C model 200hp Upgrade

Curious if anyone on this forum has experience upgrading a C-model to an E motor (200hp IO-360-A1A). Preferably someone who has experience with the LASAR STC and would be willing to share a copy for information purposes. 

Looking for detailed information about the work required for the installation.

Thanks in advance! 

Ben Kaufman

N5693Q (1200 hrs in past 10 yrs)

Thanks crew. 

I have access to a donor E model with a strong engine and an RV6 in need of a parallel valve, so this swap kills two birds with one stone.

Just need to understand the extent of the work needed to make the conversion. LASAR estimates 80hrs of labor on their website but no details around how much of that would be avoided by using donor E components (airbox, baffles, etc) 

Jake35 here appears to have a copy of the STC and have sent him a PM. 

Anyone else out there?

IMG_0905.JPG

• Like 1

It takes a few things to align.  Each of those things costs AMUs.  It looks like you might have this covered.

usually the cost of the conversion and STC outweighs the cost of swapping planes.  Most people trade the C in to buy an E.  this just becomes difficult when your C is finally the way you like it, and starting over doesn't sound very enticing.

Check in with Lasar and see what it will take for you to make it happen.  It is going to be a pile of parts to acquire and the labor to put it all together.  The more of the right parts you have, the better off you will be. Two people working for a week doesn't sound like too much labor.

see if that includes pulling the old engines off their current planes.  There can be a lot of work involved in preparing the C that might not be obvious...

Best regards,

-a-

Having a donor would be a big help.  You'll need the fuel boost pump, fuel pressure gauge, baffles, engine controls etc.

Your propeller will likely require adjustment to the fine pitch stops.  On a Hartzell it can be done in the field, a McCauley needs to go to a prop shop.

I would make sure that the engine mount has the gussets installed per the AD and SB if not already done.

Clarence

Once you've gone Mooney...

The only question is what will the next Mooney will be?

1) High performance fire breathing Mooney with all of the instruments...

-or-

2) Dreamy retirement Mooney with all of the instruments!

I'm waiting for George with guidance on how he is handling this question.... M20F, F18, M20S...  

what could possibly fit At the end of this series..?

Thinking out loud,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Once you've gone Mooney...

The only question is what will the next Mooney will be?

1) High performance fire breathing Mooney with all of the instruments...

-or-

2) Dreamy retirement Mooney with all of the instruments!

I'm waiting for George with guidance on how he is handling this question.... M20F, F18, M20S...  

what could possibly fit At the end of this series..?

Thinking out loud,

-a-

You know how I would answer that!

Clarence 

5 hours ago, bonal said:

And apparently right into a 252

Actually my wife was the reason for the 252. She decided that a Mooney isn't such a bad way to travel. Two weeks of travel by Mooney around the western US with visits to several Nat. Parks, with our dog, changed her mind on travel by Mooney. With funds available and now the Secretary of the Treasury on board, the C was sold and the 252 acquired.  I showed her how the "Weekend Circle" would be larger with a 252.

• Like 5