Ovation Landing and Taxi Lights Upgrade

I am looking at upgrading my taxi and landing lights for my 1995 Ovation.      I am looking at the 50 watt XV-36-SL and XV-36-ST from http://www.xevision.com/hid_aircraft_kits.html#conversionkits.  Does anyone have any experience with these lamps or have any better ideas?  I thought I might have wanted to go with LEDs but I want a bright white light not blue.  I am relatively new to this list and appreciate any advice.

Norm

N995K 

• Like 1

Norm,

While hunting around MS for similar experience, you may encounter some experience from other Mooney pilots... short body and mid body pilots...

There isn't much difference from the wing mounted taxi and/or landing lights for the O...  we just get two of each...

Lights come in two sizes.  Small ones fit in the wings, large ones fit in the nose...

Then there are the lights that come from a tractor.... same as the aviation version, but without the expensive paperwork... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Call Dan at XeVision.  He has a Mooney drawing showing the installation which represents approved data. ( I think).  This would be the basis for an approval of a 337.  You would have to install the way the drawing is done but this should not be a problem.  I would suggest you get the drawing write up a 337 and take it to your FAA inspector and get it approved before you buy the lights.  The FAA decided that since one company got an STC approval they should stonewall all the field approvals to benefit the company who bowed to the FAA and went through the process.  I am at the starting point of a field approval but Christmas got in the way.  Let us know how you are progressing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Modern LEDs are white, compare to incandescents that are yellowish. I don't notice any blue in my Whelens.

The LEDs my A&P showed me on a twin at his shop had a bluish tint to them.  That's not what I am looking for.   I have HID lamps on my Corvette that are bright white but are completely illegal.  They turn night into day and burn the retinas out of anyone coming the other way.   That's kind of what I am looking for.

Thanks 

26 minutes ago, FoxMike said:

Call Dan at XeVision.  He has a Mooney drawing showing the installation which represents approved data. ( I think).  This would be the basis for an approval of a 337.  You would have to install the way the drawing is done but this should not be a problem.  I would suggest you get the drawing write up a 337 and take it to your FAA inspector and get it approved before you buy the lights.  The FAA decided that since one company got an STC approval they should stonewall all the field approvals to benefit the company who bowed to the FAA and went through the process.  I am at the starting point of a field approval but Christmas got in the way.  Let us know how you are progressing.

I sent an e-mail to them inquiring about the 75 watt "special request only"   I'm interested in what they say.   I like your idea about getting a 337 approved.   My airport has lots of deer that I have dodged in the past.   I don't know why the FAA would object to improving safety by improving forward vision on landing?  But I quess I will find out.

The LEDs my A&P showed me on a twin at his shop had a bluish tint to them.  That's not what I am looking for.   I have HID lamps on my Corvette that are bright white bue completely illegal.  They turn night into day and burn the retinas out of anyone comming the other way.   Thats kind of what I am looking for.
Thanks 

I believe you have the par 36 wing mounted lights, a pair of landing and a pair of taxi. If you end up going the HID route for the landing lights, I would consider Whelens landing lights for the taxi lights, this would give you a low amperage option that doesn't destroy others retinas. Im not a big fan of the taxi lights, they have a wide swath of light but it doesn't throw a lot of light in front of you and would go with the landing lights instead.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, teejayevans said:

I believe you have the par 36 wing mounted lights, a pair of landing and a pair of taxi. If you end up going the HID route for the landing lights, I would consider Whelens landing lights for the taxi lights, this would give you a low amperage option that doesn't destroy others retinas. Im not a big fan of the taxi lights, they have a wide swath of light but it doesn't throw a lot of light in front of you and would go with the landing lights instead.

That is a great idea.   Thanks.

I installed HID lights for both landing and Taxi when I did my rebuild.  (I have an F model, but have the Ovation lights mounted in the wings, one taxi, one landing on each side). 

They are great.  I would think any HID brand would work, just need approved 337.  Any STC by the manufacturer for a certified airplane should work for approved data.

John Breda

I talked with the FISDO and my A&P and ended up ordering the 50 watt XV-36-SL.  Dan B at XeVision was very nice to work with.   They have already shipped and are scheduled to be delivered next Wednesday.   I'll send pictures after they are installed.   I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...