Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Still heading east - vac pump seems to have recovered (was just the engine pump, horizon recovered with the standby), just lots of apologies to Bahrain for the botched landing and go around, and then a substantial mistake on the outbound flight plan..

Quick bite to eat now and then some zeds for an 0500Z departure in the morning for a very long leg

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

So I had a fun - and long anticipated flight today.

I dropped N10933 off at the paint shop!

Next time you see her - she's going to have an ALL NEW look and even a new tail number....

I'll swing by and grab that prop, you won't need it for several weeks anyway :D

• Like 2

You better hurry up PeeVee.  You're in Colorado, I'm in Michigan, and Erik is in NY.  Guess who has the shorter flight?  Maybe I'll take the Lancair over there.  That'll keep the body shop guys distracted on the ramp while I pull it off.

Tom

46 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

You better hurry up PeeVee.  You're in Colorado, I'm in Michigan, and Erik is in NY.  Guess who has the shorter flight?  Maybe I'll take the Lancair over there.  That'll keep the body shop guys distracted on the ramp while I pull it off.

Tom

I have an ace in my corner boys....

Its at 6b0 - and that runway is closing for resurfacing for the entirety of the paint job - in fact I had to drop it off NOW to beat the runway closure.  So you better plan on driving from Michigan/Colorado.... :-O

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

And I hired one of those mercenary companies to provide private armed guards with surface to air missile defense system to protect the valuable propeller.  So bring it on my fine rocket friends.

• Like 1

Just now, aviatoreb said:

And I hired one of those mercenary companies to provide private armed guards with surface to air missile defense system to protect the valuable propeller.  So bring it on my fine rocket friends.

Sorry.   Got a really sore backside tonight so you're safe from me.  Flew the Lancair on its first donated medical flight.  Took a local CFI and well respected pilot to Raleigh NC for follow up on a lung transplant related rejection issue.  He was absolutely giddy to fly in a home built airplane at 330 knots in 2 1/2 hours to a destination 900 miles away.   With " cheap temporary " seats, I needed a massage when I got back but the wife just laughed historically at me with that suggestion.  

Hope you paint job goes well!!

Tom

• Like 3

Well I finally got to go flying for the first time since I got my plane home. Took the gf up for the first time in the Mooney. Had to wait out a rain storm. But things cleared out and we had a nice hour flight. Just stayed in the valley but it felt great to be back in the air. After the flight I started my first oil change. Fun times:)ef2052c714b19d27bb202a35c6b7e3d3.jpg

8ae63375b606aab180c9e313ec94512f.jpg2df18ab77d365c7038329643a1aa7b3c.jpg18f626b44781e070436aaf4e7fb3e90c.jpgd6d320543197d5659101eba37322a091.jpg1ce94bd6cc5933f275ab9ac963657f08.jpg70e7e94ca69289cf542071f076a6c9ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Just a quick hop over the hill to STS trip home had to fly under some broken to solid overcast crossing the ridge. Snoopy was giving me 140IAS with three on board and full fuel at 4500 ft made a couple nice landings with some pretty gusty crosswind. 

So blessed to be able to fly can't wait to go again hopefully on a longer flight soon.

• Like 4

Just a quick hop over the hill to STS trip home had to fly under some broken to solid overcast crossing the ridge. Snoopy was giving me 140IAS with three on board and full fuel at 4500 ft made a couple nice landings with some pretty gusty crosswind. 
So blessed to be able to fly can't wait to go again hopefully on a longer flight soon.

Sounds like good times. If you want a longer flight you could come north:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I mentioned in another post I had conducted my first donated medical flight in the Lancair for the mercy flight organization I am part of (actually President right now).  Anyway, it was from KIMT (Iron Mountain, MI, in the U.P.) to Raleigh, NC (KRDU).  I ended up with a STAR going in, then vectored around a Southwest Airbus heading west at 7,000' and they held me at 8'000' within 5 miles of the airport.  When I could finally come down, I was getting vectors for a long downwind until I told them I could get down with no problem (a clear advantage with turbines).  I was given 5L, which is the big runway.  Not sure why 5R wasn't offered, as it ends right next to the GA FBO's.  

Anyway, after fueling and dropping the passengers off (and some distractions from ramp guys wanting to know about the plane) I got my clearance (SID of course, one not authorized for turbines????), started up and got taxi instructions.  I was cleared to runway 5R (great news as I saw no activity on that runway, less stress).  I taxied to the end, did a few quick items and changed to tower for my TO clearance.  Just as I changed to tower, for some reason I looked back down the taxiway.  There sits a Southwest Airbus less than 100 yards behind me.  Holy crap they look big, that close, when your sitting in a 4 place GA plane!  Needless to say I didn't delay my take-off.  So much for getting the "quiet runway".

Tom

• Like 6

Great story, Tom.

You should hear my brother talk about his first flight with me at almost 100 hours. I picked him up at the local Class C and taxied out between two Delta jets for the 15 minute flight home. It didn't phase me much, but I'd been there several times and took my PPL (and later Instrument) checkride there. He goes on about being between these huge jets, little brother jabbering on the radio in Greek, like we were gonna get run over or something. One of them was just an RJ . . .

But it's a good memory for both of us, and a ride he's not likely to forget. Took him back a few days later to ride the Delta jet back to Atlanta.

• Like 4

Saturday we took a short flight to see the CA Poppy Preserve in the Antelope Valley from the air. A beautiful flight and when we landed I was at 100 hours total time. More pictures on my site.

http://intothesky.us/2017/04/15/ca-poppy-preserve-100-total-hours-of-flight/

Chino Hills State Park still covered in yellow mustard plants.

IMG_8191.thumb.JPG.7b7bb58bde18756af3ece5dded865a6c.JPG

San Gabriel Reservoir

IMG_8212.thumb.JPG.b0022dd1ec717d8413eada9674afc620.JPG

Poppy Preserve - Still a few patches of orange/gold

IMG_8243.thumb.JPG.bb7d017f321c9cb2243aa05889a447cd.JPG

Mt Wilson Observatory

IMG_8273.thumb.JPG.9b9b87b8d9dfb8a3b44b4fdd60721277.JPG

• Like 8

Double post, but just catching up on flights...

Yesterday evening I took my youngest son out flying around the practice area and let him take the controls. The first time we've done that since I got him the cushion to be able to see over the panel. He loved it.

http://intothesky.us/2017/04/18/a-budding-pilot/

20170418_193040.thumb.jpg.670439011168cdb3477052358cdaf066.jpgScreenshot_20170418-210100.thumb.png.2303edd09b831932fca8332a51699201.png

• Like 4

Two flights in as many days this time over the hill to VCB Nut Tree to pick up some needed puppy supplies. Nice to see lakes full to the tree lines again. Severe clear with some big puffy clouds at our altitude. As we approached Nut tree saw some very low traffic in front and below in our path flying a race track pattern with another ahead just below. Made a couple of hailing calls on the CTAF with no reply turned out to be Cal fire Grummans and a Bronco doing some practice runs into a narrow canyon below. I don't know what freq they use but since we were just inside of ten miles to nut tree you would think they would be on their frequency. It was fun watching them make their runs under us.  

• Like 2

Flew to Spruce Creek this morning and knew we had some weather to contend with over Kentucky and Tennessee.   We were in the clear through the weather area but it was pretty cool that we didn't have to deviate at all.  I told the wife it was the parting of the seas for us.

The wife saw a party balloon go by us pretty fast and really close at FL270. Reported it ATLANTA Center and he asks me how fast the balloon was going?  Kind of baffled I said WE went past it at 300 knots but I think the balloon is moving at the same speed as the winds.  

Tom

IMG_0033.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Flew to Spruce Creek this morning and knew we had some weather to contend with over Kentucky and Tennessee.   We were in the clear through the weather area but it was pretty cool that we didn't have to deviate at all.  I told the wife it was the parting of the seas for us.

The wife saw a party balloon go by us pretty fast and really close at FL270. Reported it ATLANTA Center and he asks me how fast the balloon was going?  Kind of baffled I said WE went past it at 300 knots but I think the balloon is moving at the same speed as the winds.  

Tom

IMG_0033.JPG

That is really funny - "how fast was the balloon going".

WOW - that's pretty high for a party balloon.  Was it a rubber balloon or a mylar balloon.  Would that hurt if it went through a jet engine?

So rocketman, now that you have gotten used to 300kts.  And almost bored traveling at 300kts.....have you been planning your next experimental airplane.  Something that can go 600kts?  How about a nice BD10?  

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That is really funny - "how fast was the balloon going".

WOW - that's pretty high for a party balloon.  Was it a rubber balloon or a mylar balloon.  Would that hurt if it went through a jet engine?

So rocketman, now that you have gotten used to 300kts.  And almost bored traveling at 300kts.....have you been planning your next experimental airplane.  Something that can go 600kts?  How about a nice BD10?  

Pretty sure it was one of those mylar ones. She said it was orange and blue.  

Can't say I'm totally up to speed yet with the transition.  It's getting easier but still not as intuitive and comfortable as my Mooney.  But do I enjoy the speed?  Absolutely.  Just need to work hard to ensure I don't add to the horrible accident statistics this plane has compiled.  

Tom

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Yooper Rocketman BTW just to be sure... Southwest doesn't own nor fly any Airbus jets. They only fly Boeing 737's.

Who flys out of KRDU?   The controllers called two different planes Airbusses and they LOOKED like Southwest planes?

Just looked up the airlines flying out of KRDU and there's now way I confused a Southwest planes company colors for Delta or United.  I couldn't tell you the difference between a Boeing or an Airbus.  Just going by what the controller said.  Both planes called out to me were Southwest Airlines planes.

Tom