Today's flight for 2017

bonal

I got to fly in a brand new $45M B737 on its delivery flight.  My friend is a chief pilot for SWA.  Flew about an hour from Boeing Field, then dropped it off at Paine Field for installation of Wi-Fi system.  The "busy" photo is the gear wheel well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

All in all a good day to cross at least half of the country in a Mooney. Almost 1600 miles.

How long and how many gallons?

12 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Now that's what I'm talking about!  My motto has always been "it's not truly a cross country flight until you are still outbound after your first fuel stop".  You did 3 of them!

Tom

Ehem... -_-

• Like 4

On 7/18/2017 at 7:07 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Now that's what I'm talking about!  My motto has always been "it's not truly a cross country flight until you are still outbound after your first fuel stop".  You did 3 of them!

Tom

13 hours ago, 201er said:

Ehem... -_-

Sorry 201er.  Yes you get kudos too.  But you and I seem to be on the short list of flyers that do over 1,200 nautical miles on one tank of fuel, which kind of shoots my original theory in the foot.  I didn't envision back then owning a plane like I do now, and surely didn't (and don't ) have the back side to handle the long ones you do.  I can do those long ones because of speed.  You do them because of tenacity and borderline craziness.

Tom

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Sorry 201er.  Yes you get kudos too.  But you and I seem to be on the short list of flyers that do over 1,000 nautical miles on one tank of fuel, which kind of shoots my original theory in the foot.  I didn't envision back then owning a plane like I do now, and surely didn't (and don't ) have the back side to handle the long ones you do.  I can do those long ones because of speed.  You do them because of tenacity and borderline craziness.

Tom

I can do 1k east bound. Not west. Why would I want to go that far east? :D

On 7/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, sgrooves said:

Didn't take any pictures, but today I passed my instrument check ride. Oddly enough, and I didn't realize until this evening, it was EXACTLY 2 years from my first solo flight.

Getting my instrument rating in my own plane was a huge driver behind the purchase of my Mooney. I made it a goal to pass as soon as possible. Took the written as soon as I put a deposit down on the plane.

Got my Mooney last May and after learning the plane (and dealing with some squawks), I started my IFR training in January this year. Took about a month off in between for annual/vacation. Excited to get the certificate wet on a long cross-country from NC to WI next week (no, not OSH)! I'll be sure to add photos then.

Congrats!

• Like 1

I flew down to a Hamburger Social for supper last evening.  Got to see an ex-Lancair builder/owner that I had helped close one wing (for which he returned the favor and drove up to my shop to close one of mine as well).  I hadn't seen him in 5 years, got to see my Lancair completed and watched my start-up and departure.  I had to watch a system moving in in the event a deviation was required.  It wasn't, but got pretty rough as I passed the leading edge of it coming in near Green Bay.

I will pass 135 hours this morning when we go to KIWD to close on a new semi-truck!     150 hours, here we come!

Tom

7-19-17 Racine flight.JPG

7-19-17 Racine Flight Aware.png

• Like 5

8347147B-D1EC-4F67-8213-14EA6E199298.thumb.JPG.b610652a99724a1e7a999d37d2c7d5fc.JPGIMG_0029.thumb.PNG.fc4f2ffe318750f790e49c4a5e75b141.PNG1A18EB3E-B3F5-4BB2-AEC6-285F96AA2358.thumb.jpg.62571b0300e43eebe989cfcd9aeea179.jpg@Yooper Rocketman I had to avoid a similar storm yesterday on the way to Boston.   Residual from yours? Thanks.

I am headed to LA right now with my butt planted in a United seat.   I flew my daughter to Boston so that we could pick up one of her friends to take to LA with us for the weekend.   Sunday we'll fly back to Boston and then my daughter and I will head home in 8PJ.

Parked next to a nice looking O2 on the ramp at Signature (KBED).

Brad

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, BradB said:

8347147B-D1EC-4F67-8213-14EA6E199298.thumb.JPG.b610652a99724a1e7a999d37d2c7d5fc.JPGIMG_0029.thumb.PNG.fc4f2ffe318750f790e49c4a5e75b141.PNG1A18EB3E-B3F5-4BB2-AEC6-285F96AA2358.thumb.jpg.62571b0300e43eebe989cfcd9aeea179.jpg@Yooper Rocketman I had to avoid a similar storm yesterday on the way to Boston.   Residual from yours? Thanks.

I am headed to LA right now with my butt planted in a United seat.   I flew my daughter to Boston so that we could pick up one of her friends to take to LA with us for the weekend.   Sunday we'll fly back to Boston and then my daughter and I will head home in 8PJ.

Parked next to a nice looking O2 on the ramp at Signature (KBED).

Brad

Yep, looks like the same system.  Checked you on Flight Aware.  No grass growing under the tires on your Mooney!  

Nice looking bird!

Tom

• Like 4

Had to make another run for supplies and as always Snoopy was a fun time saving way to do it. Flying home in near 100 degrees at takeoff and was pleased to see a drop of 15 degrees in oil temps since replacing the vernatherm in identical conditions as when it rose to its highest ever. As we were crossing Clearlake (which is a funny) name since it gets so much green during the heat of summer we passed over this bloom that was quite unusual. Never seen it get that color before. In its defense I must add that Clearlake is considered the oldest lake on the Western Hemisphere possible that it's over 160k years old.  Very shallow water so sun penetration reaches the bottom makes things grow. It's also one of the best large mouth bass lakes in the country. As always good to be flying.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

b87473aa4bad62f0fc2d24201c1f8d04.jpg

Flight from CGF to TYS today. Departed and climbed from 2000 to 7000 mostly in imc, then up to 10k. It doesn't show on flight aware really, but we made our way through a huge blob and another line in KY. The blob wasn't too bad of precip, but the sink was really slowing me down to maintain alt. Big time. So, I went a little east to get out of the sink. It was nice to get the experience.

• Like 3

Made a quick hop up to Burlington, VT KBTV to pick up my son and daughter in-law then over to Lake Placid, NY for some lunch and wandering around.  I failed to preflight the social calendar for Lake Placid and found that there was a Ironman race going on.  That would have been really neat except the course ran past the airport on the only access road and had the route totally closed to vehicle traffic.  So we enjoyed a 2.4 mile walk each way.  Still managed lunch but the wandering around was spent hoofing it back out to the airport.  The worst part was I felt like I couldn't even complain about the walk with all of the competitors going by.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Austin to San Bernardino on Friday, SBD to San Carlos on Monday and I'll go SQL to Las Vegas today. It's good to be flying again.

Anyone recognize this famous airport?

IMG_2700.jpg

Looks like Van Nuys? I've flown past there a number of times. (Although I must confess I don't know why it's famous...)

• Like 1

Austin to San Bernardino on Friday, SBD to San Carlos on Monday and I'll go SQL to Las Vegas today. It's good to be flying again.

Whatsamatter Paul?!! You didn't like the weather in Maine?

You're gonna wear that new K out before you even get to know her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Took off work early met my wife at the hangar for a hop over the hill to take care of an appointment in town. Just a short flight 15 minutes vs one and a half hours drive each way. I sometimes think we get the most utility out of our Mooney as anyone around. 

• Like 3