Bravo engine surging while leaning at cruise power

Rick Junkin

Tony I e-mailed Mike Busch who was nice enough to answer quickly and said if I have no oil residue on the plugs use the cool ones, if there is stuff there use the hotter ones, I'm basically clueless and just ask even thought does not sink in.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Mine has started using a little oil ........ About a qt every 10 hours but certainly nothing on the plugs. I need to share my latest story about losing both plugs in one cylinder last weekend at 11,000' with 500' ceilings below at our precautionary landing airport. :o

I need to get new plugs on the way ASAP.

27 minutes ago, Tony Armour said:

Thanks guys. Mine has started using a little oil ........ About a qt every 10 hours but certainly nothing on the plugs. I need to share my latest story about losing both plugs in one cylinder last weekend at 11,000' with 500' ceilings below at our precautionary landing airport. :o

I need to get new plugs on the way ASAP.

Make this guy an offer:  https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=134453

Would an IO550 be using the same plugs as an IO540?

The link supplied by Lance above indicates the Continental engine....

Cut and pasted...

Brand new set of (12) Tempest URHB32S

hope that is helpful,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Ordered today. New ones on the way, I'll know exactly what I'm getting. He wanted to break even with what he paid. $10 off a plug wasn't worth it for me not knowing the history and handling of them. My recent plug issues I would rather not risk anything.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017 at 4:01 PM, Junkman said:

You guys just about have me talked into it. Re-cowling my airplane isn't one of my favorite things, which is why I was going to wait until the oil change to swap the plugs, but I'm thinking better of it now. I'm headed out of town on business for a couple of weeks, but if I don't have any immediate personal travel requirements when I get back I'll put the new plugs in then. 7 hours of better performance and fuel savings is probably worth it. And I can probably find someone to give me a hand with the cowling.

Cheers,

Rick

Do the plugs now...the Tempests won't care if oil is new...besides the high alitide performance and ease on the magnetos...they last 500 hrs!

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

Do the plugs now...the Tempests won't care if oil is new...besides the high alitide performance and ease on the magnetos...they last 500 hrs!

At least

On 2/18/2017 at 1:34 PM, Junkman said:

Still no new GAMI baseline, but I flew the airplane round trip from St Louis (KSUS) to Jackson TN (KMKL) a week ago with the Tempest fine wires installed, and the airplane ran great. I had some vibration at 2200RPM that I hadn't seen before with the Champion massives, but it smoothed out at 2300 RPM and I'll be recalibrating myself to run at a higher RPM/lower MAP going forward. I know, there may be some further investigation into where the vibe came from, but I'm happy with everything else (easier start, smoother ground running, etc.). I'm planning to take my wife to Lambert's, Home of Throwed Rolls, in Sikeston MO (KSIK) for lunch tomorrow, so should have opportunity to gather more data. I'll let y'all know what I see.

Cheers,
Rick

Uh..why on earth were you running at 2200 rpm??

Of course it's there...I have never heard of anyone actually running at that reduced airspeed and power...extended duration cruise?Most Bravo owners bought into the speed and altitude...the Sun  Visor chart also is printed for peak TIT of 1750 which caused a lot of early cyl,exhaust,turbo premature replacement.Again my checkout by Chuck McGill and later Don Kaye advised against operating this lean.So Lance ,is 2200 your default setting?If so what airspeed are you seeing?

10 hours ago, thinwing said:

Of course it's there...I have never heard of anyone actually running at that reduced airspeed and power...extended duration cruise?Most Bravo owners bought into the speed and altitude...the Sun  Visor chart also is printed for peak TIT of 1750 which caused a lot of early cyl,exhaust,turbo premature replacement.Again my checkout by Chuck McGill and later Don Kaye advised against operating this lean.So Lance ,is 2200 your default setting?If so what airspeed are you seeing?

No it's not my default setting, but I can see that if someone chose to run it that way there's a lot of test data to show that it's a viable power setting. I was simply answering the question, "Why on earth were you running at 2200 RPM?"

I've been flying eastbound across the country with an amazing headwind up in the Flight Levels and to avoid a fuel stop after calculating my range and then running at a reduced power setting made for a shorter trip than having to descend, make a fuel stop and climb back up again. So although the power setting might not be anyone's default setting, there's a place for it. An M20M, especially with long range tanks, offers a lot of cross country options.

(BTW 2400/29" is my default)