Seat foam "Re-do"

• 1 year later...

For CAR3 the regs posted above are correct and if you use auto or even restaurant fabrics the manufacture will list what national reg the fabric conforms to and that is what is needed to be referenced in the log book. CAR3 only requires the fabric outer covering to conform, not the padding. All household carpets sold in the USA now have to conform to a national fire standard. Again, the manufacturer will have the reference.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:48 AM, bradp said:

@Rmag did you use the scandia foam for your plane?  I recall some pictures ...

Yes, that is mostly what we use.  Most of the interiors we do are in cabin class aircraft that require burn certs.  The Skandia foam is impregnated with flamabilty resistant materials. 

• 1 year later...

Reviving an older thread, because I didn't find anything more current or definitive.  While I await an annual, I'm going to replace the seat bottom cushion foam.  The seat covers are leather, and in good shape.  And I've redone the back foam with some additional lumbar support...that was easy.  But the seat bottom foam is more complex. 

I do have an electric carving knife for this, so I'm not afraid to cut foam to shape...but, I did not have good luck with my first attempt at making a bottom foam cushion.  I pieced together foam, like the prior seat was done...I used 3M Super 77 and it worked fine until the ADS-B upgrade...where I'm guessing there were lots of knees on the pilot seat and the side block tore free.  So, since I'm down for a while, I thought it would make sense to replace the bottom seat cushions.  And I'd like to just get a replacement cushion that's pre-made/fits.

I've seen mention of cushions from Aircraft Spruce, but it seems they only carry the foam blocks.  If you used that, which one did you get?  I've also seem mention of SCS Interiors, but I'm not clear from their site if they make the cushions to shape or just sell foam.  They have lots of pre-cut carpet kits shown, but no premade seat foam.

So, does anyone have any more recent sources or favorites or suggestions?  Thanks!

I recommend calling up these folks:

https://www.seatfoam.com/index.html

They're a husband and wife who've been selling Confor-foam for a very long time, and have been exhibitors at Oshkosh for decades.  Two of the nicest people you've ever met!

They will be able to give very good recommendations when you describe your project.  They know their stuff.  They have three different foam densities that go from firm to soft.  Don't go too much by their website, they're older folks who still prefer old-school methods like talking on the phone or in person.

Good luck- post pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

They're a husband and wife who've been selling Confor-foam for a very long time, and have been exhibitors at Oshkosh for decades.  Two of the nicest people you've ever met!

They will be able to give very good recommendations when you describe your project.  They know their stuff.  They have three different foam densities that go from firm to soft.  Don't go too much by their website, they're older folks who still prefer old-school methods like talking on the phone or in person.

I second this recommendation.  Kind, thoughtful and very helpful people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Okay, a great recommendation and I'll give them a call today!  Thanks @Andy95W and @MooneyMitch

Okay, I called Hi Tech Foams (Seatfoam.com) and spoke with Janice...and ordered two large seat cushion foam laminate pieces.  She was delightful and I appreciate the referral to them.  Even without her/their expertise, I'd do business with them again just for the pleasure of the experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I ordered one each of all three 1x16x18 for each bottom cushion from Wicks. The local upholstery shop replaced foam in both seats in one hour. Noticeably harder on first contact but warmed up quickly 

8EEDC45A-FBDD-490A-A7EC-E933419525D2.png

• Like 1