EDM 900

aajones5

14 minutes ago, donkaye said:

In my opinion the MVP-50 is the best engine monitor out there, but if you have a  C Model Mooney it is a bit overkill.  The cost, even at a discount is close to ⅓ the total cost of your plane.

maybe I'm catching Marauderitis.  lol

I checked spruce, and they have it listed for $5548 for a 4 cylinder.  It's not as extreme as I was expecting, but it is a good 2k more than the 900.

maybe I'm catching Marauderitis.  lol
I checked spruce, and they have it listed for $5548 for a 4 cylinder.  It's not as extreme as I was expecting, but it is a good 2k more than the 900.

Marauderitis -- an infliction whereby the infected spend more money on an airplane than the airplane is worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

So I got an estimate today from the avionics guy and he estimated a little over $10,000 with 70 hours of labor factored in (he said the real amount should be lower than this), but still looking at that amount of money made me wanna throw up so I think I'm going to change up my plan quite a bit. My new thoughts are to just buy individual instruments for the things I really wanted. So I'm going to get my inop fuel gauges fixed as well as get a fuel flow gauge installed and a carb heat gauge. My questions are what do yall recommend as far as a good fuel flow gauge that's not bad in price, and when looking at carb heat gauges I saw the ARP Carburetor Ice Detection System for $413 on aircraft spruce so I was wondering if I should get that or a carb heat gauge. Also I really want to get more precise with leaning and I currently have an Alcor EGT gauge and a standard CHT gauge but was wondering if I should get an expanded one of either of those that will give me info on all cylinders or what I should do with that.

4 minutes ago, aajones5 said:

So I got an estimate today from the avionics guy and he estimated a little over $10,000 with 70 hours of labor factored in (he said the real amount should be lower than this), but still looking at that amount of money made me wanna throw up so I think I'm going to change up my plan quite a bit. My new thoughts are to just buy individual instruments for the things I really wanted. So I'm going to get my inop fuel gauges fixed as well as get a fuel flow gauge installed and a carb heat gauge. My questions are what do yall recommend as far as a good fuel flow gauge that's not bad in price, and when looking at carb heat gauges I saw the ARP Carburetor Ice Detection System for $413 on aircraft spruce so I was wondering if I should get that or a carb heat gauge. Also I really want to get more precise with leaning and I currently have an Alcor EGT gauge and a standard CHT gauge but was wondering if I should get an expanded one of either of those that will give me info on all cylinders or what I should do with that.

A little over $10k to install what? There is NO way an engine analyzer, even a primary one should cost you over $10k. Time for another shop.

• Like 3

I would promptly find another avionics guy.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, aajones5 said:

The EDM-900 from aircraft spruce was $3375 he quoted 70 hours labor at $95 an hour as well as $250 for misc. He also said some hoses might be required and the last one he did ran around $1000 for that.

Mine was probably in the 40 hours to install range. No way should it cost you anywhere near that amount. I would shop around.

curious as to who yall used they might be near me and I don't have an established A&P or anything, I used this guy yesterday to repair my audio panel but other than that I haven't had any experience with anyone else.

Where you at?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, aajones5 said:

The EDM-900 from aircraft spruce was $3375 he quoted 70 hours labor at $95 an hour as well as $250 for misc. He also said some hoses might be required and the last one he did ran around $1000 for that.

Even my MVP 50 installation was only 40 hours.

JPI says 20 hours, so that's what my shop charged. It took them a bit longer, and he might charge for 30 hours on the next Mooney that comes in wanting one. I also helped out a bit and am doing all the calibration work myself.

But $10K for the install???  Go find a shop that actually knows how to install it, obviously they don't and are charging you to go to school.

11 hours ago, aajones5 said:

Oxford, MS

You might check with @TWinter as he just had major avionics surgery on his plane and appeared to be pleased with the results. He is about 100 nm north of you in Tennessee.

Yeah, $10K seems to be more than just a bit high.

KGGG is not that far from you. Give DMax a call. My A&P is installing another JPI EDM 900 in a Bonanza right now, it does not take an avionics shop to install, my guy's rate is $65 and he's probably better at all the plumbing tasks (e.g., pulling the fuel level sensors for rebuilding at Lock Haven) than an electron handler.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

You might check with @TWinter as he just had major avionics surgery on his plane and appeared to be pleased with the results. He is about 100 nm north of you in Tennessee.

Yeah, $10K seems to be more than just a bit high.

Dyersburg Avionics did mine (actually located at Caruthersville, MO) M05 . Feel free to give them a call or fly over and let them look at your panel. They would be able to get you a more accurate price. My labor install was a mixed bag, but I'll take a look tonight and might be able to give you a ballpark. I did have the 830 installed already and went to 930, but from what I understand they still had to remove the majority of the old to install the new. I do agree 70 hrs is not accurate.

I paid $5295 (4 years ago) for the 930 plus 36 hours to install. Probably plus some supplies and incidentals. This was Twin Lakes Avionics. At the time their shop rate was $75. so right at $8000. But you should be able to beat that using an A&P. Most shops will have done lots of engine sensor work.

Wow, we covered a lot of detail...

1) full instrumentation of a modern plane requires about 40 hours to install, a full week of labor...

2) Carb ice detection is a nice idea.  It is usually done extremely well by knowing and controlling carb air temperature.  An extra sensor to know that ice has formed on it sounds like additional money spent when money is the issue of this conversation.

3) Sounds like a good time to sit down with your supplier to review his quote. What is included and not included.

4) Sounds like a good time to get a second opinion to compare two suppliers.  Minimum effort of buying important and expensive systems.  A lot more challenging that buying a pair of Nikes...

5) References are also important because the quality of the install and the time it takes can be hard to ascertain from a paper quote.

6) The good news is there is a tremendous number of these systems installed over the years.  When an MSC is the low cost supplier.  The project makes really good sense.

7) There used to be a day when nobody would put such expensive devices in M20Cs.  Today, M20Cs get 10amu GPSs, 10amu instruments, 10amu Aspens, and 10amu paint. The M20C is that good of an airplane... Today there are more GPSs everywhere including on your wrist and in your pocket...

8) The main difference in the instrumentation being purchased for a C, compared to other Mooneys, is the carb temp instrumentation.

9) when getting quotes JPI and EI make very similar equipment, from a hardware and installation point of view.  The EI has fewer followers, but their reputation is more stellar... JPI has dropped the ball on a few Mooney owners on things that were electrical engineering level 101...

10) You are on the right track, just need to finish the details...

How does that sound, overly optimistic?

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, daver328 said:

The plane had an EDM-700 and FS-450 when we bought it. We upgraded to a EDM-830 about two years later and loved it.

Last summer we had to overhaul the MP/FP gauge ... seems like it was $300-$400 plus shipping and labor...

Recently, after facing $1950 to overhaul the original  Garwin "six pack" of engine gauges ... we decided to just remove ALL the original gauges (RPM, MP/FP, Engine/Fuel Tanks) and upgrade to an EDM-930. It's in the shop now ... getting that ... along with a few other upgrades.

No regrets... wish we'd just gone to the 900/930 to begun with!

Dave, who's doing the install?