KBUF for Customs clearance

Thanks for the input.  We're headed southwest maybe on Sunday so Buffalo is a bit in the wrong direction and Port Clinton, my usual AOE, is weekdays only.  But I checked with Erie (KERI) and they'll be available on the weekend with prior notification, so that's more direct.

5 minutes ago, ohdub said:

I have also found KDAY to be very good for customs and there is no landing fee.

That would be about a 2:00 +/- 0:30 flight for me depending on the winds.  I like to be going through customs asap to avoid the +/- 15 minute planned arrival time requirement.  I also know that KERI and KPCW are fast through customs... KPHN on the other hand is horrible.  We spent almost an hour of customs interrogation there on our way to the midwest. ...never had that happen before.  (and the FBO internet was down, their phone wasn't working and we couldn't get cell phone connection.  It was a WTF visit.

I've already made a KERI reservation. Maybe next time we'll try Dayton if we're headed that way.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Cyril,

Have you checked with the local customs office at Port Clinton about the hours?

We have a local air charter service that flies international (Pelee Island) every week end. I believe they use customs here seven days a week.

I didn't get an answer when I called there.  I left a message asking about weekend reservations and didn't get a call back, so I arranged with Erie.

Depends where you're going. I try to find a place that is close or along the way to my destination. Phone ahead because some are available with a little notice. If you're close to the border you can get the regular CBP people with the same attitude as the ones at the bridges when you cross with your car. 

CBP is so modern that if you land your aircraft on a barge and float up to the U.S. shoreline of any of the Great Lakes AND you have a NEXUS card, then you can just call a telephone number and report your arrival. I was hoping that they would streamline NEXUS for GA ops but nope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

That would be about a 2:00 +/- 0:30 flight for me depending on the winds.  I like to be going through customs asap to avoid the +/- 15 minute planned arrival time requirement.  I also know that KERI and KPCW are fast through customs... KPHN on the other hand is horrible.  We spent almost an hour of customs interrogation there on our way to the midwest. ...never had that happen before.  (and the FBO internet was down, their phone wasn't working and we couldn't get cell phone connection.  It was a WTF visit.

I've already made a KERI reservation. Maybe next time we'll try Dayton if we're headed that way.

Erie will be easy.  They are very fast and friendly. I've cleared there several times.   

On 12/30/2016 at 7:53 PM, Cyril Gibb said:

I didn't get an answer when I called there.  I left a message asking about weekend reservations and didn't get a call back, so I arranged with Erie.

UPDATE INFO:

Customs at Port Clinton (KPCW) is open seven days a week 8:00 AM till 10:00 PM . Please use the local customs direct phone number to contact an agent. (419) 732 4446. Our website is being updated to reflect this information. http://www.portclintonairport.com/us-customs.htm

We are currently under construction, building a brand new million dollar full biometric capable facility. Service here is top notch, very quick and very friendly.

Please tell your friends and spread the word that Port Clinton should be the preferred AOE for international flights.

1 hour ago, Cruiser said:

UPDATE INFO:

Customs at Port Clinton (KPCW) is open seven days a week 8:00 AM till 10:00 PM . Please use the local customs direct phone number to contact an agent. (419) 732 4446. Our website is being updated to reflect this information. http://www.portclintonairport.com/us-customs.htm

We are currently under construction, building a brand new million dollar full biometric capable facility. Service here is top notch, very quick and very friendly.

Please tell your friends and spread the word that Port Clinton should be the preferred AOE for international flights.

Is this the office which was at Sandusky?  It was always a friendly place to clear customs.

Clarence

That is correct. The Griffing family sold their airport and moved to Port Clinton. They operate their Air Taxi and Flying services from KPCW now. The Dept of Homeland Security built a huge regional office across the street but the airport was still required to have a Customs facility on the tarmac. We have been operating out of a temporary trailer office. The permanent building should be open in May, 2017

6 hours ago, Cruiser said:

UPDATE INFO:

Now I'm confused.  The US CBP website says KPCW coverage is weekdays, business hours.  The Port Clinton website says otherwise.  For future reference, which is correct?

By the way, the KPCW website has an incorrect  CBP phone number.

Cyril, 

We are working on it. Sorry for all the confusion. The local phone number to use is (419) 732 4446

The US CBP website says ALL the Ports of Entry are weekdays, business hours. Check Buffalo........

Port Clinton customs will accept arrivals seven days a week between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM every day of the year.

Hope to see see you here soon.

TomK

On 01/03/2017 at 11:08 PM, Cruiser said:

Cyril, 

We are working on it. Sorry for all the confusion. The local phone number to use is (419) 732 4446

The US CBP website says ALL the Ports of Entry are weekdays, business hours. Check Buffalo........

Port Clinton customs will accept arrivals seven days a week between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM every day of the year.

TomK

OK... good.  I hate the over-water to Erie.  I'll try Port Clinton again next time.  Both have friendly staff....

On January 3, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Cruiser said:

Cyril, 

TomK

Tom,

That's a great service level, thanks for posting.

Clarence

I have only used KBUF once and it was under unusual circumstances (emergency landing in Can., no passports), but they made it seamless.  The only comment I have for you is that KBUF can be a very busy commercial airspace, at times verging on B traffic.  We landed between a Boeing and an Embraer.  Taxi was somewhat complicated as I recall, although I was a fairly new pilot at the time so it may have seemed more complicated than it would to me today.  Foreflight, iPad and a georeferenced taxiway diagram sure make a difference.  Just be aware that you are likely to be dealing with the typical issues of being in and around the big iron. If you are good with that, then don't worry, customs was pretty good.