Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Over 1400 nautical miles flown, another state (Idaho) checked off the list, three new airports visited, met two Mooneyspacers ( @astravierso and @1964-M20E), and the first trip long enough that I had to stop for fuel before reaching my final destination. It was a great Idaho Adventure on Father's Day Weekend.

Idaho Adventure

Here's video from one leg, there are a bunch more videos, a whole lot of pictures, and the write- up on my website.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

That @1964-M20E sure gets around, using his Mooney as it was intended to be used. I first met him on the ramp at I19 in Fairborn OH and have seen him at Mooney Summit and Sun-N-Fun. Go John! 

Hey that is what it is for.

Looking to make a trip to Canada while I'm there just to say I did it.  Still need to work out all the logistics.  Still need to hit several more N. Western states while I'm here.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Hey that is what it is for.

Looking to make a trip to Canada while I'm there just to say I did it.  Still need to work out all the logistics.  Still need to hit several more N. Western states while I'm here.

Fly into West Yellowstone and check Montana off the list.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Fly into West Yellowstone and check Montana off the list.

You can't check Montana off the list with only a trip to West.  That is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

FINALLY!! The 252 is out of the shop and airworthy again. It's got a resealed right wing, a repaired spar cap, and a new panel. All in only seven months! 

Yesterday we flew from Austin to Minneapolis for a backyard BBQ. I know you're thinking we went the wrong direction for BBQ. Then today we flew from Minneapolis to Brunswick, Maine. It was all IFR, and lots of IMC.  We got some overwater time on three of the Great Lakes. The original plan was two legs, but we broke up the second leg into two just to be sure and have plenty of fuel for any and all diversions we might need. And we needed a few. All in all, a good way to get across the country and a good plane to do it in.

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.20.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.19.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.18.40 PM.png

• Like 11

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

FINALLY!! The 252 is out of the shop and airworthy again. It's got a resealed right wing, a repaired spar cap, and a new panel. All in only seven months! 

Yesterday we flew from Austin to Minneapolis for a backyard BBQ. I know you're thinking we went the wrong direction for BBQ. Then today we flew from Minneapolis to Brunswick, Maine. It was all IFR, and lots of IMC.  We got some overwater time on three of the Great Lakes. The original plan was two legs, but we broke up the second leg into two just to be sure and have plenty of fuel for any and all diversions we might need. And we needed a few. All in all, a good way to get across the country and a good plane to do it in.

Looks like that map of yours will need some serious updating by the time you get back home!

14 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

What altitude were you at going over Lake Michigan?

My flight today was pretty boring, no pictures either. Hot, humid, hazy, maybe 1500-1600 broken, and the holes were hard to see up close. So I landed, cranked the truck, turned on the AC and put the plane away--made for a pleasant ride home.

Looks like my long-running magneto issues are over. And the new ignition harness looks and works great, too.  :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

What altitude were you at going over Lake Michigan?

11,000.  I debated quite a bit the day before about going over, or going around. I decided that from 11,000 I could just about get to shore at any point in the crossing. We had a pretty good tail wind and could have turned to a Easterly heading for even more tailwind and shorter distance if we had a problem. 

• Like 2

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

11,000.  I debated quite a bit the day before about going over, or going around. I decided that from 11,000 I could just about get to shore at any point in the crossing. We had a pretty good tail wind and could have turned to a Easterly heading for even more tailwind and shorter distance if we had a problem. 

I had been thinking about crossing north of where you went, near Green Bay , but figured there would still be about 10-15 minutes of hope and prayer based on gross weight.  My POH only lists glide ratio at gross. 

It had been a week and one half since I was up, terrible weather and fixing some squawks.  I'll never get this thing painted if I don;t get the hours on it though.  Yesterday was a beautiful day so decided to go up after dinner.  I called 7 different people to go flying and ended up solo again.  I flew up to the top of Michigan (the Keweenaw Peninsula), passing right over the Houghton / Hancock Airport.  You can see the peninsula stretching out into Lake Superior, and the hilly terrain along the spine of it.  That's really nice snowmobile and biking territory with a view of Lake Superior to the east and west along parts of it.  I was high to add pressurization time to the fuselage (one of my goals before paint) with a cabin pressure of 6K while flying at 17.5K.

The Mooney was not looking happy when I shut down in front of the hangar.  :>)  

It's a pretty tight squeeze getting 3 birds in a 42' x 64' hangar.

Tom

July 2, 2017 045.JPG

July 2, 2017 043.JPG

July 2, 2017 039.JPG

July 2, 2017 037.JPG

July 2, 2017 014.JPG

• Like 10

I went out today to shoot some circuits in my RV-4.  While holding short I look out to see a B-17  approaching to fly over head the field.

"Tower forget the circuits, I'm going to chase that B-17" 

I was able to fly a loose formation with "Sentimental Journey" who was transitting southern Ontario on its way to North Bay Ontario for an air show.  What a great flight!

Sadly I had no camera or cell phone to snap some pictures!

Clarence

Last week was a whirlwind.  

Flight Review Monday

Travel to California on SWA Tuesday

Return from CA on SWA.  Then decided to fly the Mooney for Dinner.

Friday flew Mooney to business lunch meeting

Sunday flew to lunch

Fun times zipping around Texas in the Mooney

• Like 3

Tucson to LA today (KAVQ-VICKO-KNVY). 10,500 ft cruise. The B-Kool was amazing. It was over 100ºF on the ground when I left Tucson. I pre-cooled the cabin and kept it on until I leveled off. Then turned the B-Kool off and opened the vents. Then descending through 8,000 ft I closed the vents and turned the B-Kool on though taxi and shut down. It was a VERY pleasant flight, just a little bumpy on climb out, then a perfect flight. It was right at 2:30 and 28 gallons. The forecast was a 17 kt headwind that seemed about right. I put two large blocks of ice in the cooler and about half to two thirds of one of them was left when I shut down.

Burbank.jpg

Palm Springs.jpg

Colorado River.jpg

Gila Bend.jpg

• Like 4

I was going to fly today but it looks like we're about to get nailed by afternoon storms. I wonder who visited Ocala today?[mention=10018]Hector[/mention]

IMG_20170703_160802988.thumb.jpg.3b4bcc44fe51a4682dfc05064672afe1.jpg

Yes, that was me. Helping another Mooneyspacer put new rubber (tires) in his Mooney. Went to Williston (X60) and shot a few practice landings. Today, the 4th of July, I celebrated Independence Day by braking the bonds of earth (it felt that way) and taking an Instrument competency check ride in the Mooney with a very good CFII. Learned something new so a good day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I didn't fly anywhere today but did spend some time out at the hangar working on a few things. I also added a flag today which I've been wanting to do for a while. I put a new flag on the house and moved the old one to the hangar. 20170704_131323.thumb.jpg.f5730e284ac6c899cfd90d7abf6e038c.jpg

• Like 5