Lawn mower tow

DMJones

This thing with the ring extension...
https://www.redlineaviation.com/beechcraft/st-1-beechcraft-airplanes/
Best regards,
-a-

My guess is the bar you have isn't very heavy and that may be the issue. The Brackett version is pretty hefty. Another thing that is different is the Brackett attaches to both sides of the nose gear which adds stability. Maybe you should borrow my Tow bar and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/28/2016 at 2:08 PM, DMJones said:

I know I saw photos of handmade tow bars and tow vehicles, but I'm having a difficult time finding them now.  I'm pretty sure @gsxrpilot made one using pipe from the hardware store.  I ordered a Redline Sidewinder, but it's still not been shipped after a couple of weeks, and I rummaged around Craigslist and am finding dozens on old riding mowers for $500...

So, I'm re-thinking the do-it-yourself route.

Can those of you that have done this post some photos and advice?

Thanks...

I'm just getting back online after a trip to the southern most continent. I can send you pictures of my home-made tow bar. In fact if you are in the area, you can just come by and pick it up. I'm at a full service FBO now and have no need for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Antarctica?

How was the weather?

Best regards,

-a-

It was the best weather anyone has seen in months. The Drake passage was smooth both directions. It was between 35 and 38 every day with little to no wind. We were there to check #7 off the list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2016 at 6:05 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm just getting back online after a trip to the southern most continent. I can send you pictures of my home-made tow bar. In fact if you are in the area, you can just come by and pick it up. I'm at a full service FBO now and have no need for it.

Very cool.  Literally AND figuratively....

Next time I head to Idaho, I may stop by.  Will it fit in the baggage compartment?  lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2016 at 0:59 AM, Marauder said:

I don't have any issues moving my F. Wonder if the Ovation creates a different issue.

I used to hand push my F into the hanger. My Missile has the heavier engine and up to 98 gal of fuel.  Much harder to push though possible and not enjoyable.  Tug better for pushing back into the the hanger.  I hand tow it out.  Very slight incline out of the hanger.

-Seth

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, DMJones said:

I know I saw photos of handmade tow bars and tow vehicles, but I'm having a difficult time finding them now.  I'm pretty sure @gsxrpilot made one using pipe from the hardware store.  I ordered a Redline Sidewinder, but it's still not been shipped after a couple of weeks, and I rummaged around Craigslist and am finding dozens on old riding mowers for $500...

So, I'm re-thinking the do-it-yourself route.

Can those of you that have done this post some photos and advice?

Thanks...

DM, I made a tow from a used Hoveround electric wheel chair 6 years ago. I found the chair on Craigslist and gave $160 for it. I built a hitch (tongue) for it and installed a 2 1/2" ball on the foot rest of the chair. I attach the hitch to the plane with a round metal rod that extends completely through the nose wheel attach point. I'll post a picture or two. Sorry for the poor quality. By the way, the chair has plenty of power to tow the Mooney with me sitting on the chair. I can tow the plane nearly as fast as a person can walk if necessary. There is a slight learning curve to operate it. I'll have to admit, I get some very funny looks from people who see me moving my plane with a wheel chair!  I also used to have a Challenger II Experimental. In order for me to hangar it in the same "T" hangar with the Mooney, I built a lift for it using a walk-behind forklift. I got the forklift on eBay for $480. I built a fork extension for the plane to sit on. I raised the Challenger about 6' and the Mooney fit under it without any problems. I used it for 3 years or so until I sold it along with the Challenger.

20140720_135014.jpg

2011-10-14_20-27-06_934.jpg

2011-10-14_20-26-29_105.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

A lot of awesome ideas.  I ordered the Redline Sidewinder on December 16th.  Apparently they're WAY behind in production.  I'm still considering getting an old lawn mower (and now maybe a wheelchair) to use, and then keeping whichever works best...

• Like 1

I'm late to the thread but 3/4" galvanized pipe makes a great sacrificial towbar. You will break the elbow before you damage the truss if turned too sharply. I'll occasionally tow my J 1/4 mile to the SS gas pump and back with my handy-dandy homemade electric tug. And in a pinch it's great for negotiating the aisles of Walmart.
c9da1981694dc65a9490d30b82f64686.jpg4e7622a5a91ec7ff05df932a1104cffb.jpgbf09231f9ed6dd84cd5907c699788569.jpg

• Like 3

Reading all of this i have  just realised there is a huge market at Oshkosh for mobility scooter towing tugs.   when we were there Andrew used one of the mobility scooters to get around, there were literally hundreds available at the front desk.  So why not work with them, buy so e of the older ones off them and convert them to a tug. You could then set up a stall in the "stall" area and sell them on.

Do you expect royalties for your idea?

Most of the tenants at my new home-base looked at me funny as I dragged the plane around, but once I hopped out of the seat many came around to check out my custom electric tug.

The best part is I also use it to open and close my big-ass heavy sticky rolling hangar doors. My back hasn't hurt in months!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2016 at 4:43 PM, DonMuncy said:

My plans, part lists, etc. available if someone wants to use all or some part of them.

Don

Don, I am interested in the plans, can you please share with me?

thank you,

Zack

13 hours ago, Zack EA said:

Don, I am interested in the plans, can you please share with me?

thank you,

Zack

Zack, If you will PM me your email address, I will send them. I have had trouble trying to post them. There are several pages.

Don 214 207-6744 d.muncy@sbcglobal.net

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wcb said:

Does some modification of this work???

I 20180722_171433.thumb.jpg.a0f485f2b1a3215902f0de104a261df1.jpg

I dont think so, I tried with a snow blower that had bigger tires and stonger engine but was unsuccessful. It didnt have enough power to push on the grass or concrete.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:53 PM, mooneyflier said:

DM, I made a tow from a used Hoveround electric wheel chair 6 years ago. I found the chair on Craigslist and gave $160 for it. I built a hitch (tongue) for it and installed a 2 1/2" ball on the foot rest of the chair. I attach the hitch to the plane with a round metal rod that extends completely through the nose wheel attach point. I'll post a picture or two. Sorry for the poor quality. By the way, the chair has plenty of power to tow the Mooney with me sitting on the chair. I can tow the plane nearly as fast as a person can walk if necessary. There is a slight learning curve to operate it. I'll have to admit, I get some very funny looks from people who see me moving my plane with a wheel chair!  I also used to have a Challenger II Experimental. In order for me to hangar it in the same "T" hangar with the Mooney, I built a lift for it using a walk-behind forklift. I got the forklift on eBay for $480. I built a fork extension for the plane to sit on. I raised the Challenger about 6' and the Mooney fit under it without any problems. I used it for 3 years or so until I sold it along with the Challenger.

20140720_135014.jpg

2011-10-14_20-27-06_934.jpg

2011-10-14_20-26-29_105.jpg

What great joke ..invite your buddy for a plane ride ,than show  up in that wheel chair wearing blind man glasses and request help getting into pilots seat!

Love this site!   I was just about to post this ad to Craigslist but I'm getting ideas......

image.png.d2fe8197f1715f16d99f3ddab4362ab4.png

Jazzy Power Mobility Chair - Electric Wheelchair 

"Jazzy Select" Power Chair -    Runs great, Good condition, Used daily for two years.  Has a cosmetic crack in the red fiberglass covering.  Comes with charger, cords and head rest.  

Edited by Seymour
brevity