Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Running from Harvey and going to BurningMan. Friday's flight was from Texas to California.The Texas to Flagstaff leg was all about dodging weather. the Flagstaff to Napa leg was FL200 over the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and the Sierra Nevada's. I left San Marcos, TX just after noon and arrived in Napa before sundown.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 2.53.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 2.54.06 PM.png

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

• Like 3

Well I wasn't able to head south yesterday after work because of the thick smoke so I missed the LASAR fly in. I was hoping to see friends and meet new ones. But this morning it cleared up to the north enough to do my adsb rebate flight and passed with this flight. So at least I made a little money now to spend it on buying the McGregor fight:)

bc046e69dd7f656db7919a6ad594461e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went over to Brunswick, ME for an airshow.  My youngest and I left Rutland in the early AM and went up to pick up my oldest in Burlington then we set off for Maine. 1:28 for the flight and a great view of Mt. Washington on the way over in smooth cool air.59a35928e5d81_ScreenShot2017-08-27at7_40_20PM.png.07beb903ca6379132df9eb56579ceddb.png

IMG_2027.thumb.jpg.db546aa8a2c93f486f48e36e7ab12eae.jpg

I don't get as much time as I would like with either of them but having the two of them together is rare and something I cherish deeply.

• Like 3

I flew 1 hour across the Cascades to deliver my daughter's birthday present (3 six packs of Leinkugels Sunset Wheat that I picked up while in Oshkosh).  Also delivered the stuff that didn't fit in her trailer when she moved 6 weeks ago to her new job at Daroga State Park on the Columbia River.  I fit it all in the Mooney moving van.  Landed at 2S5 Waterville, in the middle of wheat farming country. Only other airplane on the ramp was a 231.  It was gone when I came back 4 hours later.  Photo of river is view from her front door.  Aerial photo shows island campground at her park. Breakfast at quaint cafe. Good Sunday flight.

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

• Like 4

Finally had time to check the Bahamas - Bimini. Short trip this morning, had a can of Coke at the local restaurant and I was back home for lunch. Easy in and out. No issues at Opa Locka. 

Was this test flight or do you normally take international flights to buy soft drinks
What's the additional customs charges to do that?

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Was this test flight or do you normally take international flights to buy soft drinks emoji4.png
What's the additional customs charges to do that?

Yes, that was most expensive Coke I ever had. But I think it tasted better then one from the supermarket. 

Bimini arrival fee $50, departure tax $29, taxi cab $5, 20 gal of fuel.  View from the cockpit priceless. 

Next trip will be scubadiving. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

Yes, that was most expensive Coke I ever had. But I think it tasted better then one from the supermarket. 

Bimini arrival fee $50, departure tax $29, taxi cab $5, 20 gal of fuel.  View from the cockpit priceless. 

Has anyone ever had fuel stolen from there Mooney while in the Bahamas?

What if while on Bimini someone took fuel from your plane, I see there is no fuel there!

1 minute ago, Rookie said:

Has anyone ever had fuel stolen from there Mooney while in the Bahamas?

What if while on Bimini someone took fuel from your plane, I see there is no fuel there!

Never crossed my mind. Do you know anybody who has that kind of experience from Bahamas or somewhere else? 

18 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

I was gonna say, if you don't like the coke with HFCS they sell the mexican coke with cane sugar closer to home for a lot less.

6 minutes ago, peevee said:

I was gonna say, if you don't like the coke with HFCS they sell the mexican coke with cane sugar closer to home for a lot less.

I was just kidding. I never drink sodas. I have no idea what's better or worse. This was my first Coke in probably 10 or more years. And only reason to have it was that they had literally nothing else. No food, no drinks, no chips, no snacks.  Only Coke and alcohol. 

This photo at 11,500MSL was from yesterday evening on the way from my home base to KARB to visit family. Flight was delayed two hours due to oddball cloud coverage. Today's flight back home didn't have anything interesting to show. Am I nuts for flying VFR over-the-top so much? Seems the only way I can go places in the Great Lakes region. Yeah it's time to get my IFR ticket. I'm sick of being grounded because of these low 1000AGL puffy clouds that are only about 250FT thick. But it sure is fun to fly around the big towering CB's.

203648c6dec1fd52b686a3a5ebe28b4a.jpg

**Edit** Oh I forgot to mention how neat it was to see the Blue Angels zipping around in diamond formation at my 1 o'clock as I departed Runway 6 at KARB. Apparently there was an air show at KYIP Willow Run today. If I had Yooper's Lancair I would have joined in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Made a quick weekend trip to Chandler, AZ (KCHD) with my son to visit my folks. Had a great time, got out of town ahead of a big thunderstorm.

Its Hot in Phoenix

20170826_092319.thumb.jpg.c8010cdf3f36b7f370ea598f3ac9fc23.jpg

He looks too old to be sitting in the back:)  When I was his age my dad used me as an auto pilot.  Early on I was just a wing leveler, but after some practice my dad got alt hold too!

• Like 5

Really too hot to fly. After getting to STS in the late morning we were headed home and by the time we were taxi out it was about 107 degrees on the OAT. This would not have been a problem except for the long hold short waiting while an incoming jet to land on the opposite runway. By the time we hit the gas cylinder temp was near 400 and oil was over 2.  Took a good bit of finess to keep things in the green and still get enough performance to climb high enough for the mountains ahead. Was able to get cylinder temp back down to 400 but that was the hottest I have ever seen it get. Otherwise an ok flight but landing at home was with an unexpected bounce. Ah me.