it thaws just enough in the afternoons that it melts then freezes so I put the plastic down to protect the integrity of the apron. It makes it easy to clear off the snow and I can still push the plane back in. It’s hard to see but there is a slight up slope and would be impossible to get the plane up it by hand.

Thanks
Andrew

I think most of them handle the wind pretty well as long as they don’t close off a portion of it that is into the prevailing wind. Ours is pretty open and haven’t noticed a problem being up there during the thunderstorm season. The one problem I have heard with open hangars they don’t hold a lot of snow because a lot of them have one roof with not much of a pitch. Last winter I read about two that collapsed. Damaged four or five planes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Hey Tom,
We will be in Orlando from the 28th to the 4th. Going down for my grandmas 87th birthday and Disney World. If you are going to be in the area maybe we can meet up?
Charles

I'm at Spruce Creek Air Park in Port Orange, just south of Daytona Beach.  Just arrived this afternoon.  We'll see if we can hook up.  Not sure you can get away for 3/4 of a day but a hour and half drive would get you to this air park and a tour you would likely never forget.  

Tom

• Like 1

I'm at Spruce Creek Air Park in Port Orange, just south of Daytona Beach.  Just arrived this afternoon.  We'll see if we can hook up.  Not sure you can get away for 3/4 of a day but a hour and half drive would get you to this air park and a tour you would likely never forget.  
Tom

I’ll send you a message when I get to town.

We had an interesting trip to Florida today.   Delayed an early departure for low weather in the Daytona Beach area and some weather in southern Georgia.  Looked doable a little later so filed for a 9:15 departure.  Got the Lancair running, taxied out and tried picking my IFR Clearance up and was given a 1 1/2 hour ground stop?  I asked why and after the controller looked into it advised Florida was the issue.  I told her I couldn't sit running a prop jet that long so would taxi back and shut down.  I thought about how I could get around this but burning JetA gets really ugly below the flight levels and that was probably the only option.

When we finally got airborne a MSP Supervisor came on and apologized while trying to explain the issue.  Apparently a lot of airline traffic was backed up due to the fog as well as a ton of snow birds heading south.  

About halfway down a corporate jet tries pulling his IFR to lower Florida after already airborne and is told he has a 4 hour delay on his clearance.  He tries multiple times to negotiate but the Indy controller has no latitude to give him what he wants. He gets FL220 to the Florida border and 12k from there, which he did not have enough fuel for.  Not sure if he was trying to cheat the system or just had the terrible luck of not knowing this was happening and couldn't or elected not to get his clearance on the ground.  Either way, ATC was not giving in. 

Made us happy we just complied with the inconvenience. 

Tom

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

We had an interesting trip to Florida today.   Delayed an early departure for low weather in the Daytona Beach area and some weather in southern Georgia.  Looked doable a little later so filed for a 9:15 departure.  Got the Lancair running, taxied out and tried picking my IFR Clearance up and was given a 1 1/2 hour ground stop?  I asked why and after the controller looked into it advised Florida was the issue.  I told her I couldn't sit running a prop jet that long so would taxi back and shut down.  I thought about how I could get around this but burning JetA gets really ugly below the flight levels and that was probably the only option.

When we finally got airborne a MSP Supervisor came on and apologized while trying to explain the issue.  Apparently a lot of airline traffic was backed up due to the fog as well as a ton of snow birds heading south.  

About halfway down a corporate jet tries pulling his IFR to lower Florida after already airborne and is told he has a 4 hour delay on his clearance.  He tries multiple times to negotiate but the Indy controller has no latitude to give him what he wants. He gets FL220 to the Florida border and 12k from there, which he did not have enough fuel for.  Not sure if he was trying to cheat the system or just had the terrible luck of not knowing this was happening and couldn't or elected not get his clearance on the ground.  Either way, ATC was not giving in. 

Made us happy we just complied with the inconvenience. 

Tom

I can explain at great length what caused your delay if you really want to know. And they are correct, there is nothing that they can really do about it. I have already answered the same question at length on COPA once today.

I had that whole story posted once and just as I was about to submit I lost it.  Forgot to mention my response to the MSP Sup.  I told him no problem.  If I want to fly in the Flight Levels with the big boys I have no issue being treated like them either.  They deal with ground stops all the time.  

Tom