Today's flight for 2017

bonal

A new personal altitude record for me today. FL250. I was pushing it pretty hard and it was drinking a lot of fuel. I did notice one cylinder getting a little warm and a touch of cowl flaps cooled it right down. The infinitely variable cowl flaps on the 252 are nice to have. You can really cover some country at these speeds.

This was KSQL to KVGT

IMG_2736.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ive updated it now Hank. :)  

I saw them yesterday, didn't think they had been there before. Proud daddy, nervous daughter finished with school and ready for the Real World!

• Like 3

On 7/25/2017 at 8:29 AM, Skates97 said:

Looks like Van Nuys? I've flown past there a number of times. (Although I must confess I don't know why it's famous...)

Busiest municipal airport in the country... also home of the documentary One6Right. Was based there for a year and a half. Fun times! 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2017 at 4:03 AM, gsxrpilot said:

A new personal altitude record for me today. FL250. I was pushing it pretty hard and it was drinking a lot of fuel. I did notice one cylinder getting a little warm and a touch of cowl flaps cooled it right down. The infinitely variable cowl flaps on the 252 are nice to have. You can really cover some country at these speeds.

This was KSQL to KVGT

IMG_2736.jpg

What happened to your fuel gauges?

Actually had to drive to the graduation this weekend, but we did fly to KRYY for the pinning ceremony last week. My daughter graduates magma cum laude with a bachelors degree in nursing. Best of all, she is already employed.  My son leaves for university of central Florida in 3 weeks to start a degree in computer game design.  We will officially be empty nesters at that point  

IMG_3210.JPG

• Like 7

11 hours ago, rbridges said:

She wanted mother baby but she got a job at the children's hospital in Atlanta. 

That's a great hospital to start in. She will do well there! Mom/baby is a hard area to get into. ER and OR are a close 2nd and usually require a contract committment. Personally how anyone does not want to work in the ED is a mystery to me :)

• Like 1

After being down in the shop for 7 months, we finally got to fly in July. It certainly doesn't compare to Brian's July, but it's been a good month of flying nonetheless.

Approximately 7300 nautical miles and 54 hours of flight time.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 1.48.39 PM.png

• Like 11

Trip to visit family and celebrate our nephews west coast wedding he was married earlier this year in NY at Westpoint where he is stationed so he and his new bride came out west to where he grew up to celebrate with all the family out here. Had a nice flight but high OAT as always takes a bit of performance out of our little C made a nice trip home above all the traffic cruising at 2450 20 giving us 136 knots true. 

17 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

After being down in the shop for 7 months, we finally got to fly in July. It certainly doesn't compare to Brian's July, but it's been a good month of flying nonetheless.

Approximately 7300 nautical miles and 54 hours of flight time.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 1.48.39 PM.png

So you flew right over Oshkosh and you didn't stop?

Tom

Fun day to fly up to see family in Marion, Indiana from Cincinnati Lunken. 55 minutes beats the heck out of 3 hour 20 minutes in the car. First time the rear seat was occupied. Older daughter enjoyed flying up and then they both napped on the way back home.

8c2e73d01c78dc5d89b3cc7fa5f84fdb.jpg

• Like 6

The company has a new every other friday off policy for the summer. 

So we went down to Port Aransas.   1 Mooney Hour vs. 3.5 car hours.

Shot the gap on some rain showers.  

Did the beach thing.

Got my fill of seafood for time.

Used the cooler A/C on the trip down.     It worked well for takeoff and arrival.  

Flew into Ingleside to get a rental car.

somestorms.jpg

lessstress.jpg

seafood.jpg

• Like 5

Austin to San Bernardino on Friday, SBD to San Carlos on Monday and I'll go SQL to Las Vegas today. It's good to be flying again.

5977589fb14be_ScreenShot2017-07-25at7_39_43AM.thumb.png.6a633500cb74ffa2e22bd7c4421e6c8e.png
IMG_2709.jpg.4ba5e7493bc4dedd37aa16db0d2fe6e1.jpg
IMG_2640.jpg.022218bd7eb7d6aa96dd55c3c165761c.jpg
Anyone recognize this famous airport?
IMG_2700.jpg.ae3051e40109553d263e51d5e02195d1.jpg

Wow, just watched 16 Right The Romance of Flying on DVD last week for the first time. Yeah, I recognize that airport. Great documentary that I suspect almost every pilot has watched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Sooooo far behind on posting, which is what happens when you travel almost every weekend in the month. There is a flight to UT, another to ID (including Yellowstone), and one to AZ that I need to finish up. The posts are almost done but need to put together pictures and video. However this past Thu-Sat my wife and I flew into Oceano L52 for a night of camping and then over to Santa Ynez KIZA for a night in Solvang, CA.

Just an FYI, Check lists aren’t just for flying and diversions aren’t just for airports…

Oceano, CA (L52) Airplane Camping – Santa Ynez (KIZA) to Solvang, CA

46.thumb.JPG.d31731fa08d27689e7946a4edcf9ef8d.JPG58.thumb.jpg.31a699b3faa21ea6d34943dd86d5812b.jpg

• Like 6

It may be pretty mundane to many of you but I used my Mooney to do my work commute for the first time this week.  I have been working a contract in Boston, MA but live near Rutland, VT.  My Tuesday morning commute starts off around 4:00am to be in for early meetings.  That got cut down to 38 minutes air time and another 30 minutes from KOWD into the customer site.  Amazing to get into the meetings and not be exhausted from the drive and in a pretty lousy mood from the BOS traffic.  The way out today was a bit more interesting since they were calling for heavy thunderstorms.  I hit a wall of rain as soon as the gear was up in the wells and my strike finder earned it's keep most of the way home.  The return trip was 58 minutes from KOWD to KRUT due to the dancing between the dots I was having to do.  Not as cool as going someplace interesting but huge for me.  Yea Mooney!

• Like 6

Today's flight was not a flight, but was really just as fun. We went to the Nixon Library and listened to Don Brown and Captain Jerry Yellin. Captain Yellin flew P-40's, P-47's, and P-51's in the Pacific Theater. He was in the first P-51 flights into Iwo Jima, before we had even secured the island and he flew 19 long range missions to Japan. He also flew the last combat mission of the war. He is now 93 years old and still as sharp as can be. In 2015 he visited Iwo Jima and gave the following interview.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/395572/jerry-yellin-world-war-ii-veteran-interview

Writer and for JAG officer Don Brown saw that interview and was inspired to meet him and see if he could write Captain Yellin's story. That was done and is told in the book "The Last Fighter Pilot."

It was a great hour. Don Brown told some of the story and then Captain Yellin told of his life after the war. He spoke of being married to his wife for 65 years before she passed away. He spoke of his kids. He spoke of going to visit Japan about 30 years ago and meeting the people for the first time. That visit led to one of his sons moving to Japan after graduating from San Diego State who then met and married a Japanese girl who was the daughter of a Kamikaze Pilot who had survived the war.

He is making other appearances at book signings across the country. You can see his schedule on his website. If you have a chance, I would highly recommend it.

http://captainjerryyellin.com/

One last story. He took questions for about 20 minutes at the end. One person asked him what it was like to fly the P-51. Remember this is coming from a 93 year old man. His response (somewhat paraphrased, although the last part is a quote) was:

I remember the first time I made love to a woman. It was a long time ago, but I remember it. I flew the Stearman and that was a great plane. Then I flew the P-40, it was the best fighter plane we had at the time. Then I flew the P-47 and it was a difficult plane to fly. It was really mushy and unresponsive and it took a lot of strength to fly it. Then I got to fly the P-51 and you could fly it just with your finger tips. "It was like making love to Betty Grable. Did that answer your question?"

He is a very humble man, and it was a pleasure to spend an hour listening to him.

• Like 5