Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Don't like the heat made a morning run for supplies to WLW and it was over a hundred when we left to come home. Snoopy ran fine but oil temp is concerning. Will be discussing the issue during annual next month. Had to go easy to get the temp under control. Cylinder is fine around 370 and pressure is at 70psi. Summer is definitely here.

almost forgot there was a nice short body that landed just ahead of us it was white with red and orange accent and a 3 blade prop. A couple of gents were at the pump when we pulled by. Gave them a friendly wave as we passed by.

• Like 2

Flew to Toronto yesterday.  I intended to pick my daughter up in Boston today to come stay with me for the summer in Erie, but she wasn't feeling well and wanted me to get her tomorrow.  A free day with no plans and nothing to do - where to go?   I ended up deciding on Lake Placid, New York (KLKP).  I called the Lake Placid Lodge and asked the manager if they wanted to make a last minute deal and if they could pick me up from the airport.   I got a very nice response, and here I am.  The manager came out to the airport and helped me push the plane into the tie down spot.    KLKP has a 4196*60 ft runway.  However 32 has a 1200ft displaced threshold.   My shortest runway to date in my Mooney has been 3500.  I know that most of you guys can get it in there no problem, but the pucker factor was high with gusting crosswords and my shortest runway to date.  It ended up not being an issue at all.  There was a little turbulance descended in the mountains, but nothing bad.   I enjoy doing these sort of things.   I have gotten comfortable with 8000ft runways everywhere I go.  This sort of thing is good for me.  

Now I get to sit and relax with a bottle of wine.  And I'll go get my daughter tomorrow and bring her back for a great summer in Erie.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.63e1f726be939cffc0a0dedb25e0b763.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, BradB said:

Flew to Toronto yesterday.  I intended to pick my daughter up in Boston today to come stay with me for the summer in Erie, but she wasn't feeling well and wanted me to get her tomorrow.  A free day with no plans and nothing to do - where to go?   I ended up deciding on Lake Placid, New York (KLKP).  I called the Lake Placid Lodge and asked the manager if they wanted to make a last minute deal and if they could pick me up from the airport.   I got a very nice response, and here I am.  The manager came out to the airport and helped me push the plane into the tie down spot.    KLKP has a 4196*60 ft runway.  However 32 has a 1200ft displaced threshold.   My shortest runway to date in my Mooney has been 3500.  I know that most of you guys can get it in there no problem, but the pucker factor was high with gusting crosswords and my shortest runway to date.  It ended up not being an issue at all.  There was a little turbulance descended in the mountains, but nothing bad.   I enjoy doing these sort of things.   I have gotten comfortable with 8000ft runways everywhere I go.  This sort of thing is good for me.  

Now I get to sit and relax with a bottle of wine.  And I'll go get my daughter tomorrow and bring her back for a great summer in Erie.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.63e1f726be939cffc0a0dedb25e0b763.jpg

Fantastic 

• Like 1

Flew down to Sarasota for a dental meeting. After all the FBO bashing, it's nice to land at a class C airport with no fuel minimums and no facility fees. Simply $15/night for parking.  Anyway, I bought a new sinus lift kit, so come on down to Georgia and let me try it out. 

IMG_3128.JPG

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'll pass. Not sure I want someone working on my sinus who can't post a picture correctly. emoji23.png
f7a472601f052b4e9479935ec1bacb74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you're leaned back in the chair, everything is upside down anyway. 

• Like 4

Alan's @amillet sporting a new avatar photo today!

It took me a few seconds to realize why the Mooney was so far from the centerline...

Avoiding the tremendous wake-turbulence thrown from the lead brand B ship...:)

Go Formators!

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Well this could be a good flight to do in 2017. Landing AL on our new aircraft carrier?  Possible perhaps? Could be great fun :)  IMG_0842.thumb.PNG.60646ce507f5eda42d83357141d07154.PNG

I'm thinking if the deck is clear, let's say there is a 25 knot wind and the ship is moving into the wind at 25 knots, that gives a combined 50 knots. You might not even need to use your brakes to stop...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

If there is a 25knot wind blowing I am not going anywhere near it. That's almost a force 5 and that means biggish waves.  I'll stick to 5-10 knots and it going at 25 knots which will give me 30 knots over the deck, that means I only need 40 knots groundspeed.  NO problem. :)  

Ah, see I'm thinking like a landlubber and not taking into account the effect of the wind on the water...

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I'm thinking if the deck is clear, let's say there is a 25 knot wind and the ship is moving into the wind at 25 knots, that gives a combined 50 knots. You might not even need to use your brakes to stop...

If the RN is anything like USN, the flight deck won't be anywhere near that clear ever again. 

What I've not figured out is why British carriers all have ski jump ramps for the planes to take off on. Even in WWII, when our carrier planes would shoot off the bow and drop towards the water before gaining flying speed, we have never resorted to ramps. Although I do note that the ramp on this ship is not as propronounced as its predecessors' are.

Yes, I'm suffering from a protracted loss of altitude. Stupid magneto repairs!! Actually, "stoopid magneto NON-repairs!!!"  :angry:   So please ignore me if I'm overly pedantic . . . .

Edited by Hank

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Alan's @amillet sporting a new avatar photo today!

It took me a few seconds to realize why the Mooney was so far from the centerline...

Avoiding the tremendous wake-turbulence thrown from the lead brand B ship...:)

Go Formators!

Best regards,

-a-

My lead was actually a M20C, N6578U flown by Anfrew Soleimany, the other Mooney, who is a First Officer for Sky West.  I was in the center of my half of the runway for the element landing:)

• Like 2

Did quit a bit of flying this weekend. Went to Chehalis Washington for an impromptu FATPNW fly in. Got to meet so pretty cool people and enjoyed the food at the golf course. Flew on down to Troutdale and spent the night with family then flew on home. Got to see N5355Q that I got my license in back in 2005. The 451 nautical miles was a breeze in Freedom.
5e49a1bfc1b9ff8966f3c7c543804d44.jpgf858fc2b36a128a7d0d834289685434f.jpg6b053b1c1cc2ac1f2c940eac22ad0289.jpg88a7abfcce8f031b34f38ef90714cbfd.jpg18eb2dffa16deb2ccd24b884e1663c66.jpg2c5f7df65e738d715eecf2dc55bbf382.jpgf9b3eb2d6104736523d55189e0a217fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

6 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Flew on down to Troutdale and spent the night with family then flew on home.

I believe that is where we did the pre-purchase inspection on my Rocket back in 2000.  Flew down there from Boeing Field in Seattle.

Tom

• Like 2

I took some early lessons at TDD. Lets see here:
7/12/1997 N704SV
8/8/97 N704PX
9/9/97 N8997U
12/31/97 N7322A

Flew a t6 texan out of chehalis once. Love the walmart in the middle of the old runway.,

Were you going to college at Mt. Hood? How do you like the T6? I got my dad a ride in one last year at Erickson Aircraft Museum.

• Like 1

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

Were you going to college at Mt. Hood? How do you like the T6? I got my dad a ride in one last year at Erickson Aircraft Museum.

Nope. Did the rest of my training out of MMV. Well, private anyway.

It was fun, I'd go again. I saw a place I was visiting last week had a t6 you could fly in but didn't have time.

• Like 2