Today's flight for 2017

bonal

12 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Just looked up the airlines flying out of KRDU and there's now way I confused a Southwest planes company colors for Delta or United.  I couldn't tell you the difference between a Boeing or an Airbus.  Just going by what the controller said.  Both planes called out to me were Southwest Airlines planes.

I wonder if the controller was just messing with the Southwest guys. Southwest is well known for their 737's, as they were the first airline to build a business model around only flying one type of equipment. The costs of maintenance, parts, pilots, etc. are much cheaper if there's only one airframe. 

I've been in the pattern and on the approach into both Houston Hobby and Dallas Love, either behind or just in front of Southwest 737's. They are thick at both of those airports.

• Like 1

Today's flight was a wash.  Front moving through Texas today.  Was supposed to go help load differently able kids for airplane rides at Conroe.

Went to airport.  Sat in Car and did weather stuff.  Decided not to launch yet.   A couple estate sales and walmart for a mouse.

Back to airport.  Got Al ready.  Made about 10 minutes of a 20 minute flight and the ceilings lowered.   Went down a little, then they lowered again.  Turned around and went home.

Hope the kids got their rides and a good time was had 

• Like 1

Flew from NW WA to SE WA (Walla Walla) to watch 13 year old granddaughter's softball tournament.  Stopped in Pasco to pick up daughter-in-law and two grandkids for last 20 minute flight.

Snake River and Tri-Cities looking west on the way home.

There must be something wrong with my phone camera (and everybody else's) as I'm sure I look 20 years younger in the mirror 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Flew from NW WA to SE WA (Walla Walla) to watch 13 year old granddaughter's softball tournament.  Stopped in Pasco to pick up daughter-in-law and two grandkids for last 20 minute flight.
There must be something wrong with my phone camera (and everybody else's) as I'm sure I look 20 years younger in the mirror 
image.thumb.jpeg.9695ece2e1f1de2592f6cddd03f1947c.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.3fa855c8e61f6fd810d0bd115d09fb5b.jpeg

I know exactly what you mean about the camera distorting our pictures. I think you had a setting wrong on your camera. Fixed it for you.

bb58af95c407a7865c03e3d3184350ae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 9

image.thumb.jpeg.9695ece2e1f1de2592f6cddd03f1947c.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.3fa855c8e61f6fd810d0bd115d09fb5b.jpeg

Kids from my town played in that tournament as well. Hope your granddaughter played well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly today's flight didn't include me. But the Mooney Caravan's Texas Wing did some formation work over Canyon Lake today. Rumor has it that AF safety-pilot "Pops" wrestled the controls away from Sandman. FlightAware tells the tale. 4069417d4a513cbd070733640e1c98ed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cnoe said:

Sadly today's flight didn't include me.emoji53.png But the Mooney Caravan's Texas Wing did some formation work over Canyon Lake today. Rumor has it that AF safety-pilot "Pops" wrestled the controls away from Sandman. FlightAware tells the tale. 4069417d4a513cbd070733640e1c98ed.jpg

Lead was "Sandman" with myself "Rocket" as his safety pilot. Wingman was "Rhino" with "Pops" as safety. What a great way to spend 1.5 hours of AvGas on a beautiful spring day in Texas.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Lead was "Sandman" with myself "Rocket" as his safety pilot. Wingman was "Rhino" with "Pops" as safety. What a great way to spend 1.5 hours of AvGas on a beautiful spring day in Texas.

Anytime you use a handle like Rocketman you're OK with me!!!!

Tom

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

I know exactly what you mean about the camera distorting our pictures. I think you had a setting wrong on your camera. Fixed it for you.

bb58af95c407a7865c03e3d3184350ae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've never done a selfie before but, Chris, you've given me hope now!!!

Tom

• Like 2

When was the last time you shared the radio frequency with a B-17 and a B-29, or shared airspace with a B-29, or parked on the ramp with a B-17, B-24, B-25, and P-51? For me it was yesterday, and it was awesome! A morning breakfast run to Camarillo (KCMA) turned out to be much more. Many more pictures and the "rest of the story" on my site.

Camarillo - War Birds - LA Tour

IMG_8305.thumb.JPG.a24f679a3d040eb871fd4aeac78b529e.JPG58fd726cf0e5a_B24Departing.thumb.jpg.73ab1db09142368fdb4fd1da2f8eaec0.jpgIMG_8344.thumb.JPG.6a244d421b5b535274c4482bbf139ac1.JPG

• Like 6

When was the last time you shared the radio frequency with a B-17 and a B-29, or shared airspace with a B-29, or parked on the ramp with a B-17, B-24, B-25, and P-51? For me it was yesterday, and it was awesome!

Shut up! You did not!!

Just now, cnoe said:

Shut up! You did not!!

Yep! :) And really all by accident... It was pretty cool climbing out of Camarillo after our little adventure and watching the B-29 slip under us on his base leg heading back to the airport...

• Like 5

Well, we made it, albeit two days late due to permit problems. Amazing here, but very hampered by the firewall :-( Maybe Google with Zhengzhou or Shangjie will find something (that's blocked here too so no idea what's there, and no email either!)

A couple of days more here, then time to start on the way home

tmp_22641-20170429_012905454942225.thumb.jpg.f143a2c216ae7c52ac8c780d3256bb7d.jpg

Edited by Awful_Charlie
  • Like 3

My 0800 departure was delayed a few hours due to ...snow. This was completely unexpected. I learned how to use the side window to scrape off the ice!

38470ed3a99e5cfc3ea8a39f3f780d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Still haven't been able to fly to work yet. Weather hasn't cooperated. I did take the plane to Grand Ledge earlier in the week to visit an old Army buddy. Average ground speed, according to ForeFlight, was 128kts. I played with different power settings and practiced leaning. Learning a lot about my plane every flight. :) I'll have to remember to take a few pics next time. I also took my wife up this past week. She loved it!

The lake I circled around is where I live.

IMG_2380.PNG

IMG_2381.PNG

• Like 4

1o2 to STS with a couple nice approaches and landings. Beautiful sky but a little bumpy was another short hop but at least I'm getting back in the air more frequently perhaps this winter is going to finally let go. Now everyone is worried about the huge snow melt that has begun and are letting water out of the lakes as fast as possible. Crazy. Even though they are short flights I'm still getting all phases of flight just not much time in between. 

• Like 3