Today's flight for 2017

bonal

49 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Skylane vs. Mooney

Took Mrs. Yetti over to Fredricksburg for lunch and a stroll around town yesterday.   Was skirting the Austin class C. When I hear a Skylane chatting with Austin Approach.  Seems he had been tailing me since we took off 40 minutes earlier. 30 more minutes to Fredricksburg and he could not catch us. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was only running 24/2400 

Yeah, that's funny.  I walk away from 182s in my C running 23/2300 down low, or faster around 5500 at 22/2400. AND on 9 gph . . .  :P   They don't seem to operate where I prefer for longer trips, 8000-10,000. Why is that?

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

Major mile mile stone for me, all 3 kids at once on a flight in the plane! Thank goodness for pilot isolation on the intercom:) we flew from San Diego (KMYF) to Santa Ynez (KIZA) last weekend for a great weekend.
DC8CC7B5-81B0-4EF4-9891-6D2CE095D28D.thumb.jpg.31931321ce0b3012d7ab57e3b4c3a032.jpg

Are the kids to short for the shoulder belts in the back seat or is that an illusion?
Great to break them in young though. Any of them want to be a pilot yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/16/2017 at 6:46 AM, kmyfm20s said:

Major mile mile stone for me, all 3 kids at once on a flight in the plane! Thank goodness for pilot isolation on the intercom:) we flew from San Diego (KMYF) to Santa Ynez (KIZA) last weekend for a great weekend.

DC8CC7B5-81B0-4EF4-9891-6D2CE095D28D.thumb.jpg.31931321ce0b3012d7ab57e3b4c3a032.jpg

Yikes that looks like the double stink Eye!

Today's flight didn't leave the ground, but it was good. Finished up installing the Amsafe shoulder belts in the plane and got them signed off by local IA. (Now to hope I never need them). Then emptied out my hangar and taxied to @MHemperly's old (my new) hangar. I was in a south facing (read blast furnace when the temps start climbing) hangar with a big crack in the floor, one working light, one electrical outlet that didn't provide enough power to run my air compressor (never fixed after the flood 10 years ago), and crappy asphalt in front just begging to be picked up by the propeller and leave it's mark. Now I am in a very nice west facing hanger, next to the restrooms (great for last minute pit stop before flying),  nice view of the west end of the runway, and smooth asphalt out front. Meeting Mike on Mooneyspace gave me the inside edge to grab his hangar and get off the back row, another perk of Mooneyspace.

• Like 4

Well Friday and Saturday was filled with sooooo many firsts for me. It started in Kerrville Texas and has ended at North Las Vegas. The firsts ranged from first flight into class B, to my longest xcountry, first time on O2, the first time crossing more than one state in a day, to the most EXCITING my first flights in MY new to me airplane:) it was great to see all the ground go by and even better meeting all the people at the FBO's and even spending the night on the couch at the Fort Stockton' FBO. thanks a lot to Dave Hardwick and everyone that has helped me out and to the many many more that will. b6bcf4daa46e867b3a0a5dc7243efbed.jpg76f623a3106c006a114aa4492a00c914.jpg9b15343495c8fb45fb9878ce30ea2835.jpg526d354f8810b1322214c856ff608b1b.jpg7de1812e7ca567f328f845b341adf34c.jpg15e1d95d6e32b3d3a757dc20bf28a0a4.jpg395780817df3f8d55d446922f01ad7cd.jpg9f9dcd31fd0288b5b0ca5462d61db664.jpge62183aa7f5a8da7ebb8d34819b1b9f9.jpg16e7c46f7b01787bc0077fd62e8fbc11.jpg3122fc9267ad45e377d111aead9fe213.jpg

• Like 6

You'll quickly find that long cross country flights are the norm for Mooney owners. I've got more hours of cross country time than anything in my log book. It's just about the perfect single to take you places.

I have one of these on the wall in my home office. http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/charts-and-maps/laminated-vfr-wall-planning-chart.html.  I've stuck a pin in the map at our home airport. Then drew rings to mark how far we can get in 2 hours, a full tank, one fuel stop.  My wife likes to use it for planing weekend trips. It's pretty amazing to know how much of the country you can cover quickly in these little airplanes.

• Like 5

You'll quickly find that long cross country flights are the norm for Mooney owners. I've got more hours of cross country time than anything in my log book. It's just about the perfect single to take you places.
I have one of these on the wall in my home office. http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/charts-and-maps/laminated-vfr-wall-planning-chart.html.  I've stuck a pin in the map at our home airport. Then drew rings to mark how far we can get in 2 hours, a full tank, one fuel stop.  My wife likes to use it for planing weekend trips. It's pretty amazing to know how much of the country you can cover quickly in these little airplanes.

I don't think you could have explained it any better:)

• Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 7:25 PM, kortopates said:

Are the kids to short for the shoulder belts in the back seat or is that an illusion?
Great to break them in young though. Any of them want to be a pilot yet?

I allow them to slip in and out of the shoulder strap while in cruise at altitude but not if they are in the front seat. The 2 in the back have them under their arms in the photo but are still connected. Seat belts and shoulder straps are on the takeoff and landing checklist. The back seats are low for the little ones, booster seats would probably help but we don't have them any more

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

I allow them to slip in and out of the shoulder strap while in cruise at altitude but not if they are in the front seat. The 2 in the back have them under their arms in the photo but are still connected. Seat belts and shoulder straps are on the takeoff and landing checklist. The back seats are low for the little ones, booster seats would probably help but we don't have them any more

I got my son one of these so that he could see over the glareshield when sitting up front and see out the windows better when sitting in back. When he's not with me I just toss it in the baggage area.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUTCZ8Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

I've had some intermittent starting problems. It starts ok on the first flight, but if I fly for a bit, shut down, and then try to restart it doesn't always want to kick over. In another thread I found a link to the troubleshooting Skytech starters (even though I don't have a Skytech). The problem it described, prop turns and then stops when it hits the first compression stroke, is what I was experiencing. It said if it does it when hot that it is probably the starter solenoid.

So, I bought a solenoid and it was put in today. Interesting the new one says it has a life of 30 years (my plane had the original in it that was 52 years old). It was a little windy 230 9G15 for runway 25, but I figured it would be good practice and I hadn't flown in a week and a half and was itching to get up there.

I bounced around the pattern but came in and the first landing was beautiful (where was that one when I have passengers?). I went around again and the second landing was a small bounce before settling down (ugh, more like the normal passenger landing). I considered quitting for the night but decided to make one more go of it. I heard something on AWOS that I hadn't heard before, "distant lightning to the north-west." I took a look around, and could see the clouds way off to the north-west. (Love when visibility is super clear) I checked the weather at all the airports that direction and they looked fine (they also showed LTG DSNT NW) so I made one more trip around the pattern.  The third landing was as nice as the first. Two out of three is't too bad. :) 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

So tell us,

did the new solenoid solve the problem of the old solenoid?

Or still unknown..?

Skytech solenoids, I believe, have had some quirky reviews...

Best regards,

-a-

I will have to wait until I fly for a bit, land, stop, and try to restart. (Need it toasty and the weather is supposed to be cool for the next little while anyway) However, the difference in how fast the prop spun and the engine fired up with the new solenoid compared to the old was very noticeable so I am hopeful that it solves my issue. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

After a week of work on our new Florida home, all three of our kids arrived in the last day for a week of family time.  The oldest with her husband and our only two grand kids.  All but one son ( flew into Sanford this afternoon) drove down in one van nonstop from Green Bay, WI.......argh.

Anyway, met another Mooney Spacer (Steve) from Canada and saw this really beautiful airplane on the ramp last night.  When we went out for the "Friday Night Air Show" there was a young couple getting their picture taken professionally with the plane as the background.   They OBVIOUSLY have taste!!!

Tom

IMG_1337.JPG

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

After a week of work on our new Florida home, all three of our kids arrived in the last day for a week of family time.  The oldest with her husband and our only two grand kids.  All but one son ( flew into Sanford this afternoon) drove down in one van nonstop from Green Bay, WI.......argh.

Anyway, met another Mooney Spacer (Steve) from Canada and saw this really beautiful airplane on the ramp last night.  When we went out for the "Friday Night Air Show" there was a young couple getting their picture taken professionally with the plane as the background.   They OBVIOUSLY have taste!!!

Tom

IMG_1337.JPG

Here's a visitor that showed up in transient parking this morning.

I love this place!

Tom

IMG_1340.JPG

• Like 4