How much is a hangar in your town?

nels

13 minutes ago, Bennett said:

One of my hangar neighbors spent $6000 for a beautiful white expiry painted floor. He told me the prep work was intensive, and expensive. KSQL is barely above sea level - the hangars and runways being protected by an earthen beam. I was told that while there is no obvious seepage up into the hangar floors, any crack has the potential for moisture. The tiles block any moisture, and dampness does not harm them. Beyond that, tiles gave me the option of multiple colors, and I could lay them as though they were a runway of sorts for the main wheels. The perimeter edging was done in red as a warning that a difference in height is in existence. The costs were reasonable, in my opinion - under $2000, and I could lay them myself with a friend in a day. The tiles do not require notification to the county landlord, or their permission, since the tiles are "portable", and can be removed without any harm to the hangar floor itself. Finally, if I were to move to another hangar, I could actually disassemble the floor tile setup, and set them up again in a new location. Certainly a bit of a pain to do so, but the snap in construction technique snaps out with a bit of persuasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennett, I suppose you use jacks in your hangar, the concentrated weight at the jack legs does not damage the flooring?

Bennett, I suppose you use jacks in your hangar, the concentrated weight at the jack legs does not damage the flooring?

The tiles are designed for automotive garages (commercial and personal) and at least mine have a web like understructure. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used aluminum plates as place markers for the Mooney's wheels. I suppose that similar plates could be used under jacks, but I doubt if they would needed. If you want to pursue this idea, you could contact any of the tile sellers for their compression and point loading specifications. There are plenty of sellers that can be found on the web.

• Like 1

The tiles are designed for automotive garages (commercial and personal) and at least mine have a web like understructure. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used aluminum plates as place markers for the Mooney's wheels. I suppose that similar plates could be used under jacks, but I doubt if they would needed. If you want to pursue this idea, you could contact any of the tile sellers for their compression and point loading specifications. There are plenty of sellers that can be found on the web.

Bob - I have this flooring in my garage. I bought mine from Costco when they go on sale for $99.99 per box. Mine have been installed for 12 years and are bullet proof. You can jack on them, water doesn't come up through it but can drain down under it. Also, when you are working on the floor in the winter, it is a lot better than laying on cold concrete..

http://www.costco.com/MotoFloor-Modular-Garage-Flooring-Tiles.product.100009181.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Bravoman said:

I have a hangar  both at KRYYand KPDK. My home is between the two, about a 20 minute drive to each airport. Years ago, when I was looking for a hangar I looked at  KPUJ and KVPC.   One of the biggest things that I factored into the cost equation was that even though the other airports were far  cheaper, it would take at least double the time to get there from my home. IMO,  One of the big reasons to fly privately, aside from the pure joy of flying,  is convenience and time-saving. At the end of the day, I could not reconcile having to drive an hour to get to the plane.

I totally get that, but there's more to the equation.  My drive to KVPC is a quiet one, and only about 15 minutes longer with little or no traffic.  I have my own personal hangar there, and I'm not shoved into the big one, requiring assistance to come and go.  The convenience for me of being able to have a private space far exceeds the extra 15 minutes driving.  The added bonus of knowing other owners, and quieter airport, were probably more convincing than the cost savings.  I spend my work days at a busy airport.  I like spending my off days at a peaceful one...

• Like 1

I pay $150/mo for an unheated hangar spot at Pittsfield Maine, 2B7. I also get electricity for free. The FBO there is Curtis Air and has excellent all-around mechanics who also back me up on the stuff I tackle myself. Although they are not a MSC I am satisfied that they did their homework in setting up my annual. For instance they rented the equipment for setting tensions etc. on my J-bar gear and I've had no problem with it's operation.

I make them aware of things I find out on this site and I think we've got a pretty good symbiotic relationship. Very satisfied with them.

I totally get that, but there's more to the equation.  My drive to KVPC is a quiet one, and only about 15 minutes longer with little or no traffic.  I have my own personal hangar there, and I'm not shoved into the big one, requiring assistance to come and go.  The convenience for me of being able to have a private space far exceeds the extra 15 minutes driving.  The added bonus of knowing other owners, and quieter airport, were probably more convincing than the cost savings.  I spend my work days at a busy airport.  I like spending my off days at a peaceful one...

When KILG started jacking their hangar rates I moved from an airport that was 15 to 20 minutes away to S37 which was a good 55 minutes to hour away from my home. For the two years I was there, I noticed a big drop-off in my hours flown. No more quick hops for a meal, no summer evening flights and certainly no driving over to the airport to putt around for the afternoon.

Since moving over to my current airport, I find it is a lot easier to make an excuse to run over to the airport that is 10 minutes away. I do agree that small airports have a lot going for them in the way of being personal. When I was based at Wilmington, everything was pretty impersonal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DMJones said:

I would have done same thing if I were you. You much closer to cartersville than me and I don't think I'd want to be in a group hangar either.

I've always found the economics of a hangar interesting and somewhat bewildering considering what I see at my airport. I keep my lowly C in a $300 hangar, yet I see Cirrus and other very expensive singles that are only a few years old and worth many times what my C is worth parked on the ramp in their tie down spots. Why would you keep a $ .5M aircraft on the ramp?? I see them sit there day after day, rain or shine, and it doesn't compute.

more money than brains!

Edited by DrBill
add quote

On 12/29/2016 at 1:14 AM, Zwaustin said:

360 per month for a 231 in San Marcos, TX

My 252 is in the same facility, and often sharing the same hangar for $10 less a month ;-)  It's shared, either two or three to a hangar but full service pull out, window washing, fuel from the truck, nice FBO. Having said all that, I'd rather have my own T-hangar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrBill said:

I've always found the economics of a hangar interesting and somewhat bewildering considering what I see at my airport. I keep my lowly C in a $300 hangar, yet I see Cirrus and other very expensive singles that are only a few years old and worth many times what my C is worth parked on the ramp in their tie down spots. Why would you keep a $ .5M aircraft on the ramp?? I see them sit there day after day, rain or shine, and it doesn't compute.

more money than brains!

I've been outside for nearly 20 years with a Bruce's cover with no ill effects. Saving $400/month difference. Buys a lot of paint but ive not needed it. Like DrBill says some have more money than brains so a hanger makes sense for them but for most does not. 

-Robert

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

My 252 is in the same facility, and often sharing the same hangar for $10 less a month ;-)  It's shared, either two or three to a hangar but full service pull out, window washing, fuel from the truck, nice FBO. Having said all that, I'd rather have my own T-hangar.

I'd rather have a heated corporate spot. 

On December 31, 2016 at 9:24 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I've been outside for nearly 20 years with a Bruce's cover with no ill effects. Saving $400/month difference. Buys a lot of paint but ive not needed it. Like DrBill says some have more money than brains so a hanger makes sense for them but for most does not. 

-Robert

I'm in the same position, thought wise, as Robert. The real reasons I can see having a hangar is the ability to do some work on the plane without worrying about rain or pulling the cowling and then needing to leave for the night. The cabin cover I believe will keep all the moisture out so the outside storage only takes its toll on paint but that alone is not worth $2 or $3 or $4 hundred a month. The one thing that really bothers me about being outside is hail. Every time I see a little hail I get concerned but so far no problem.

This discussion has answered my question; it appears about 70% of us are uncomfortable with hangar rent numbers and either tie down or bite the bullet. It looks like cost boils down to our location or supply and demand. I did look around for a hangar in the middle of the recession when there were tons available but it seems like the owners would still rather leave them empty than lower the fee, that bothered me. 

On 12/27/2016 at 6:40 PM, TheTurtle said:

digging out my spreadsheet...

KSNA $600 month.  but impossible to get.  waiting list is 10 years or something.  I got lucky and met a guy that has had a hangar forever but hasnt owned his own plane in years.  He's allowed to fly my plane (never has) and I pay half the rent.  So my hangar is $300/month.  I needed a hangar for all my tools as I live in a condo and sold my business and have no warehouse space anymore.

Long beach must all be private because they were $1000 a month or something when I looked. 

fullerton, none available.

I'm hangared in Long Beach and I pay $800/mo for a shared hangar. I looked into SNA as that's closer to me, and the cheapest I could find there was $1,100-$1,400 for a shared hangar with a waiting list AND a minimum of one YEAR's worth of rent as a deposit!! You are EXTREMELY lucky to get a $300/month deal in SNA wow!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JohnB said:

I'm hangared in Long Beach and I pay $800/mo for a shared hangar. I looked into SNA as that's closer to me, and the cheapest I could find there was $1,100-$1,400 for a shared hangar with a waiting list AND a minimum of one YEAR's worth of rent as a deposit!! You are EXTREMELY lucky to get a $300/month deal in SNA wow!!

oh I know how lucky I am.  Pretty much up there with the powerball lottery !! 

• Like 1

In lovely Trenton, NJ, T hangars are about $600 per month with an annual escalator built into the lease.  That gets you two light bulbs and a pair of 110v outlets.  If you prefer to park outside, that'll be $145 per month.  Oh, and fuel, that's $6.01 per gallon self serve.

KJLN  Joplin Missouri. Plenty of runways and instrument approaches, 100LL under 4 dollars. Only 2 flights a day from the airlines,  corporate and training is also limited so no waiting, tower personal are fantastic. 

Hanger 165 per month including lights, a 15 amp outlet, sliding doors and just enough room for the M20F and my tools. Best part is I live 1.5 miles away from hanger

• Like 1

Although I know this has been discussed previously, I don't think there is any doubt that a hangar, particularly a nice dry one,  is beneficial to preservation of an aircraft in far many more ways than the paint job. The elements and constant moisture are hard on everything, including avionics and the internal components of the aircraft. Even in coastal Florida a hangared aircraft will do far better than one kept just outside that hangar. 

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The most corroded plane I ever owned was a Cherokee 180 that spent its first 40 years tied down in the LA basin.  20 years outside in the elements will take its toll no matter where you live, unfortunately. 

My 76 hasn't had that issue but I"m more inland. I think this is more of a coastal issue. For the cost difference of a hanger vs outside in the 20 years I've owned 93V I could literally buy a second Mooney. With a Bruce's cover I've not had any issues I can associate with being outside. Not that I wouldn't mind not having to beg, borrow, steal a hanger for annual each year.

-Robert