Mid-Air Collision @ T31 in TX

Mid-air collision at T31 near McKinnely, TX today.  Looks like an Arrow hit a Luscombe and cut the tail off while in the pattern.  RIP to the pilots and prayers for the families of those involved.  Stay safe out there.  This is one of my worst nightmares around uncontrolled airports...

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/collin-county/2016/12/31/least-one-likely-dead-small-plane-collision-mckinney

Brian

19 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

Mid-air collision at T31 near McKinnely, TX today.  Looks like an Arrow hit a Luscombe and cut the tail off while in the pattern.  RIP to the pilots and prayers for the families of those involved.  Stay safe out there.  This is one of my worst nightmares around uncontrolled airports...

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/collin-county/2016/12/31/least-one-likely-dead-small-plane-collision-mckinney

Brian

Very very sad.... keep your heads on a swivel out there.... 

That was my home airport growing up and I learned to fly there. We departed the McKinney National airport earlier today and I got a few calls about this as it happened right after we landed in Wichita. Very sad. 3 fatalities are now reported.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Prayers and our thoughts are with their families. Be careful out there...keep your eyes outside, specially in the pattern...TCAS, ADS B and whatever other gadgets we may love don't substitute our eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is all over the news around Dallas, with the usual tripe about "no tower", "no ATC involvement", "what kind of safety do they have", etc. A lot of coverage about apparently experienced, nice guy, pilots.

Interestingly I have not heard anything about where or when either of them took off or planned to land. Someone was speculating they were "flying together", but no real evidence I heard to indicate that.

On 1/1/2017 at 0:14 PM, flyboy0681 said:

And don't forget that your fancy new ADS-B units won't capture that traffic very well, if at all.

I watched the L3 presentation of ADS-B on SocialFlight and it was informative of the limitations of NexGen. Even after the mandate, the big risk will be from planes that are not ADS-B equipped. In addition, if the ADS-R/TIS-B is not received because of your altitude, you can potentially miss a lot of traffic. Eyes out the window will be here forever. It is also one of the reasons I opted for an active traffic solution. 

I did an IPC this past weekend with my instructor buddy and we dealt with 5 traffic deviations due to conflicting traffic. I'm sure there are parts of the country where you don't see a plane for hours. Just not in the northeast and I'm sure not in other congested areas.

• Like 1