Today's flight for 2017

bonal

Charles I'm Super happy you got it and finally have it home. agreed on the Mooney smile but not so sure about the young ladys smile. Looks a bit like,   I'm not quite sure about all this.
Would love to see your new J in person your welcome to visit any time.

For sure..... I would love to get to Catalina this year and we will definitely stop by and say hi. I would have stopped this trip but I was trying to get home but would have ran out of daylight at the time I would have been landing at home. I was tired so I stopped in Redding and called it a night there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Woo! Went for a great, smooth flight today! FYE to M11 and back. Went down to look at a '67F for sale. No joy on the F but the ride was fantastic! Smooth ride visibility unlimited!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bonal said:

Charles I'm Super happy you got it and finally have it home. agreed on the Mooney smile but not so sure about the young ladys smile. Looks a bit like,   I'm not quite sure about all this.

Would love to see your new J in person your welcome to visit any time.

My smile is always bigger than my wife's when we fly... But that's okay, if she loved it as much as I do she might try to kick me out of the left seat!  :D

• Like 3

On 4/2/2017 at 6:34 PM, par said:

Flew to Bay Bridge (W29) today and what an awesome day it was for the trip. If you guys are on the east coast, this trip is a must. The food was amazing as well at Hemingway's seafood restaurant. Park on the ramp in the north east part of the airport and it's a short walk for food. Below is a picture of the view from our table as we had lunch.

IMG_2703.JPG

Edited by amillet
I'm not sure what I pushed but did not intend to re-post that. Sorry

Today I flew from NW Washington to Santa Maria, CA for the MAPA PPP that starts Friday AM.  I left a day early to beat a cold front that I suspected would include icing that would scutttle the flight on Thursday.  Ceiling was 800.  I was IMC for 1.5 hours. Then below an under cast for another couple of hours. Sunny & 73 at KSMX when I arrived.  Stopped for fuel ai KWLW in Northern California.  Had lunch at Nancy's Airport Cafe & filled up with $4.08 avgas. 35 knot headwinds on that 1st 4.4 hour leg but mostly smooth & no ice.

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

• Like 8

Two missions in one today.  End of spring break I was returning my son Keith to Cornell, at KITH.  And I saw a pilots and paws needing transport from NJ to right near my home airport KPTD.  So I volunteered a leg KITH to KPTD.  Dropped off my son and picked up Milka, the Sochi dog from Russia who will now be a Canadian dog.

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 6

Returned from Santa Maria PPP today.  Departed 6:30 AM to beat a cold front moving in from the Pacific Ocean. 3.4 hour leg to Crescent City, CA for fuel, then 2.4 hour leg to home.image.thumb.jpeg.86a89622efd62d15a86c991a43453eff.jpegî

Photos:. Departing KSMX, Monterrey, CA, Departing KCEC, Oregon sand dunes, The Sequim, WA blue hole, approaching home, Tail wind on GTN 750 (Help me rotate it Maurader.  I tried 4 times on my iPad)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Returned from Santa Maria PPP today.  Departed 6:30 AM to beat a cold front moving in from the Pacific Ocean. 3.4 hour leg to Crescent City, CA for fuel, then 2.4 hour leg to home.image.thumb.jpeg.86a89622efd62d15a86c991a43453eff.jpegî
Photos:. Departing KSMX, Monterrey, CA, Departing KCEC, Oregon sand dunes, The Sequim, WA blue hole, approaching home, Tail wind on GTN 750 (Help me rotate it Maurader.  I tried 4 times on my iPad)
image.thumb.jpeg.60a1913245b6b619044cf5cba623abfa.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.cce09a5ebd78fb710fdfb67af7a15499.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.3dcdd3b81618b5f241c00bd6eebf9e84.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.9907343fb2bc85c7a9096e90f60ae6fc.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.947f279f5ee59338554dbd90402df246.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.34c99d7bc0b07ef35a100cc12fd160ed.jpeg

I assumed that was you firing up your Mooney at 6am; since you had the longest to go. Sorry I never got to chat while we were there. Hopefully next time. The PPP weekend goes by so fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yesterday we had a break in the weather which allowed us to take Snoopy instead of having to drive.  We flew down to LVK to visit family and celebrate 2 birthdays.  The clouds were a bit concerning as we dodged a few and ended on top above scattered to broken cover. Always had enough of a view to get down but with a front off shore felt a little uneasy about the flight home.  Not to worry had a good plan B if needed using moms car to drive home. as I was checking in with some reporting stations during our visit all were clear except Concord which was reporting zero vis with a 4k celing strange since just north and south were 10 and clear. My wife looked up some live weather cams and was clear sky in the area.  Not sure why the AWOS was reporting so incorrectly at the time. The flights were smooth and Snoopy performed well as always and as always thankful for a safe trip and having such a great way to travel.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2017 at 7:24 PM, aviatoreb said:

Two missions in one today.  End of spring break I was returning my son Keith to Cornell, at KITH.  And I saw a pilots and paws needing transport from NJ to right near my home airport KPTD.  So I volunteered a leg KITH to KPTD.  Dropped off my son and picked up Milka, the Sochi dog from Russia who will now be a Canadian dog.

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Hey, a face to that name.  I always imagined you looked like your Avatar until now!

I forgot to mention I had dinner with the guy that sold and arranged your prop installation while in Spruce Creek earlier this winter (was it Larry?).  

Tom

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Hey, a face to that name.  I always imagined you looked like your Avatar until now!

I forgot to mention I had dinner with the guy that sold and arranged your prop installation while in Spruce Creek earlier this winter (was it Larry?).  

Tom

:-)  That's what I look like - more or less - a little bigger forehead than I used to have... :-O

Yeah - that avatar is my buddy, co-pilot bear.  He goes everywhere with me!

YES!  Larry.  It was a really fun process working with him and setting the whole thing up.

Cheers,
Erik

• Like 2

SO far, so good - still on schedule. Might have to replace the VAC pump as it might just have died tonight on arrival - if it has will be on the standby pump for a few days until we get the chance to replace it, but have the Aspen and castleberry too, so only loss is the autopilot if both the main and standby die

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n2125k/#d129930

Next couple of days are going to be long ones - probably no update or photos for a few days

AC,

did you say you have lost a pair of pumps in a short period of time?

Reminder: one pump leaving parts and Carbon bits in the system can be bad for things down stream. Often there is a filter in the line to provide some level of security for the other instruments.

Nice to have the independent electrical devices... :)

Just something to consider from a PP, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Last weekend my son and I flew to Phoenix for a quick trip to visit family. Pictures and the story on my blog.

Mooney Time Machine to Phoenix

A couple highlights. Checking in with SoCal Approach as we entered the sector where Palm Springs is we heard:

SoCal: “November 878, traffic 12 o’clock same direction, 5 miles, a Beech, also at 7,500, you’re about 20 knots faster.”

Then after arriving back at Corona and landing at night in gusty winds my son said "Not your best work dad." :P

02.thumb.JPG.218a412e4b2056f0a3d9dc6498ac7a11.JPG

My co-pilot is somewhere under that sweatshirt...

05.thumb.jpg.423d97bba340921b654d6982ab08cd72.jpg

Sunset framed by the Banning Pass

09.thumb.jpg.a51405e0e1ba2b08ee9c9813ad150ce4.jpg

• Like 10

Yesterday we were able to take a fun trip from Ft Myers (KFMY) to Orlando (KORL) to visit some great friends.   I had my Fiancé playing first officer and my daughter in the back.  Flying IFR around this airspace keeps you on your toes.  It seemed much busier than what I usually get in my Boston trips.   I was flying with my new ADSB upgrade on my G1000.  It was amazing to see all the traffic depicted around me in the Orlando area.   It was almost too much, as it covered up the airports and navigation info unless it was magnified significantly.  Yes, I know I can turn off the traffic display, but my crew likes trying to spot the traffic.  IMG_2328.thumb.JPG.5c64ea5c849e28195a510d5f533055e7.JPG

• Like 9

What a great Easter.  Kel and I got out to airport at about 10:00AM and loaded up for a short .7 flight to our home town in SW Wisconsin.  I had just changed the oil and added Camguard.  Is it me or does that first flight on new oil always feel a little smoother?  New pilot iPad mini-yoke mount, CO monitor and seat pan cushions were awesome!  Uneventful flight with an alert of traffic, while in CID airspace, allowing a Cessna down below to be observed crossing our route.  Once past Kel was twisted around to observe.  I said "Honey, that's a Cessna.  We are in a Mooney.  We don't have to worry about them once they are behind us". :)  Called our son and he was a town away.  He picked us up right as we got to tie down.  Perfect timing.   A great Ham Easter meal followed by girls going for a walk and guys going to the family farm for some plinking.  A nice Zenith (HK MP5 clone with brace and red dot) along with a 100 rounds and two flying coffee cans made for some fun.  Quicker flight home at 4500 (144 knots) at 50 LOP saw .5 on tach.  Winds were at 330 14 knots.  27 had a little crab and a turn out for back taxi on 31 to hanger.  Stored the bike (ST1300) for winter in hanger and got a nice ride home with only shorts and a wind shirt.  I love GA and I love my Mooney.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

What a great Easter.  Kel and I got out to airport at about 10:00AM and loaded up for a short .7 flight to our home town in SW Wisconsin.  I had just changed the oil and added Camguard.  Is it me or does that first flight on new oil always feel a little smoother?  New pilot iPad mini-yoke mount, CO monitor and seat pan cushions were awesome!  Uneventful flight with an alert of traffic, while in CID airspace, allowing a Cessna down below to be observed crossing our route.  Once past Kel was twisted around to observe.  I said "Honey, that's a Cessna.  We are in a Mooney.  We don't have to worry about them once they are behind us". :)  Called our son and he was a town away.  He picked us up right as we got to tie down.  Perfect timing.   A great Ham Easter meal followed by girls going for a walk and guys going to the family farm for some plinking.  A nice Zenith (HK MP5 clone with brace and red dot) along with a 100 rounds and two flying coffee cans made for some fun.  Quicker flight home at 4500 (144 knots) at 50 LOP saw .5 on tach.  Winds were at 330 14 knots.  27 had a little crab and a turn out for back taxi on 31 to hanger.  Stored the bike (ST1300) for winter in hanger and got a nice ride home with only shorts and a wind shirt.  I love GA and I love my Mooney.

Where did you get the seat cushions?

I have the same feeling after I change the oil in my diesel trucks.

:)

3 minutes ago, peevee said:

Not the Mooney but got an hour of dual in a 172 in Hawaii. Didn't download too many pics from the cam yet. It's amazing how quick the weather changes here. These can't be more than about 30nm apart.

Kauai rocks.   I recognize those places.   And, yeah, the microclimates on the various Hawaiian islands are really interesting.   I think Kauai is especially noted for that.

Great pics and must've been an awesome flight.

• Like 1