Lawn mower tow

DMJones

I have yet to find a method that works in the grass. I've tried pushing my plane back with a regular TroyBilt lawnmower with 3x 40lbs plates on the front and then one of those massive Grasshopper ZTRs and nothing working. Just kept lifting the front end of the TroyBilt and the ZTR kept just sliding side-to-side. I have a Honda 420 ATV with knobby tires that seems to work but its got a centrifugal clutch that needs some RPM to overcome the initial weight and I feel like it burns it up.

I bought a cheap Chinese 125cc kids 4 wheel ATV, electric start, reverse.  I immediately smoked the first clutch.  Then I had a monster rear sprocket made for it.  Now I can tow it as far and as fast as I am comfortable with.  I posted a link in here a while ago but, now I can't seem to find it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 2:57 PM, thinwing said:

What great joke ..invite your buddy for a plane ride ,than show  up in that wheel chair wearing blind man glasses and request help getting into pilots seat!

@mooneyflier do you have any close up views of your tow bar at the nose gear attachment point and the electric scooter?  What size rod did you use at the nosegear?  I like this solution....local listings have dozens of these scooters for sale.

21 hours ago, apenney said:

@mooneyflier do you have any close up views of your tow bar at the nose gear attachment point and the electric scooter?  What size rod did you use at the nosegear?  I like this solution....local listings have dozens of these scooters for sale.

I believe you can use 3/4" black pipe from Homer dan.  If you are going to try and weld galvanized pipe emits nasty gasses.   If you use a threaded nipple, you can buy an end cap as a keeper so it don't slip out. Black pipe is not structural, YMMV, Welding slag is hot, Professional driver on closed course.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:20 PM, DonMuncy said:

Zack, If you will PM me your email address, I will send them. I have had trouble trying to post them. There are several pages.

Don 214 207-6744 d.muncy@sbcglobal.net

Me too...I have been looking to make one. PM sent! I can provide an FTP site if files are too big.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2018 at 4:53 PM, Seymour said:

Love this site!   I was just about to post this ad to Craigslist but I'm getting ideas......

image.png.d2fe8197f1715f16d99f3ddab4362ab4.png

Jazzy Power Mobility Chair - Electric Wheelchair 

"Jazzy Select" Power Chair -    Runs great, Good condition, Used daily for two years.  Has a cosmetic crack in the red fiberglass covering.  Comes with charger, cords and head rest.  

Hey Seymour!

I just bought one of these with the same idea for my J.  Did you end up doing it? What kind of attachment did you use?

BLT

Edited by Flyin Brian

I love BD’s air horse...

Each time I see the pic... I must comment on the rubber piece at the lip of the dog house... it is supposed to fit into the curl of the cowling sheet metal...

So...

If you have a dog house... check that this rubber piece is hiding up in the top of the cowl...this way all the air goes to the right place...

PP thoughts from my M20C days...

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, Flyin Brian said:

I just bought one of these with the same idea for my J.  Did you end up doing it? What kind of attachment did you use?

Sorry, Brian -  

Although I still love the idea, my partner was concerned that he wouldn't be able to see over the cowl while sitting in the chair and would risk hangar rash backing the plane in.   So I wimped out and bought a sidewinder.   I hate the way it chews the nose wheel, but it works.   

I still have TWO of the chairs sitting in the hangar (and my partner wants them gone) so if anyone in MA / NH wants a power chair, they're up for grabs - free!.

Good Luck!

10 hours ago, Seymour said:

Sorry, Brian -  

Although I still love the idea, my partner was concerned that he wouldn't be able to see over the cowl while sitting in the chair and would risk hangar rash backing the plane in.   So I wimped out and bought a sidewinder.   I hate the way it chews the nose wheel, but it works.   

I still have TWO of the chairs sitting in the hangar (and my partner wants them gone) so if anyone in MA / NH wants a power chair, they're up for grabs - free!.

Good Luck!

I’m working on a plan. I have a painted line to guide me. I’m not super handy, so I may have to figure out a longer towbar like previously in the thread. 

11 hours ago, Seymour said:

Sorry, Brian -  

Good Luck!

Paint a mark or hang something from the ceiling near the back wall to aim the top of the tail, it really helps putting the plane into a narrow hangar. Mine used to be 36" wider than the wings [18" on either side if I was exactly in the middle and the doors were fully open], that will sharpen your backing skills.  :P

• Like 3