Lawn mower tow

DMJones

I know I saw photos of handmade tow bars and tow vehicles, but I'm having a difficult time finding them now.  I'm pretty sure @gsxrpilot made one using pipe from the hardware store.  I ordered a Redline Sidewinder, but it's still not been shipped after a couple of weeks, and I rummaged around Craigslist and am finding dozens on old riding mowers for $500...

So, I'm re-thinking the do-it-yourself route.

Can those of you that have done this post some photos and advice?

Thanks...

59 minutes ago, Pritch said:

Here is one M20Doc posted on here made from a snowblower.

Pritch

image.thumb.jpg.991fa750af38b1b3b05ed71b9701211a.jpg

My friend built that from an old snow blower he bought on Kijiji for $100.  Then a bit of time in the shop with a welder.

Clarence

I designed and built the one shown here. Not really workable unless you can weld, etc. unless you con me into building one for you. I also have a riding mower I took the deck off of. The biggest problem is attaching a ball or other mechanism, and rigging a tow bar. I prefer my smaller one, so I don't have to get out the mower.

3rd gen 1.JPG

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, peevee said:

I can learn to weld, that might be a fun project.

It is. I am self taught. A little expensive to set up originally, but well worth it in the long run, if you generate projects like I do.

Next question is whether to go with arc or gas. Interestingly, I find that those who learn gas first, prefer it, while those who learn arc first, prefer that. I learned on gas, and feel like I do it fairly well. Arc later, and barely passable on it. I wonder about the wire fed machines, as I have never had my hands on one.

21 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

It is. I am self taught. A little expensive to set up originally, but well worth it in the long run, if you generate projects like I do.

Next question is whether to go with arc or gas. Interestingly, I find that those who learn gas first, prefer it, while those who learn arc first, prefer that. I learned on gas, and feel like I do it fairly well. Arc later, and barely passable on it. I wonder about the wire fed machines, as I have never had my hands on one.

I happen to have two 240v circuits in the garage to charge the cars. If I send you my email could you send me the plans?

I have needed to learn for awhile. It's one of those skills that when you need it, there's no substitute I'm afraid.

Edited by peevee

6 minutes ago, peevee said:

I happen to have two 240v circuits in the garage to charge the cars. If I send you my email could you send me the plans?

I have needed to learn for awhile. It's one of those skills that when you need it, there's no substitute I'm afraid.

Glad to send you anything I have, but I'm not sure what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

My plans, part lists, etc. available if someone wants to use all or some part of them.

Don

19 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Glad to send you anything I have, but I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Maybe I didn't follow. I thought you had a parts list for the electro-tug.

Just now, peevee said:

Maybe I didn't follow. I thought you had a parts list for the electro-tug.

Either you picked up the wrong post to quote, or I misunderstood. Sure, send me your e-mail and I will send the stuff. I would post it here, but it is several pages and probably not of interest to enough folks to make it worthwhile.

d.muncy@sbcglobal.net

I am in the process of building one from a personal mobility scooter, think Jazzy.  They can be picked up for very little, and you don't need to put the full sized batteries in for hangar use.   The front footrest mounts are a perfect spot to attach the welded section for hooking up to the plane.

I built this one from a garbage collected Craftsman (the deck was shot). I put a ball on the front and rear. The tow bracket is available from Aircraft Spruce (Brackett).

I also have a PowerTow that I own. I made the lawn mower version because I was having problems with the PowerTow's transmission.

The lawnmower version is fine for hauling the plane to the wash station or gas pumps, but it is a bit challenging putting the plane in the hangar with it. You also need to be careful not to exceed the tow limits on the nose truss.

e27e0e1b0bb1dd0713dcf837b974e6cd.jpg
b90aa5617ccc2e5453b0f138f455c16d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I love man toys so I have a MIG welder, doesn't everyone? Mine doesn't get touched for months at a time and I've never had proper instruction so I have to experiment with temps and wire feed speeds every time I use it - usually to repair or reinforce something.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

I built this one from a garbage collected Craftsman (the deck was shot). I put a ball on the front and rear. The tow bracket is available from Aircraft Spruce (Brackett).

I also have a PowerTow that I own. I made the lawn mower version because I was having problems with the PowerTow's transmission.

The lawnmower version is fine for hauling the plane to the wash station or gas pumps, but it is a bit challenging putting the plane in the hangar with it. You also need to be careful not to exceed the tow limits on the nose truss.

e27e0e1b0bb1dd0713dcf837b974e6cd.jpg
b90aa5617ccc2e5453b0f138f455c16d.jpg

Yours is a lot like mine. And it is a pain to use putting the plane in the hangar. But I can take the seats out for the avionics shop to work on it, and tow it down to them.

• Like 1

Do you lawnmower tug guys have the front end of the tug come off the ground while pushing into the hangar?

It is an uphill type of challenge combined with the plane is really heavy with fuel in it....

my hitch ball is mounted on the frame in front of the engine...

The tractor store sells some front wheel weights for snow plowing?

My build it yourself skills, never actually existed.  Not like age has made them go away.

looking forward to your thoughts,

-a-

Do you lawnmower tug guys have the front end of the tug come off the ground while pushing into the hangar?
It is an uphill type of challenge combined with the plane is really heavy with fuel in it....
my hitch ball is mounted on the frame in front of the engine...
The tractor store sells some front wheel weights for snow plowing?
My build it yourself skills, never actually existed.  Not like age has made them go away.
looking forward to your thoughts,
-a-

I don't have any issues moving my F. Wonder if the Ovation creates a different issue.

Does the craftsman's seat slide forwards any?
mine is like the Hemi under glass.  All the weight is on the rear axle and it is easy to pop a 1/4 mile wheelie...
it also lost the cowling when it got its oversized engine installed.  Hmmmmmm...
Best regards,
-a-

The Craftsman seat doesn't move. What are you using for a tow bar? Maybe something longer?