Engine, or Aircraft logbook?

Mooneymite

Well, what I thought was "obvious", may not be.  I replaced my exhaust system and was all set to put the entry into my aircraft logbook when a helpful neighbor opined that it belonged in the engine logbook.

To me, the exhaust system is peculiar to the air frame and if/when I replace the engine, the exhaust system will probably stay with the aircraft while the engine gets exchanged.

To my neighbor, it is part of the power-plant and needs to go into the engine logbook.

After consulting the high priest of all knowledge (Google), I found that there is some controversy and that it probably doesn't matter from a legal standpoint.

However, I want a correct answer, so I am asking Mooneyspace....which logbook?

Both of my I.A.s gave me the following way to determine which book:

Is it required for the engine to operate? If yes, engine, else airframe.

Since the engine doesn't need an exhaust system to operate, I would (and have) put it in the airframe book. Same for your air filter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruiser said:

The guidance and requirements for exhaust systems can be found in 14CFR Part 23. Subpart E - Powerplant, Section 23.1123 Exhaust system.

Log entries are not addressed.  If they are, I missed it.

It just outlines the exhaust system requirements.

If the exhaust system details are required to be in the engine log, I'm inclined to log the details in both engine and aircraft logs.  When I exchanged my engine for a factory reman, I was required to send in the engine log.  All exhaust system data would have disappeared..

While it is an airframe part supplied by Mooney one could argue for airframe log only.  My opinion is that the effort of changing it required working on the engine, so both logs would require an entry detailing the work.

Clarence

23 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Log entries are not addressed.  If they are, I missed it.

It just outlines the exhaust system requirements.

If the exhaust system details are required to be in the engine log, I'm inclined to log the details in both engine and aircraft logs.  When I exchanged my engine for a factory reman, I was required to send in the engine log.  All exhaust system data would have disappeared..

1 hour ago, Cruiser said:

The guidance and requirements for exhaust systems can be found in 14CFR Part 23. Subpart E - Powerplant, Section 23.1123 Exhaust system.

The point was the FAA considers the exhaust as part of the powerplant otherwise it would have been listed in the airframe section. However, my muffler replacement is in the airframe log but the exhaust manifold repair is in the engine log (different times and shops)

I am having my prop replaced now due to the AD.  I want it entered into the airframe log and the engine also.  This is for continuity in the books.  I have a new prop book.  I plan replace the engine in the next few years, hopefully a factory reman.

I prefer that the entry says why also.  This was not due to a prop strike.

Ron

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

While it is an airframe part supplied by Mooney one could argue for airframe log only.  My opinion is that the effort of changing it required working on the engine, so both logs would require an entry detailing the work.

Clarence

This is how I've always done it, though probably not as many times as Clarence.

Exhaust system is technically part of the airframe.  You won't find it in any of the engine manuals.  It is in the airframe IPC and MM.  The possible exception are the studs.  Look at it this way, if you replace the engine with a different one, you will likely keep the exhaust.  If the work is only logged in the engine log, you will lose the record of previous work.  If you want to play it safe, do as Clarence suggested and have it logged in both.

• Like 3

I've imported many airplanes form the U.S. In many cases an engine change isn't event noted in the airframe logs, so the airframe doesn't know that it got a new engine and the engine doesn't know it has a new airframe.  It doesn't cost a lot more to add an entry to both logs with the details of the work accomplished.

Clarence