Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Flew down to see my mother/brother and middle sister in Arkansas Saturday morning.  Beautiful flight.  Had a little indirect push that had me seeing 145-160 knots at 6500.  5-10LOP burning 9.8GPH flight was 2.3 and smooth as glass.  Photo (sideways as posted-what's up with that?) had a low fog layer over a Missouri River.  Could see it for miles.  I don't know how you all get such beautiful photos from your plane, but this is lame in comparison.  (Sorry).

We played 27 and 45 holes Saturday and Sunday.  Had a blast with my siblings enjoying some birdies, beers and bogeys :)

Good to see my 86 year old mom on Mother's Day.  Return flight was .1 longer with 2.4 vs. 2.3.  One of those rare trips where winds were benign or helping a tad vs. slowing you down.  My fuel up was just over .1 AMU's which I feel is a bargain.

I love GA and I love my Mooney...

• Like 5

Yesterday flew from Cincinnati Lunken into Tuscaloosa in the morning, spent a few hours with family there, and then flew back. Around 2 hours and 45 minutes beats the heck out of eight or nine hours in the car!

Got a direct through Cincinnati's Class B on course and up to 8,500 for a direct to destination. On the way back, got a similar clearance thru the B.

Felt like tail winds both ways - that kind of day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Flew down to see my mother/brother and middle sister in Arkansas Saturday morning.  Beautiful flight.  Had a little indirect push that had me seeing 145-160 knots at 6500.  5-10LOP burning 9.8GPH flight was 2.3 and smooth as glass.  Photo (sideways as posted-what's up with that?) had a low fog layer over a Missouri River.  Could see it for miles.  I don't know how you all get such beautiful photos from your plane, but this is lame in comparison.  (Sorry).

We played 27 and 45 holes Saturday and Sunday.  Had a blast with my siblings enjoying some birdies, beers and bogeys :)

Good to see my 86 year old mom on Mother's Day.  Return flight was .1 longer with 2.4 vs. 2.3.  One of those rare trips where winds were benign or helping a tad vs. slowing you down.  My fuel up was just over .1 AMU's which I feel is a bargain.

I love GA and I love my Mooney...

Hey Scott, I know that if I do a quick edit of a photo even if I dont change anything and save it will post right side up if not then it goes in sideways.  As for picture quality basic rule of thumb is to put the sun behind you and really important if your shooting through plastic (glass) of course this is sometimes hard to do if your on the wrong side of your subject matter relative to the sun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bonal said:

Hey Scott, I know that if I do a quick edit of a photo even if I dont change anything and save it will post right side up if not then it goes in sideways.  As for picture quality basic rule of thumb is to put the sun behind you and really important if your shooting through plastic (glass) of course this is sometimes hard to do if your on the wrong side of your subject matter relative to the sun.

I noticed that if you enlarged the photo it switched to correct side up.  I was solo gong south so sun was a "factor" for sure.  Thanks for the help.  My co-pilot is the photo wizard in the cockpit for sure.

• Like 1

Sorry no photos. Tuesday headed out of KBAZ to 5T6 to KBLH to KLPC. 

KBAZ to 5T6 had a lovely 60 kts wind, with 20+ on the nose at 10,000 but totally smooth, dropped down to 8,000 and got the 20kts back and bumps the rest of the way... Until I picked up the KELP ATIS and found the winds were 40 degrees off the 5T6 runway. Chose KELP and straight down runway 22 instead. Paid the Atlantic tax and got back on the way.

KELP to KBLH was supposed to be DMN V94 BLH... I originally planned IFR then looked at the weather and stayed VFR under at about 8500 playing dodge the rain visually with some look-ahead with the ADS-B weather. Ended up basically KELP TUS GBN KBLH with my friend the 20+ kt headwind and continuous light-moderate turbulence. This is when I really wish I had been able to bring my Oxygen and taken a slower flight over the top instead, most tops reports put them at about 12,000 or so. I spent this leg regretting not having Oxygen and a Turbo... oh well.

KBLH had the fastest turn possible I think, pull up, guy fuels plane, I walk in, file the IFR for the last leg, he walks in, I pay and head back out. 

KBLH-KLPC Picked up IFR in the air off KBLH, got a couple silly reroutes and changed altitude about 5 times(filed 8,000, final altitude before the approach ended up also being 8,000) Ended up on the RNAV 25 at KLPC due to BKN at 1700 which just barely covered the east side of the field, technically needed the approach but I had the field in sight the whole way down. Was greeted by still more wind but decent fuel prices. 

9.8 hours... Was supposed to be closer to 8... maybe 8.5. Not sure on the fuel yet, still trying to find where I left the receipts.

Now hanging out and doing my work remotely job from Lompoc until it's time to head out to Harris Ranch on Saturday then on to KSQL and finally home KCVO on Monday, weather permitting.

• Like 2

Flew to Greenwood, Indiana to look at a Mooney in pre purchase stage that a friend is closing on in a few days. On the way back we stopped in Owensboro, KY for some real good BBQ. Go to KOWB and try out Moonlite BBQ Inn http://www.moonlite.com/. The BBQ was great and their specialty is mutton. 

• Like 4

Rutland, VT to Ocean City, MD on Saturday morning for a impromptu overnight at my brother's condo.  We did 2.5hrs down with some rain showers in the NYC area breaking out to clearing skies on the NJ coast. Lovely trip down the coastline to Cape May and over the bay down to Ocean City.  Blowing like hell at KOXB where my landing was awful but still better than the guy we saw parachuting while we were tying down.  His was a double hop splat, where mine was just a hop and land.  Back up to Rutland this morning including a semi interesting JFK overflight watching the big boys land underneath us.  Another 2.5 in clear cool air.  This was the first real cross country in the airplane for me since I bought it.  My wife just kept saying that she couldn't believe we did it in 2.5hrs when it takes 8 to do the drive.  Her only other small airplane experience was in my Sundowner which was not really known for being a speed demon.  Yes dear it's a Mooney and it goes pretty fast.  I think she's hooked.

• Like 6

Milk run to Waley World. Never thought when I was learning to fly that my primary mission would be shopping but hey it really makes sense considering where we live. No matter it's still flying and beats the crap out of driving. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bonal said:

No matter it's still flying and beats the crap out of driving. 

Remember that, boney! This was my flight today:

20170521_154432.thumb.jpg.c83e1081cbe8218d2467955c719f57ba.jpg

ATL-->BDL. Home again on Friday evening, same no-empty-seat cattle car . . . Just like last week . . . 

Fortunately for my sanity, this is a temporary 3-month abberation, and not my normal work schedule. 

• Like 2

Thanks, pal, but that doesn't make the experience any better . . . . . . At least this time they weren't making people gate check their carryon bags, to be "retrieved in baggage claim at your final destination."

I was two rows from the very back, sitting even with the engine intakes. And boy, we're those suckers loud! Really could have used my Halos, even with nothing to plug them into. The noise actually kept me awake most of the flight this time. 

I miss my Mooney . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

As mine is still in the shop, I'm living vicariously through others who get to fly.  Brian Lloyd launched today on his circumnavigation of the globe in his 231. This is his first leg from San Marcos, TX (KHYI) to Long Island, NY (KFRG). This was done non-stop in 7:46, most of it at FL230. Next he'll go NYC to Paris recreating Lindbergh's flight and hoping to set a speed record for single engine piston, on this route. And then on around the globe.

You can follow along on Flight Aware, he is N916BL.

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.50.19 PM.png

• Like 8

Next he'll go NYC to Paris recreating Lindbergh's flight and hoping to set a speed record for single engine piston, on this route.
You can follow along on Flight Aware, he is N916BL.

Can't wait for him to beat this record (previously set by a Bonanza). Fly safe, fly fast Pinky!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hope the winds are in you favour Bryan! Did an 1100nm leg last week (crossing a low pressure system, so headwinds all the way)  : 7.5 hours airborne - really enjoyed getting out at the end

HEGN-LGKR.png.4b9a66f43ce13b85b4fe58c8e5d5b8bc.png

Edited by Awful_Charlie
Formatting
  • Like 3

Took off Friday and headed to Inyokern California KIYK for a cousins wedding. It was the first long cross country for my better half. She didn't like the bumps going over the mountains. But she enjoyed looking for traffic when atc would call it out begging on flight following. We lucked out the weather in Oregon held out so we could fly and didn't have to drive the 13 hours. We made our first stop due to dark at Oakdale O27. Other than fuel being 3.99 the night was a total mess. They were having a chocolate festival and there was not a hotel room available. So a $65 taxi ride to Modesto to the Double Tree. Then getting to Ridgecrest and it being 95 degrees was a big change from Oregon the day before... the flight back Sunday went great. We stopped at KSAC and had a great lunch with Thinwing, then a quick flight back home. The plane ran great, and this quick long cross country was the reason I bought a Mooney. I decided on the way home to use the auto pilot for the first time to for any amount of time. It was nice but I quickly got board. So I started doing busy work. It was a pretty great weekend filled with lots of miles yet I was nice and comfy in our bed early Sunday. 7861f0b5bbb48a6c639b4225d53ccf64.jpga778722d3971eceb42cdac2ba84fce39.jpgdb03a91e3b1a1d1027c9c64729991119.jpgd5be789bc5fe8cc9b1e9bcab47050ec5.jpg6140c2ab479041c8e2c604d6efe625c0.jpg8806a7778876af56dd8986f166ee71d4.jpg7ff9990110a4e82d27ae85a981fa9590.jpgd0e4ea943348029065ca9beb7fbbeaae.jpg6140c2ab479041c8e2c604d6efe625c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10