How much is a hangar in your town?

nels

Just now, PaulM said:

Northern NJ (1N7)  $475 for 40' T hangar + power .(newer ones)    Waited 1 month, hangars are moved from storage use to plane use when a plane needs them. The older T-hangars are less.   Self serve pump $4.40.. 

That's a great policy! Sounds like more places should do that, too.

I now know how lucky I am. I pay $110/mo for a better than average T-hanger with electricity and snow removal included. Keep in mind I'm in Western Iowa and things are priced as such. We have a really good manager who will do just about anything you ask including fueling up your plane, although I don't abuse that one. Self serve is $4.80 but if the manager is there it's full service. Guess I won't complain if the rent goes up a little next month!

Here at KTYS, there are shade hangars for $190/mo. Just basically a metal roof over asphalt.   T hangars are in the $450/mo range.  Community heated hangars are around $275/mo.   Long lists for anything though.   Smaller uncontrolled rural airports are much less.  

I think I have the ultimate hanger deal.  Very nice insulated hanger with remote control bi-fold doors front and back, drive in, drive out.  The hanger has a lounge area with full bath and shower and kitchen area.  It is located on a 3600' grass strip half way between my office and my house about 10 min from each.  I made a deal with the owner to swap out use of the plane for the hanger.  He has flown with me a couple of times and with an instructor to get checked out in the plane but has not used the plane in a year and a half although he has lots of credit built up.

• Like 2

$230/month at KPTD - which is a rural small town airport, electricity included, and these are new hangars, with bifold doors, and 45' door opening so easy in and out for a Mooney.  And its a well kept well paved runway, and fuel on the field and best of all its 1.5 mi from my house.

about $250 for a small tee

we're in a not private tee, think of a row of tee hangars but without walls inside. It sucks but we were lucky to get it and it beats the alternative. Note the snow IN the hangar. Trailer is the neighbor, he has a RV under construction there, but mostly there's a lot of junk in other people's spots.

IMG_20161217_120916433_HDR.jpg

Edited by peevee

Ok, PLEASE dont let my other half ever meet you, or you and he will be sepnding hours on talking about organisation and tidiness.   Your hangar is amazing, if it was mine those boxes would not look anything like that, well till Andrew 2 came along and lined them all up straight etc.  

Talking of taxes, if you look at th savings you make by not having to have a storage facility for "house stuff" then it probably works out about the same, i would have thought, but it does sound steep even by UK prices!

You are right about not having to pay for a separate storage facility. About half the boxes are filled with aviation stuff, and the other half is for business records. Before I set up the hangar this way I was paying about $750 per month for my business records storage in an off premises storage facility. I also keep an extra set of tools, drill press, workbench, and many sets of nuts, bolts, screws,etc in the hangar. A desk, computer, printer, and more (refrigerator, coffee maker) lets me use the hangar as a remote office before and after flights, or when I am in the vicinity of the hangar. I also set up six cabinets to hold aviation stuff, and changes of clothes, and all sorts of backpacks and emergency gear. So for me the high costs are mitigated by function and multi purposes for the hangar. This hangar is about 15 minutes from my office or home by different routes. Over the decades I have had a number of hangars at San Carlos, Rio Vista and South County Airport, and this one is the best yet.

A friend and I laid the floor in one day. Works out well, and the aluminum plates are not there to protect the floor, which easily can hold the weight of the Mooney, but are for positioning. When the wheels are all on the plates, I can walk around without any clearance problem.

ceef75f3d7176abbe3c40038fb8c299e.jpg

• Like 1

I am fortunate to live 5 minutes away from KPLR and pay $260/month for a T-hangar with sliding doors and an attached workshop area with running water. Lots of storage and extra space, so I'll probably move the middle-of-restoration MGB out there in January. All of my tools have been slowly migrating out there, so that seems to be the optimal solution. But the best thing about my hangar, according to my wife, is it is next door to the bathroom.

• Like 1

I pay $310 in Tucson but that's for a larger T hangar, 45'. The smaller ones, 40' are $290 so for a few $$$ more per month I like having the larger hangar with plenty of room on either side and no excuse for hangar rash - EVER !

Okay, I probably get the CB award for hangers, Old T-hanger with sliders, but on the end close to the ramp, and have 220V outlet.  $70 per month, but i get a 10% discount for paying for the year in advance.  Sure it leaks a little, and i have to blow the dust and grass clippings out once a month, but the doors are a good leg work out.  Even got ground crew to knock down the snow drifts a little lower for the Mooney.

Not by choice, but the nice hangers do not have any turnover.  Supposed to be getting new ones this year, but I'm not complaining.  Closer timewise than driving to Lincoln airport and much cheaper.  Best of all, great service from the FBO.

• Like 2

OCF, Ocala FL, $240 plus tax. Steel T hangar with power, inside lighting on timer and water spigot outside. Tower, ILS, Several Rnav approaches N-S and E-W runways, restaurant, maintenance, radio shop, self serve fuel or FBO delivered (Sheltair). Christmas buffet for hangar tenants. Free Cookies, coffee and bottled water year round. Airport manager that makes himself available and promotes G.A. I've been told there is a waiting list. Best of all, great neighbors!

• Like 1

With all these contributions, my take-away is that hangar costs are mostly on geographic area, demand, and what they can get away with.

What most of us have really learned is how we wish we had it as nice as some of us, and how glad we are we are not in the shoes of some others.

• Like 3

I have been shopping in the Philly area (anywhere within an hour drive) 

KDYL has no hangars available for near future there is a waiting, never got a price.

The airports in southern jersey seemed to be ~75 for a grass tie down and ~85 for an asphalt tie down. No hangers currently available last I called. 

KPNE was 200 for a tie down and ~400 for a T hanger there were some free ones. What killed me about this situation was how many free tie downs there were and that they were still charging 200$/month for one.

Dave

I pay $135.00 per month for my newer private T-Hangar with electricity and a polished concrete floor at KEGT.  The doors are bi-folding and operate with one hand.  The airport has a very nice brick airport building and pilots lounge, free wifi, an aircraft repair facility on the field, fuel is only $3.65 per gallon.  The runway is 5000' x 100'.  The airport is 20 minutes from my house and only 20 minutes from Wichita.   I was on a waiting list for three years before I got my hangar there. 

IMG_7253.jpg

Edited by Whiskey Charlie
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

With all these contributions, my take-away is that hangar costs are mostly on geographic area, demand, and what they can get away with.

What most of us have really learned is how we wish we had it as nice as some of us, and how glad we are we are not in the shoes of some others.

Don, that's about exactly what I was thinking. I thought it would be nice to know what people are paying around the country. I could find a inexpensive hangar but it would be an hours drive instead of my present fifteen minutes. Buying a hangar is not a  bad idea either.