Today's flight for 2017

bonal

I had a trip out to one of the plants I support in the Wendover UT area yesterday. It was a beautiful day for the 1hr hop from KBMC to KENV. But the coolest thing was the courtesy car they had for me to use. In any case if you get a chance check out the airport they have a small museum showing the role of the airfield in the development and deployment of the atomic bomb in WWII.

Wendover CC.jpg

• Like 4

Flew a Pilots and Paws Flight from KBMC to KCDC on the 12th dropping off a couple of Border Collies going south to AZ for the winter. Wouldn't you know the female was looking over my shoulder the whole trip.  It was a great day to up in the air 20K overcast with stable air underneath the whole trip. I had a nice tail wind at 11.5K on the way home  (150+kt GS)

P&P 111217.jpg

P&P GS.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, astravierso said:

Flew a Pilots and Paws Flight from KBMC to KCDC on the 12th dropping off a couple of Border Collies going south to AZ for the winter. Wouldn't you know the female was looking over my shoulder the whole trip.  It was a great day to up in the air 20K overcast with stable air underneath the whole trip. I had a nice tail wind at 11.5K on the way home  (150+kt GS)

P&P 111217.jpg

Your picture reminded me of a different one from the '70s:

IMG_0880.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2017 at 10:10 AM, astravierso said:

P&P 111217.jpg

P&P GS.jpg

We have almost that exact center stack.  Just upgraded our Narco to a Garmin ADSB compliant Transponder.  I have never seen a money with ignition there...or that type of Master.  What is the story on that?

Had the best Mooney flying today...The FREE kind.  Co-Owner bought a new vehicle down by St. Louis so I ferried him down.  Nice to be right seat enjoying “the ride” on the way down.  9500 had a nice push seeing 150+ knots at 9.5GPH.  Did flight in 1.5.  My return (Photo is of Illinois River) was at 6500’ doing 140knots.  Same 1.5.  I didn’t have climb and go full throttle all the way down to 2000 for time equalizer I guess.  A great day to be up in the Midwest.

00F28AA7-4E7A-4A13-B573-D9D30C65152A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/27/2017 at 6:33 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

We have almost that exact center stack.  Just upgraded our Narco to a Garmin ADSB compliant Transponder.  I have never seen a money with ignition there...or that type of Master.  What is the story on that?

The the master and ignition switches are right where Al wanted them for the "B" model. The master switch is actually a cable connected to a blade switch which is located in the engine compartment (Old School mechanical over electrical system) to disconnect the battery. The center stack in the pic is actually an "upgrade" I did this summer. The plane had a KT76 transponder and a KY 195 Comm in it when I bought it.

• Like 1

Got to do plenty of aviating over the Thanksgiving holiday. The short and skinny:

TTA (Raleigh) to FYJ (West Point VA) to bring the little one to her auntie and uncle’s house. 

FYJ to ILM for a few days for work  

ILM to IGX (Chapel Hill) to pick up the MRS

IGX back to FYJ to spend time with family  

FYJ to the land of @carusoam 39N to see my grandmother (and parents too).  

Back to FYJ the same night.

Back to IGX and then TTA the next day.  

Broke the 700 hr Mark...

Beautiful Weather the whole weekend 

The best part of course was letting my little copilot fly.  She did as well as or better than most adult non pilots that have flown with me.   She flew for 5 minutes and could keep the wings level or turn left or right - she’s an amazing natural - she would reference out the right wing or the AI and was loving every minute of it   

40242D1E-65D3-42B4-9880-45E2530C09A7.jpeg

B4EC9E68-7E38-470B-9D11-04E320D87FE4.jpeg

0FEEEAFA-3B80-4167-8C7F-AA80B8E569B7.jpeg

9F4BD6A2-8996-4E6B-9A2E-72359A5C8BA0.jpeg

3E3690A3-9DC0-4C87-9596-3C7F2B47DF43.jpeg

• Like 8

Had a good time flying around the state today. Participated in the Operation Good Cheer hauling presents to people in need. Had a nice Acclaim land at Pontiac (PTK) while I was getting registered. Took off into beautiful weather headed to Traverse City (TVC). Spent most of the time under the hood hand flying and was pretty tired after a few approaches on the way home.  All in all a great way to spend a Saturday. 12C8DD06-F07A-4756-B71E-41726B69C0B8.thumb.jpeg.bfc1744a54d31f34dd69d6c003ad6d0f.jpeg84AB084B-6A3E-48CA-AE6A-C456E56C7EA6.thumb.jpeg.7363eef565f539e42e169d4693cb84f7.jpegAE941530-54BA-487F-80E7-4B7C33A6527B.thumb.jpeg.6db43f49debc849fd962b5062f04787a.jpeg

• Like 4

Does this fog make my tail look skinny?  That weak front that came through Thursday stalled around the Florida panhandle left some serious fog.  An 8 am departure changed to an 12:30 departure.   It was green to the west. The tower is hidden in the fog across the field

fog_pas.jpg

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 3

On 11/30/2017 at 9:17 AM, bradp said:

Got to do plenty of aviating over the Thanksgiving holiday. The short and skinny:

TTA (Raleigh) to FYJ (West Point VA) to bring the little one to her auntie and uncle’s house. 

FYJ to ILM for a few days for work  

ILM to IGX (Chapel Hill) to pick up the MRS

IGX back to FYJ to spend time with family  

FYJ to the land of @carusoam 39N to see my grandmother (and parents too).  

Back to FYJ the same night.

Back to IGX and then TTA the next day.  

Broke the 700 hr Mark...

Beautiful Weather the whole weekend 

The best part of course was letting my little copilot fly.  She did as well as or better than most adult non pilots that have flown with me.   She flew for 5 minutes and could keep the wings level or turn left or right - she’s an amazing natural - she would reference out the right wing or the AI and was loving every minute of it   

40242D1E-65D3-42B4-9880-45E2530C09A7.jpeg

B4EC9E68-7E38-470B-9D11-04E320D87FE4.jpeg

0FEEEAFA-3B80-4167-8C7F-AA80B8E569B7.jpeg

9F4BD6A2-8996-4E6B-9A2E-72359A5C8BA0.jpeg

3E3690A3-9DC0-4C87-9596-3C7F2B47DF43.jpeg

Nice!  I broke the 800 hour total time mark with my last journey...I hope kids enjoy reading through my log books some day...A LOT of events are mentioned over the years in the comments.

• Like 2

Had a couple interesting moments in 10 hours of flying this weekend with controllers.  I got my clearance to Spruce Creek (south of Daytona Beach) on the ramp at KOSU (Ohio State University Airport, just outside Columbus OH).  I had filed FL270 and was given 3,000', expect 270 in 10 minutes.  After I thought about it a minute, I called the ground controller back at OSU and asked "how long before I will get higher, I will be to 3,000' in about a minute?"  He responds that will be up to Columbus Approach, but I believe I planted the seed.  The Lancair is on steroids in colder weather, and to get the gear in the wells before passing 120 knots, the climb angle looks like a rocket (initially about 4,000' a minute).  I got handed over the departure before crossing the end of the runway.

Coming out of Spruce yesterday, they will never give you your clearance (or allow you into their Class C airspace) until you have flown out from under the ring (under 1200' no less).  Anyway, I finally call them when I'm climbing just west of their precious Class C and get my filed ROYES  CRG  KOSU route as filed, but radar vectors to Royes.  I'm climbing pretty fast, which helps get them moving handing me off to the next controller.  I got the north DAB approach controller for just a minute or two and then was handed off to JAX center.  Reporting up JAX Center says "cleared to destination, via Ann Arbor.... KOSU" (Ann Arbor is a long ways north of Columbus OH).  I look at my passenger (Joe) and said "what did he say?"  He heard the same thing so I call back and ask him to repeat the "intermediate way point to me".  He laughs and says, Ann Arbor, then KOSU.......GO BLUE!!!   After a few laughs I verify I can go direct to KOSU and report, I'm actually a Michigander, I'm dropping an Ohio State guy off before going home.  BTW, this is the morning after the OSU / Wisconsin Big 10 championship game.  When he handed me off 10 minutes later I heard "GO BLUE" one more time and a laugh.  He must be from up north.  Good thing I didn't tell him I'm a MSU fan (Lansing)!!  I would have got KOSU via Atlantic City.

Nice to see a controller having fun.

Tom

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Last Sunday took a nice flight to VCB to begin the Christmas season.  beautiful weather and as always Snoopy showed us how much he prefers the cold of winter.  heading home climbing for vfr 6500 there were many clouds forming and things got pretty bumpy the bottoms were at about 6500 so chose to go lower.  I really cant believe how much more performance I get when things are nice an cool outside.  now to solve my radio transmit problem

• Like 1

Finally got back up in the air after a few weeks. The 830 works great and the SL-40 that was put in sounds amazing compared to what I was using. The new Zeftronics VR probably is playing a role in that as well. The generator that they put in also charges so I'm all set for more flying. It was bumpy for the couple trips I took around the pattern to check everything out, winds 040 10G19 for runway 07.

Best part of it was seeing this paint job at the field.

20171209_132503.thumb.jpg.cd4a6acf9e4a8b765ffac9d0558f5d0f.jpg

• Like 2