How much is a hangar in your town?

nels

44 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

$400/mo for a T-hanger, electricity and heavy sliding doors. Untowered, friendly field. 5 miles away at Chino (Towered) they are $500 if you can get them. Go into Orange county and it goes up a lot more, and you have to deal with the marine layer.

I'm lucky I live just 20 minutes from KAJO, unless it's rush hour and then I'm 90 minutes away... Oh, and I think I must have the best wife ever, she wanted the plane, and insisted that it live inside a hangar. :)

You've got to be a newlywed!!

I've previously mentioned the high costs of hangars in the Bay Area. I pay $741 a month (plus county property tax that works out to be about $100 per month. (This doesn't include the annual Personal Property tax that is about 1% of the aircraft's value). On the other hand I have a relatively new hangar at a towered airport about 7 miles south of SFO. AV gas is about $4.00 per gallon, delivered by truck.
94e924f09314bd5822bd8a8042c4cc76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

$426 a month at KRNO and that includes electricity.  No property taxes associated with the hangar rental.  Lot's of services in the Class C and fuel is cheaper as a tenant ($1.60 off the advertised price). 

Already dreading the move to VA this coming summer and their wonderful 2% tax that is waiting for me even though I won't be a VA resident... :angry:

8628339_orig.jpg

Brian

Edited by flight2000

26 minutes ago, Bennett said:

I've previously mentioned the high costs of hangars in the Bay Area. I pay $741 a month (plus county property tax that works out to be about $100 per month. (This doesn't include the annual Personal Property tax that is about 1% of the aircraft's value). On the other hand I have a relatively new hangar at a towered airport about 7 miles south of SFO. AV gas is about $4.00 per gallon, delivered by truck.

That's a nice hangar.... you could fit a Tbone in there: it's huge (and clean)!

i pay 175 a month in eastern Oregon.  Power, no heat, fuel discount of 60 cents a gallon... because all fuel is by truck (no pump), so fuel works out to be about the same as other airports nearby.  The FBO puts my plane away and pulls it out for me if I ask... (and yes, they do know how to tow a mooney... 4 years and no bent/dented trusses).

28 minutes ago, Bennett said:

Very nice. I would kill for the flooring alone. I have priced it, and can't bring the CB in me to spring for it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nels said:

You've got to be a newlywed!!

Nope, or maybe...depending on your definition of a newlywed. We've been married almost 7 years, but it's the second marriage for both of us. It's all a matter of perspective. Without getting into too many details I was in a terrible 15 year marriage and she was in a terrible 17 year marriage previously. Being married to a normal, stable person has a way of making the little things so much smaller and we both often say, "So this is what a marriage really is? I love it!"

We're the modern day Brady Bunch, plus one. Between us we have 7 kids, three of which are married, three grandkids, and two more grandkids on the way. Thankfully we only have a couple left at home. :)

• Like 5

$400 a month. It has power, no heat. Big rolling doors and it's the larger sized T-hangar. Painted floors and plenty of room for storage. No yearly tax. And airport with a VOR/GPS which comes in handy when the marine layer rolls in. Friendly airport bums. Fully gated...Need a gate card to get into the airport during night hours. Nice tasty restaurant, and aircraft spruce is literally around the corner... that's the expensive part... wife loves the hangar and the plane THANK GOD! It has a great paint shop, good A/P's and a lot of help around. And we just got a new Mooneyspace member there besides me (Skates97)! So I'd say it's worth the money... not to mention the cheapest hangar in SoCal. KAJO, Corona ,CA

Edited by MHemperly
  • Like 1

digging out my spreadsheet...

KSNA $600 month.  but impossible to get.  waiting list is 10 years or something.  I got lucky and met a guy that has had a hangar forever but hasnt owned his own plane in years.  He's allowed to fly my plane (never has) and I pay half the rent.  So my hangar is $300/month.  I needed a hangar for all my tools as I live in a condo and sold my business and have no warehouse space anymore.

If I hadnt stumbled on this awesome deal I was looking at everything within 200 miles.

corona $400ish.  power, no water.  bunch of yahoos in the pattern, untowered. floods every 5 years.  I would have gone here since its the closetest drive from my house that had units available. other than SNA which is 15 minutes away from me.

chino $250 no water, no power.  Towered, cheap gas, hot gas pump girls.  No availability right now on Ts.  With power they go up to $5-600 but none available.

Long beach must all be private because they were $1000 a month or something when I looked. 

fullerton, none available.

mohave spaceport $300.  none available

El monte $695 power no water

Bracket $680

camarillo $450ish I think they are all private and there were a couple available.  but its way out in ... camarillo. nice for lunch to fly in, wouldnt ever want to drive from OC out there.

Edited by TheTurtle

11 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

KSNA $600 month.  but impossible to get.  waiting list is 10 years or something.  I got lucky and met a guy that has had a hangar forever but hasnt owned his own plane in years.  He's allowed to fly my plane (never has) and I pay half the rent.  So my hangar is $300/month.  I needed a hangar for all my tools as I live in a condo and sold my business and have no warehouse space anymore.

This is the kind of crap that typically gets me upset (and that's pretty hard to do for the most part...).  The airports need to take better control of this and make hangars available for those that actually HAVE planes. 

It's cool that you found him and it's worked out in your case, but folks that are new to the area or are patiently waiting get punished by homesteaders that don't have aircraft.  WTH....

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

Just now, flight2000 said:

This is the kind of crap that typically gets me upset (and that's pretty hard to do for the most part...).  The airports need to take better control of this and make hangars available for those that actually HAVE planes. 

It's cool that you found him and it's worked out in your case, but folks that are new to the area or are patiently waiting get punished by homesteaders that don't have aircraft.  WTH....

Cheers,

Brian

I understand the anger lol.  But its hasnt ever sat empty.  Hes had a friends plane in there.  I got lucky and the friend sold his Cub and has been hemming and hawing about buying something else so it was empty about a month when my CFI put us in touch.  

Of all those airports you listed, I'd bet a fair number have hangars that have stuff other than aviation related items stored in them.  I flew into Cable a few months ago to drop of the Mooney to the new owner and the airport looked more like an RV storage lot and junk yard than an airport.  It was really sad....

Brian

2 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

Of all those airports you listed, I'd bet a fair number have hangars that have stuff other than aviation related items stored in them.  I flew into Cable a few months ago to drop of the Mooney to the new owner and the airport looked more like an RV storage lot and junk yard than an airport.  It was really sad....

Brian

oh definitely.  as well as forever homebuilt projects.  Theres more than one guy been caught living in hangars at chino and whiteman.

Yea and cable has none available...  i looked there as well.

Edited by TheTurtle

I pay $75 a month I own the hangar and lease the land.  Grass strip 3800' 2 minutes flying from KMSY, 45 min from the house.  I have all the approaches (12 or so) from KMSY available to me and I can call the tower for a release when necessary.  The closer airport wanted $175 to tie down outside and KNEW was $75 for tie down.  I think they are somewhere around $300 for group hangar and I'm not sure what the T hangars are going for.

10 minutes ago, gsengle said:

You'd think with rents like those more would get built

Except getting anything permitted in The People's Republic of California is near impossible... Chino has some in the planning stages but who knows how far out they really are. 

$250 at Felts in Spokane, shared with one other plane and 3-5 cars.  Electricity, but no heat. Big, finicky sliding doors.  Feeling lucky though as I only found this one hangar while looking at three close airports and the owner is awesome as well as the other guys around the airport.  Most hangars seem to have actual planes in them too!

Edited by Ragsf15e

3 hours ago, flight2000 said:

$426 a month at KRNO and that includes electricity.  No property taxes associated with the hangar rental.  Lot's of services in the Class C and fuel is cheaper as a tenant ($1.60 off the advertised price). 

Already dreading the move to VA this coming summer and their wonderful 2% tax that is waiting for me even though I won't be a VA resident... :angry:

8628339_orig.jpg

Brian

Hey get that Bonanza out the way so we can see where the Mooney goes

• Like 1

Only airplane stuff in my hangar.

I own condo hangar, $150 month for ground rent, I have gas heat, electric, towered 3,runways. Hanger is worth between, $30,000 -$50,000 depending on how much will spend.

Rentals are around $500'month.

Before buying my 231, I was set on KRYY, $500/mo in the big hangar.  Expensive fuel, towered airport, 15 minutes from the house.  Stumbled on KPUJ, cheap fuel, mostly deserted airport, brand new facilities, space in the big hangar for $300/mo, 35 minutes from the house.  The day before I was set to sign the lease, friend of a friend called to tell me he would sublet his second hangar at KVPC, $250/mo private t-hangar with electric.  Quiet airport, but lots of friends there with tools!  

IMHO, the hangar is worth the cost.  Besides keeping the plane inside, it's great to have a place to store your stuff, so you don't have to lug everything back and forth from the house.  And I've gotten to know the locals, and there's a pleasant social side as well.

• Like 1