How much is a hangar in your town?

nels

I own my box hanger in Central CA.  KMPI  42x36  $20,000.00   $64.00 a month ground lease, $250 a year property taxes.   Fuel $4.35   3200 ft runway, approaches are decent.  IFR is not practical, I can get in VFR easier than IFR.  IFR minimums are about 2200 above the runway.   This is not a busy airport, about 50 planes, 3 Mooney's though with 2 maintenance shops and a very professional flight school, run by a retired airline pilot.

Solar electricity/batteries.

Ron

The ability to pull up to your hangar, unload the car into the airplane, park the car inside is priceless, plus you can keep all your usual gear there as well (skis, fishing poles, hiking gear, doubles as an extra storage space when you're doing construction at home and need a covered materials staging area. It's well worth is. Plus sometime it's just nice to leave the wife at home, grab a beer or two on your way out, unfold a chair and just sit there and stare at your airplane, especially when it's stormy. My hangar looks towards miles of cornfield, some amazing storms I've seen from inside. Once I even finished the whole 6 pack and just slept there with the door open;-) Woke up with a mouse on my face.

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

I pay $135.00 per month for my newer private T-Hangar with electricity and a polished concrete floor at KEGT.  The doors are bi-folding and operate with one hand.  The airport has a very nice brick airport building and pilots lounge, free wifi, an aircraft repair facility on the field, fuel is only $3.65 per gallon.  The runway is 5000' x 100'.  The airport is 20 minutes from my house and only 20 minutes from Wichita.   I was on a waiting list for three years before I got my hangar there. 

IMG_7253.jpg

Dang!  I'm moving to Kansas!

• Like 1

Open Ts (like described above, with sliding doors) at my airport are $300/mth. The new hangars range from $400 to $610/mth. The $400/mth ones are a community hangar, the $610 units have a standard T configuration with a bump out with a single garage door in addition to the electric bi-fold doors.

aa47c7a412572ca24cacd0de386a6a0e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Open Ts (like described above, with sliding doors) at my airport are $300/mth. The new hangars range from $400 to $610/mth. The $400/mth ones are a community hangar, the $610 units have a standard T configuration with a bump out with a single garage door in addition to the electric bi-fold doors.

aa47c7a412572ca24cacd0de386a6a0e.jpg
Good lighting. (I had only a single fixture over the plane though the FBO added a workbench fixture in the back when I moved in. I had to pay the FBO's electrician to install a 230V outlet for a 5 HP compressor.)

On 12/28/2016 at 8:37 AM, DMJones said:

Before buying my 231, I was set on KRYY, $500/mo in the big hangar.  Expensive fuel, towered airport, 15 minutes from the house.  Stumbled on KPUJ, cheap fuel, mostly deserted airport, brand new facilities, space in the big hangar for $300/mo, 35 minutes from the house.  The day before I was set to sign the lease, friend of a friend called to tell me he would sublet his second hangar at KVPC, $250/mo private t-hangar with electric.  Quiet airport, but lots of friends there with tools!  

IMHO, the hangar is worth the cost.  Besides keeping the plane inside, it's great to have a place to store your stuff, so you don't have to lug everything back and forth from the house.  And I've gotten to know the locals, and there's a pleasant social side as well.

I have a hangar  both at KRYYand KPDK. My home is between the two, about a 20 minute drive to each airport. Years ago, when I was looking for a hangar I looked at  KPUJ and KVPC.   One of the biggest things that I factored into the cost equation was that even though the other airports were far  cheaper, it would take at least double the time to get there from my home. IMO,  One of the big reasons to fly privately, aside from the pure joy of flying,  is convenience and time-saving. At the end of the day, I could not reconcile having to drive an hour to get to the plane.

• Like 2

$238.50 about 45 min outside Pittsburgh (FWQ). Electric is separate.  Water is available.  Non towered.  4500 ft plus excellent condition runway.  Solid management.  A lot of helo traffic. Some wannabe dogfighting Yahoos constantly doing the overhead for no good reason, making the field uncontrollable.

T on the end of a row with an roughed in office.  More storage than I know what to do with.  Great hangar neighbor.

My wife was convinced that I didn't want to do our upcoming move next summer because of the Hangar.  She's partially correct :-) 

Very tight T hanger (like 6-8 inches on either side-always a pucker when going in or out!), with just enough room to walk around my mistress. Waited almost a year to move from no electric to one with electric and lights. Most days outside of summer it looks like it rains inside the hanger and the plane gets rewashed with some bits of ceiling rust or chips and dirt. When it rains there's 3 inches of water in the aft portion of the hanger so there's a platform to walk on. $220/mo at a small quiet 2600 ft lit runway, just resealed and tucked just under the Sacramento Intl Charlie airspace.  Just 10 miles away hangers are $400 or more...  I'll settle for a little inconvenience from time to time..keeps me humble and appreciating why I fly. Also, the airport owner and his staff are the best. A great small town airport like "back home".

20160930_184229.jpg

• Like 1

I'm in SE Minnesota and rent 2 T-hangers.  One has a 40ft electric bi-fold door, asphalt floor, no insulation or heat, 20amp 120VAC included: $105/month.  The other is similar but is an end T with a 48ft door with the extra space in the back corner: $160/month.  The best part, it's 3mins door to door from my house. 

KLSE is 1/2 hour from me and has lots of empty hangers.  I checked with them about 6months ago and they were offering the gravel floor, manual bi-fold door T's for something like $65/month with 50% discount on a first year lease.  The nicer concrete floor T's with electric bi-fold are only $90 with the same first year discount.  My airport has 32 T-hangers total, with only only 9 active airplane and at least 7 empty hangers.  For some reason GA is dead in this part of the country.     

Edited by DanM20C

It looks amazing Bennet.  What did you use on the floor if you dont mind me asking?  

The flooring is plastic, about 3/8th of an inch thick. Each tile is about 12" x 12", and they are made by several manufacturers, and distributed by even more folk and retailers. They come in various surface finishes and patterns. Mine are like the steel tool boxes you see on pick-up trucks. The "raised coin" is also popular. The tiles "snap" together (with a rubber mallet), and they come in rights and lefts. I chose to add an edging to make a none "stub your toe" transition between the tiled floor and the concrete hangar floor. While they were designed for garages, I know that quite a few hangars use this system. The nice thing is that they clean so easily. After a year and a half, I did a "Pinesol" wash that made them look brand new. You can replace tiles even after they are fully laid down. I stupidly ruined (mechanically-not a normal problem) a couple of tiles, and with the help of a friend, was able to raise the section enough to take out the old tiles, and snap in replacements. I once carpeted another hangar, but this is a far better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bennett said:

The flooring is plastic, about 3/8th of an inch thick. Each tile is about 12" x 12", and they are made by several manufacturers, and distributed by even more folk and retailers. They come in various surface finishes and patterns. Mine are like the steel tool boxes you see on pick-up trucks. The "raised coin" is also popular. The tiles "snap" together (with a rubber mallet), and they come in rights and lefts. I chose to add an edging to make a none "stub your toe" transition between the tiled floor and the concrete hangar floor. While they were designed for garages, I know that quite a few hangars use this system. The nice thing is that they clean so easily. After a year and a half, I did a "Pinesol" wash that made them look brand new. You can replace tiles even after they are fully laid down. I stupidly ruined (mechanically-not a normal problem) a couple of tiles, and with the help of a friend, was able to raise the section enough to take out the old tiles, and snap in replacements. I once carpeted another hangar, but this is a far better solution.

I look forward to seeing it in a few weeks, at which time I'll issue a PIREP on my findings.

I am paying $120/month with electricity. Only has asphalt in the middle section.  Looks like I will be renting another hangar. 30 min from work and 55 min from home. I can still take call for work from the airport.

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

6 hours ago, Bravoman said:

One of the biggest things that I factored into the cost equation was that even though the other airports were far  cheaper, it would take at least double the time to get there from my home. IMO,  One of the big reasons to fly privately, aside from the pure joy of flying,  is convenience and time-saving. At the end of the day, I could not reconcile having to drive an hour to get to the plane.

Bingo!!!

This is huge.  Being close to your hangar is so important.  I'm convinced that the utility of your plane is directly affected by distance from your home.  It's hard to realize a saving over drive time when you have to include an extensive drive to just to get to/from your plane.  Besides....who hasn't realized they forgot some vital item (like your airplane key) just as they drove up to the hangar!  :angry:

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, TargetDriver said:

Very tight T hanger (like 6-8 inches on either side-always a pucker when going in or out!), with just enough room to walk around my mistress. Waited almost a year to move from no electric to one with electric and lights. Most days outside of summer it looks like it rains inside the hanger and the plane gets rewashed with some bits of ceiling rust or chips and dirt. When it rains there's 3 inches of water in the aft portion of the hanger so there's a platform to walk on. $220/mo at a small quiet 2600 ft lit runway, just resealed and tucked just under the Sacramento Intl Charlie airspace.  Just 10 miles away hangers are $400 or more...  I'll settle for a little inconvenience from time to time..keeps me humble and appreciating why I fly. Also, the airport owner and his staff are the best. A great small town airport like "back home".

20160930_184229.jpg

Rio Linda?  I'm at Placerville with an 84 231.

• Like 1

I've always found the economics of a hangar interesting and somewhat bewildering considering what I see at my airport. I keep my lowly C in a $300 hangar, yet I see Cirrus and other very expensive singles that are only a few years old and worth many times what my C is worth parked on the ramp in their tie down spots. Why would you keep a $ .5M aircraft on the ramp?? I see them sit there day after day, rain or shine, and it doesn't compute.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

I've always found the economics of a hangar interesting and somewhat bewildering considering what I see at my airport. I keep my lowly C in a $300 hangar, yet I see Cirrus and other very expensive singles that are only a few years old and worth many times what my C is worth parked on the ramp in their tie down spots. Why would you keep a $ .5M aircraft on the ramp?? I see them sit there day after day, rain or shine, and it doesn't compute.

I suppose some of the folks who can afford them can also buy a new one every few years.  They probably don't have hangar elves to house either.  I figure the faster depreciation is my only hope of owning one of see aircraft in the future.

Maybe there is no hangars available?

4 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Bingo!!!

This is huge.  Being close to your hangar is so important.  I'm convinced that the utility of your plane is directly affected by distance from your home.  It's hard to realize a saving over drive time when you have to include an extensive drive to just to get to/from your plane.  Besides....who hasn't realized they forgot some vital item (like your airplane key) just as they drove up to the hangar!  :angry:

I agree..I often go to the airport (5 miles from home) more than once or twice a day. Many times I will go and fly after work just to relax. Yesterday was a great example, went and plugged the plane heater in on my way work at 8:30 am. Worked my day and headed back out at 4 and flew for an hour or so. Great release from a long day. I'm sure if I had to drive a great distance I would probably just head home and fly the weekends.

-Tom

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bennett said:

I'm sure you looked at paint vs. the tiles.  I'm intrigued by the tiles.  Can you give us a quick pros and cons of the tile vs paint?

• Like 1

I'm sure you looked at paint vs. the tiles.  I'm intrigued by the tiles.  Can you give us a quick pros and cons of the tile vs paint?

One of my hangar neighbors spent $6000 for a beautiful white expoxy painted floor. He told me the prep work was intensive, and expensive. KSQL is barely above sea level - the hangars and runways being protected by an earthen beam. I was told that while there is no obvious seepage up into the hangar floors, any crack has the potential for moisture. The tiles block any moisture, and dampness does not harm them. Beyond that, tiles gave me the option of multiple colors, and I could lay them as though they were a runway of sorts for the main wheels. The perimeter edging was done in red as a warning that a difference in height is in existence. The costs were reasonable, in my opinion - under $2000, and I could lay them myself with a friend in a day. The tiles do not require notification to the county landlord, or their permission, since the tiles are "portable", and can be removed without any harm to the hangar floor itself. Finally, if I were to move to another hangar, I could actually disassemble the floor tile setup, and set them up again in a new location. Certainly a bit of a pain to do so, but the snap in construction technique snaps out with a bit of persuasion.

• Like 4