Whelen LED Taillight Question...

Kefferch

For those with older model Mooney's (no tail strobe, just nav light), that have added a tail nav/strobe combo ... have you gotten rid of the rotating beacon or kept it? Legally, perfectly fine to do so if you have 360 degrees of anti collision coverage. Legally would also require a 337 / major mod. Benefit would be you could potentially gain a knot or two. Downside is the paper work. Or the lack of yet another lighting element that may catch another pilots attention.

Chris - are there times that you'd want you nav lights on without a strobe on the tail? I'm thinking IMC- but if youre turning your strobes off the other lights probably don't matter. Except our annunciator panels dim when navs are on. I'm thinking about being on an approach, navs off and the gear indicator light glaring away. Same in the F as J?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a roof strobe and belly strobe. The roof strobe was added in the 80s and has about 200 rivets to add beef to the surrounding aluminum structure. I don't like it. The bottom one is just a simple hole so IF my plane was converted to 360 wingtip/tail strobe, I'd just cover the hole in the bottom one and just convert the top one to LED as well.

I have a roof strobe and belly strobe. The roof strobe was added in the 80s and has about 200 rivets to add beef to the surrounding aluminum structure. I don't like it. The bottom one is just a simple hole so IF my plane was converted to 360 wingtip/tail strobe, I'd just cover the hole in the bottom one and just convert the top one to LED as well.

Alex, I noticed in the pictures you posted the top mounted strobe. I did not realize you also had the bottom strobe that came standard with your plane. I guess the previous owner really wanted to be seen! I would eliminate one of those if it was my plane.

3 hours ago, Hector said:

Alex, I noticed in the pictures you posted the top mounted strobe. I did not realize you also had the bottom strobe that came standard with your plane. I guess the previous owner really wanted to be seen! I would eliminate one of those if it was my plane.

My plane REALLY stands out when both are flashing away. They do light up the wings at night so I can't look left or right for long. I'll remove the bottom strobe when I put wingtip LED strobes in. The top one has so many rivets, might as well keep it.

208288602212aaa22db6ed5eb4f94959.jpg

Alex, I won these at the Mooney summit (door prize). The are LED bulbs that replace the stock nav and tail bulbs. They operate as regular nav lights or if you flip the switch twice they become strobes. I don't think they are exactly legal, not sure, but they look alright and definitely better than the stock bulbs.

On 12/25/2016 at 11:20 AM, Marauder said:

If you install it like mine, the tail strobe will be blinking anytime the nav lights are on. Being a nice guy, Cyril has wired it to the wing strobes so they only come on when the wing strobe units are on. I like what he did, but it is a lot of work to remove the interior and run that wire. If I have my interior out, I may do what he did but I bet it added 3 or so hours to the install cost.

Marauder - I noticed that although your nav lights and wing "strobes" are both powered on in that video, your tail nav appears not to be lit (which should be on steady when the nav light switch is on).  The four wires coming from that light are ground, nav power, tail strobe power, and sync.  Were the strobe and nav power wires connected to the same power source?  If so, they should be separate if you want to utilize both the nav and strobe functions.  Not sure if you were aware...

Steve

1 hour ago, bradp said:

If anyone installs these please write up a PIREP... 5 year warranty and a known entity (AeroLeds) seems promising

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ledlighting_replacement/aeroledspolaris11-14497.php

These look Awesome!! Aero makes really nice things. I'd love to try them as well!! I have not seen them yet!!

-Matt

2 hours ago, bradp said:

If anyone installs these please write up a PIREP... 5 year warranty and a known entity (AeroLeds) seems promising

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ledlighting_replacement/aeroledspolaris11-14497.php

So can I remove the flashlight bulb from my tail and put in this $135 LED thingy, or am I on the hook for several hundred more to get the base fixture too????

14 hours ago, Hector said:

Alex, I won these at the Mooney summit (door prize). The are LED bulbs that replace the stock nav and tail bulbs. They operate as regular nav lights or if you flip the switch twice they become strobes. I don't think they are exactly legal, not sure, but they look alright and definitely better than the stock bulbs.

I installed Navstrobes after having a few nav lights burn out at inopportune times.  They are very bright, no problem there. Note that they don't "strobe", they just flash off and on.

Two negatives that made me remove them.  Sometimes they get out of synch with one or another flashing and the others on steady.  Flip the switch again and the opposite occurs.  You have to keep them off for 15-20 minutes to realign so they all stay on steady.  The other reason is that they were not approved for certified aircraft although that may be fixed now.  If there was a way to eliminate the flashing, I might still have them.

Clarifying.. I am referring to Navstrobes, not Aeroleds.

Marauder - I noticed that although your nav lights and wing "strobes" are both powered on in that video, your tail nav appears not to be lit (which should be on steady when the nav light switch is on).  The four wires coming from that light are ground, nav power, tail strobe power, and sync.  Were the strobe and nav power wires connected to the same power source?  If so, they should be separate if you want to utilize both the nav and strobe functions.  Not sure if you were aware...
Steve

Steve - I will need to look into that. I was under the impression that the solid white was on between flashes (never was able to look at it with the naked eye). The video sure makes it look like it is not on. Will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd have another look.  You have separate NAV and STROBE light switches in your panel, so each one should be wired to its respective portion of the OR500.  I added Whelen's OR500 install doc below.  Forgive me if I'm being redundant...

- Of the 22 individual light elements in the whole OR500 assembly, the "center" 9 light elements on each side (18 total) are the "Strobe" portion.  They use the white wire, and flash when the STROBE switch is on.

- The other four light elements - in the farthest four corners of the light assembly - are the "NAV/Anti-Collision" portion, and use the Orange wire.  These are tied to your NAV light switch.  When "ON", those four light steady along with your Red and Green position lights.

So, with your NAV and STROBE switches on together, you should be seeing the two different functions of that light assembly.  Quite a nice product, IMHO.  Between my Ovation and other owners, I've done a few of these installs, so ping if you need help.

Steve

OR500 Install Document.pdf

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Cyril,

I can't make your video run on an IPad, any hints?

Clarence

Beats me.  It works on my PC, but not on my IPAD.  You'd think a video created on an IPAD and imported with the Apple app should play on an Apple Ipad ?!?*%&

Probably needs yet another app :angry:

• 5 years later...
On 12/25/2016 at 10:29 AM, Cyril Gibb said:

Yes.  That's what I installed during the recent annual.   I synched the tail and wingtip strobe function together.  REALLY bright! I had heard that some people experienced some radio interference when the strobe flashed, so I ran shielded cable to the tail light/strobe. The most difficult part was running the synch cable to the tips and tail. That's when I deferred to Clarence who managed to feed the synch wire through the existing grommets in the wing ribs.

Can the Orion OR5001V be synced to the LED A600 wingtip strobes?

John Breda

44 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Can the Orion OR5001V be synced to the LED A600 wingtip strobes?

John Breda

John, I had it sync'd to my Whelen 650 LED's (I think that was the model I had) and to my Aveo LED Wingtip assemblies and it worked fine before replacing with the Aveo tail light/strobe unit.  You just need to connect the sync wire from the OR5001V to the other two sync wires from the tips and it should work fine.