Hangar vs Tie Down

Drumstick

I was originally told a hangar at my local field was coming available.  Now I'm told its 1 year.  I'm fairly rural so no other fields are really close.  I can now either wait 1 year to buy an airplane or I can tie down for 1 year.  Its a nice airplane with a nice cover.  The only time its sat out for the last 20 years is when its been on a cross country.   I was thinking about adding wing covers if I have to tie down for the year.

Thoughts?  

I would definitely not pass on an airplane if you have found a good one (they don't come often) and get busy getting into a hangar. Protect it as best you can in the meantime. We had to keep ours outside for about a year but we're in NoCal which is a big difference to the N east. Weather wise. If we had to go outside again I would look into having a custom cover made that covers a majority of the airplane if not entirely.

18 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

Buy the plane. See if u can put a deposit down on the hangar so maybe they'll know you're serious.

If you have a plane there they may find a way to get you in a hangar quicker. I was getting a little bit of a run around getting into a hangar but when I told him I had a plane that was going to be arriving the next day and "where can I tie down" he realized I actually had a plane and wasn't just looking for someplace to store my boat/car/crap... A few days later (along with my payment for 1st/last months rent) they had moved out a tenant that was just storing crap in the hangar and I had my plane inside the day before a two day rainstorm arrived.

• Like 2

Hangars are nice, for sure. But don't let the absence of one keep you from getting a plane. You can protect it pretty well with a good cover from Bruce's or similar. I wouldn't go with the wing covers personally, because I think they could have a tendency to trap moisture underneath them. That's a lot of flat space for water to get caught. But that's just me.

You do want to make sure you've got a good coat of Air Glare or similar paint protectant on it at least every six months, and then use Wash Wax All on it after every flight to remove the dirt from the exposed areas.  That only takes 10 minutes after each flight.

With those steps, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice the paint stays. I did that for five years here in Atlanta before I finally got a hangar and I always got compliments on the paint job.

Your only real enemy is hail. Can't help you there...just pray and keep your good luck charms handy!

Definitely don't pass up the opportunity to buy a good airplane just because you don't have a hangar yet. As others have said, definitely put a nice cover on it mainly over the cabin area (not sure I would bother with the wings). Wash/wax often while outside. While a hangar will maintain the condition of your paint job I could paint my airplane every 5 years with the money I would save if I kept it outside. HOWEVER, paint is not the only thing that degrades when outside. Water/moisture finds it way into unexpected places. Heat degrades avionics and breaks down interior plastics, leather, fabric. It's also harder to work on your plane without a hangar. All that being said, get you plane if you find a good deal, protected as best you can while outside, and get your name on the hangar waiting list.

Several of us can recommend Plane Cover, Jim Cancil, in nearby Salisbury MD for a custom cover. Jim's covers fit perfectly and can include glass protecting liners. Mine only gets used when out of town so it still looks like new after 5 years.

http://www.planecover.com/

• Like 2

If you keep outside, get wing covers and put some blocks of insulation foam under to keep off the wing surface so that hail won't hit metal.    A good cabin cover is key.  If not, atleast tape over the pilot window. Otherwise, water will go in there and run down the steel tube frame.    Also, be anal about your gas cap oring condition. 

• Like 1

i have a buddy with a twin cessna that leaves it outside.  He decided a paint job every 8 years is cheaper than a hangar and he doesnt touch his own plane.  I got a T hangar because I like tinkering and need a spot for all my tools, cleaning supplies etc etc.  Sucks trying to work on a plane in a tiedown spot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gsengle said:

Being out in the weather does damage to more than just paint...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But such are the perils of moving . . . Mine sat outside for six weeks before finding a hangar. I got lucky! At my WV airport, in the seven years I was there, exactly one hangar changed hands. But in the three years I've been gone, five have opened up. Timing . . . it's all timing.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hank said:

Hmmm . . . Hangars are great for protection from weather, storage, working and hanging out.

But having a plane tied down on the ramp beats the heck out of not having a plane at all . . .

20140430_125451.jpg

Maybe it's easier to deal with weather in southern states where snow is not an issue but the picture is quite different up north in winter. Actually, demoralizing, especially if you have to spend and hour or 2 digging yourself out of snow and preheating before you set foot in the plane. Just not worth the hassle IMHO.

My plane sat outside "in the south" while my hangar was being finished.  Every time there was a thunderstorm, I wondered if my plane was going to be destroyed by hail, or wind.  Having said that, there are planes in our community which have been tied down outside (slowly returning to bauxite) for 15+ years, which have suffered neither hail, nor wind damage.  Just depends on which side of the street you live on, I guess.

31 minutes ago, alex said:

Maybe it's easier to deal with weather in southern states where snow is not an issue but the picture is quite different up north in winter. Actually, demoralizing, especially if you have to spend and hour or 2 digging yourself out of snow and preheating before you set foot in the plane. Just not worth the hassle IMHO.

I've spent an hour or two shoveling snow from the hangar door to the taxiway when I was in WV. The most fun was when the hangar door iced up and froze to the pavement. That's not a problem for me any more.  B)

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I've spent an hour or two shoveling snow from the hangar door to the taxiway when I was in WV. The most fun was when the hangar door iced up and froze to the pavement. That's not a problem for me any more.  B)

Imagine an extra hour on top of that removing snow from the plane....NOT fun!     Hangar wins...

• Like 1

I suppose it also has a bit to do with what your leaving to the elements. Big difference between a 30 to 40k 20c compared to a 200k plus Ovaion or Acclaim. Even though worth much less fiscally my D/C is priceless to us so am very happy it's indoors.

its kind of weird at K1o2 there are no hangars on airport property all are on adjoining private property so FAA regs on What's in them aren't enforced and may not apply. There is going to be some security fences installed and the county is working with the private owners to make sure they are not cut off from the field.

3 hours ago, Hank said:

If you have to shovel snow now it really will not matter because they will have already closed all the roads and businesses in town. The last snow/ice a few years ago shut everything down for 3 days.  Any hint of ice down here and everything closes up. 

Yeah all about timing.  I got off the wait list for a hangar one week after I got hailed on.  

Good news is - I'm indoors now and the plane looks better than ever.   

You can go outside - even with a mooney.  I would do the following before you commit.   The places where Mooney's corrode are known knows  

1- pull the interior panels, soar cover panels,  and make sure SB-208B was done / is done during prebuy.  Even if 208 was done, pull interior to look again  

2- when interior panels are out give your potential mistress a good bath.  Look for drips / leaks.  Pay attention to wing root seals that are often overlooked.  

3- add some sort of corrosion protectant and don't skimp on looking for corrosion at every annual   

With A lot of preventive maintenance you will be okay outside for a few years.  Outdoors. It's like the mooney equivalent of smoking.   Won't off you this year but will certainly shorten your Mooney's lifespan  

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Some of you have had to shovel and move snow.  You are so lucky, in the UK the moment we have three flakes of snow everything stops, you wouldnt even get to the airport.  PMSL. 

Yep, that's how it is here! I love it. Plus the grocery stores sell out of milk and bread . . . And that's only on the chance of snow!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Yep sounds familiar. And THEN everyone moans it's the councils fault rather than accepting that if they had just changed their tyres to winter ones they would still be able to drive!  

Not here . . . Cain't nobody drive in snow when it comes once every several years, snow tires or not. The funny thing is watching the yahoos in 4-wheel-drive trucks who think they don't need to slow down for the snow because they are 4WD and have big knobby tires. They are frequently found sideways or backwards in ditches . . .