How much is a hangar in your town?

nels

Hangar rent, if one was available, ranges from $250 to $400 per month at KLUK here in Cincinnati. I have a hard time justifying my plane to my wife when she sees the insurance bill, the fuel bill and the annual inspection cost much less a monthly hangar rent. In another thread someone mentioned they could get their plane painted every eight years with the savings difference tie down to hangared. I pay $50 per month to tie the plane down right now. The biggest advantage I see with a hangar is the ability to work on your plane when ever you want rain or shine but an extra $3000 to $4000 per year is just over the top. I canapé cover does a great job of keeping water out of the airframe.

We spent the first year outside and where we're located it's harder on the plane in summer than winter. I can't tell you how much nicer to have it indoors lots more advantages than just the weather. Not to mention our airport is not secured at all so theft and vandalism is also a threat. Definitely worth the rent. There is no way to justify any of the costs associated with owning an airplane. We do it out of passion and love of flight. 

• Like 3

$400/mo for a T-hanger, electricity and heavy sliding doors. Untowered, friendly field. 5 miles away at Chino (Towered) they are $500 if you can get them. Go into Orange county and it goes up a lot more, and you have to deal with the marine layer.

I'm lucky I live just 20 minutes from KAJO, unless it's rush hour and then I'm 90 minutes away... Oh, and I think I must have the best wife ever, she wanted the plane, and insisted that it live inside a hangar. :)

• Like 5

Dirty and rusty hangar, taxiways full of rocks, chunks of asphalt, no mechanic or other services on the field at all, restaurant closed, expensive fuel, everything is broken on the fuel pump. My overhauled propeller looked after one taxi to the runway exactly the same as before the overhaul. I can't wait until it snows as I regularly find 5 ft pile of snow mixed with dirt and rocks in front of my hangar door every time I need to fly out. 

How much would you pay? I pay $ 475/month.

• Like 1

I paid $100/mth for a spot in an unheated, wired 50x50 with electric bifold door in WV. Then across the taxiway into an old T-hangar with uneven floor, leaky roof and heavy sliding doors for $125 (uncontrolled field, no approaches, self serve fuel, good A&P who can do anything). Came to Alabama and got an almost-new T-hangar, cement floor, great lights for $235 (uncontrolled, GPS and VOR approaches, full serve fuel ~$1.50 cheaper than WV, an A&P who was unwilling to touch my plane). Now I'm the only flying plane in a community hangar mostly full of cars, for $200 (uncontrolled, no approaches, no fuel, no services).

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MooneyBob said:

Dirty and rusty hangar, taxiways full of rocks, chunks of asphalt, no mechanic or other services on the field at all, restaurant closed, expensive fuel, everything is broken on the fuel pump. My overhauled propeller looked after one taxi to the runway exactly the same as before the overhaul. I can't wait until it snows as I regularly find 5 ft pile of snow mixed with dirt and rocks in front of my hangar door every time I need to fly out. 

How much would you pay? I pay $ 475/month.

I bet you just love writing that $475 check every month!!

$155/month for a nice box hangar, wl electricity included.Will sublet until I have a Mooney to put back in it! ;D

Airport and airport bums are both great. 6000', ILS, LPV, etc, Gorgeous town included, no extra cost. 100LL $4.26

• Like 2

$250 per month at RBD. Great airport; 20-30 minutes from home. Two runways (4?); Instrument approaches; Fuel (was self serve, but the City just bought the self serve pump, don't know what that is going to do); good avionics shop; most other services; hangar is passable; asphalt floor; electricity supplied; less than an hour from Maxwell; good restaurant; I closed in the semi-open T hangar; I installed extra lighting and electric outlets; bench and storage racks. I would have to hire a moving van to leave.

• Like 1

This thread is depressing me.  I see a trend here in the NE.  Our airport starts at $450 for the old hangars and from there you can pay $500-$600 or more. (Oh....and there is a waiting list that never seems to move). I am paying slightly less due to sharing a T (owner has his plane on a lift).  It is painfully expensive but still worth it to me.  Hope to buy a T in the near future, won't be cheaper, but it will be mine until the lease runs out. This plus our taxes reminds me why I keep moving out of this state.

Typical "Tee" hangars are $350 per month, some 40X40 run $400.  I co-own a 40X50 heated bay which we store 3 plane in.  It costs more but I will have something to sell when I'm finished.

Clarence