Today's flight for 2017

bonal

25 minutes ago, bradp said:

Some pilots may vouch for that particular bulb bought on Amazon. Wink.

If I had put that exact same light from Amazon in my plane I could tell you that it is an 8 degree wide beam instead of the 10 degree beam high dollar certified light. However, if I did have it in my plane I would tell you that it was much brighter than the original, that there is no visible difference with 2 less degrees of spread,  and that it does a great job when landing at night. I would probably also still have the original in my hangar just in case it had to be swapped out for annual. Hypothetically speaking... 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, bradp said:

Some pilots may vouch for that particular bulb bought on Amazon. Wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday, Amazon said there were 3 left in stock.  This morning, only 1.  Hmmm...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, 1964-M20E said:

My flight today was interesting.  I am headed to KORL from New Orleans estimate 3 hour flight time with good tail winds.   Weather at take off excellent cool temps, clear skies forecast at KORl  is to be to be clear and current conditions are clear.

I get to Ocala area and ATC tells me to expect the visual for 25 just what I was expecting then 15 minutes later KORL is MVFR and ATC is jammed with traffic.

ATC vectoring me for the ILS 25 and I'm about 10 miles away essentially a down wind over KMCO at 3000 the engine starts running a little rough so I enrich the mixture and it goes away.  Now vectored to intercept the glide slope and the roughness comes back as I back off the throttle.  I push the throttle in and it lessens some but comes back when I back off the throttle.  Look at engine monitor and #3 is cold.  i debated about declaring an emergency but at this time I was on final and cleared for the approach.  I stay high once I'm under the clouds keeping more power that normal and we make an otherwise uneventful landing.

Once settled at the FBO I remove the right side cowl cover and my #3 intake tube is dangling no bolts.  I get with the mechanic who happens to be there tel him what is going on and he will look at it Monday.

So time for a beer.  Oh that already happen when we stopped for lunch with the grand kids. :D

Well at least the winds aloft forecast was correct we made it here in 3 hours.

I had that happen to #2 once on my F model way back when, Noticed it when I reduced MP for decent. I thought a spinner bulkhead had cracked and was about to come apart at first. Ruined a good pair of shorts. Applied MP and it cleaned up as all cylinders were now running with essentially the same A/F ratio. Landed, pulled the pilot side cowl cheek and the problem was quickly evident. From then on, I used torque seal and checked every time the cowl was off. Good underwear is not cheap

• Like 1

Aircraft Maintenance Alternators Zerkfittings Orings Newtools has some nice tractor LED lights that could fit the in the hole in the front of an aeroplane.   If it were not certified when I put the gear down it would light up like a christmas tree.   

I have bought two sets of these so far....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZ9VAOI/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b140B1_c_x_3_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=KARCZNT8M914YRMEXEDT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c38c8018-af02-5200-a7dd-5438cf509abe&pf_rd_i=15730331

Well it's been a while and finally the weather and obligations to family aligned to allow some flying. It was only a hop to Walley World for some needed supplies but was so nice to be flying again. Snoopy performed as though not a day was missed and with the exception of a couple of not my best landings all was right with the world once leveled off in severe clear. Mount Shasta way off in the distance shown pure white even had some snow remaining on our local mountains. The lakes are full to the brim and the green country side would put envy in any Irish scene. Hopefully won't be so long until next flight.  this winter was one for the books and with the grace of God the spring will bring some great adventures and flights to new destinations.

• Like 4

On 3/12/2017 at 8:41 PM, bonal said:

That's a nice shot of my home lake bug smasher. Is there an airport at sisters.

That is Klamath Lake in Oregon. Looks like Clearlake from altitude though. Yes, great airport in Sisters (6K5). Nice courtesy car too. The only downside is 100LL is $5.80, so on my way out of town I made the 6 minute hop to Redmond (KRDM) and filled my bird for $3.75 a gallon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bug Smasher said:

That is Klamath Lake in Oregon. Looks like Clearlake from altitude though. Yes, great airport in Sisters (6K5). Nice courtesy car too. The only downside is 100LL is $5.80, so on my way out of town I made the 6 minute hop to Redmond (KRDM) and filled my bird for $3.75 a gallon.

I would have bet that first pic was Clearlake. 

Peevee do you have TAWS? That would be dicey after dark.

I went to KIMT, YooperRocketman's stomping grounds. Now I realize why he got the itch for a turbine – it looks like the homebase for the FedEx feeder caravan fleet. I didn't realize they were located in iron Mountain.
84479e46accdcf44177f8509f0c7b386.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Peevee do you have TAWS? That would be dicey after dark.

I went to KIMT, YooperRocketman's stomping grounds. Now I realize why he got the itch for a turbine – it looks like the homebase for the FedEx feeder caravan fleet. I didn't realize they were located in iron Mountain.
84479e46accdcf44177f8509f0c7b386.jpg

Sorry, was pretty busy today until late afternoon.  If I knew you were coming in I would have tried to stop out and said hi.  

I installed a gas strut over the last few days on the baggage door of my Lancair. Got tired of it dropping down and bonking me on the head. Anyway, when I got it done today I called 4 friends before finding someone free to go flying and watch the sunset from the air.  Ended up taking the bank president up in the new plane.  He was impressed and couldn't fathom I built this thing in my garage.  The sunset was spectacular.

Tom

• Like 5

Dang I should have stuck around! I was going to run up your business to see if you're there but it was getting late; Chad let me borrow a courtesy car so I could grab a quick bite to eat. I'll be back again soon. I had forgot how nice it is on that part of the UP. I haven't been out there for like 16 years. Lots of good fishing out there.

• Like 2

That was Billy Idol singing in the copilot position and Lady Ga Ga in the back. I could isolate from them but my son in the back just pulled off his headset. I then showed him how he could pull just the phone jack to not hear them and he was happy!

• Like 2

Skylane vs. Mooney

Took Mrs. Yetti over to Fredricksburg for lunch and a stroll around town yesterday.   Was skirting the Austin class C. When I hear a Skylane chatting with Austin Approach.  Seems he had been tailing me since we took off 40 minutes earlier. 30 more minutes to Fredricksburg and he could not catch us. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was only running 24/2400 

We had had a nice Italian lunch and almost got a new handbag.  Lots of spring breakers in town.

• Like 1