ADS-B Resource Thread

Marauder

Anthony under 172, I assume the rebate to be a taxable event, since I don’t know the information required in order to process the rebate how could/would they be able to enforce it was claimed, ie., is a social security number or ein needed in order to get the refund? Regardless since it meets the criteria for a taxable event it’s up to the taxpayer to include it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert C. said:

Thanks Anthony and Jay. Will write the IRS at the e-mail address in the article and wait for Dan to chime in :)

Don’t write the irs if you actually want a true and correct answer worse yet don’t call. Under the regs generally unless it’s specifically excluded it’s income.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, nels said:

I noticed Sportys is selling the Skybeacon but lists all Mooney’s up through the G model. Is the Skybeacon available for the J model? 

sorry if this was already discussed but too many.pages to look through.

I believe the J has enclosed wingtips, with a bubble lens around the light. Would that not make it difficult to install the SkyBeacon?

• 6 months later...

To those of you that are looking to be ADS-B Out compliant by the end of the year:

I have a GTX330ES I am taking out of my plane as I recently purchased a used GTX345.  The GTX330ES is in like new condition and will solve your ADS-B compliance issues for 2010.  

I am removing it as I am doing some other work behind the panel and found a used GTX345 which will augment my TCAD and XM-weather by giving me ADS-B In and Out.

I can be reached at (617) 877-0025 or at john.breda@gmail.com

Thanks,

John Breda

On 1/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, Robert C. said:

I have a vague recollection that I read somewhere (cannot find it now) that the $500 rebate needs to be reported as taxable income somewhere. Has anyone seen any evidence of that? I can't find anything about it on the FAA website and some googling didn't throw up any leads either.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

I read just the opposite, that it is not taxable income, but I can’t remember where I read it.

3 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I read just the opposite, that it is not taxable income, but I can’t remember where I read it.

IIRC, it was something about it not being a "rebate" and thus it is taxable, since an actual (non-taxable) rebate has to come from the manufacturer or seller.  In addition, I think there was something about federal agencies not being able to give tax-free incentives or payments.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2018 at 9:20 AM, Hyett6420 said:

ADS-B and all that.....

So the Brits have FINALLY decided that ADS-B is the thing of choice, god we don't 'alf take a long time over things sometimes.  So I have a GTX330 which gives me ADS-B in I believe according to the manual, but it is not hooked up to any screen so i cant see it (we will address that).

However I'm having a fun time trying to understand how it all works and seeing as how you lot are all now experts i thought i would ask.  So there is 1090 and 978 on the frequencies , if I'm correct and the 1090 does the high level traffic stuff and the 978 does the lower level traffic stuff.  if i DONT have -out I'm assuming because my transponder is mode S that i can see everything that the local radar station sees as well and this is via 978?   Note we are not REQUIRED to have ADS-B yet, it would just be nice to activate what i already have on board.  

Regarding weather, this is transmitted via the ground stations on the 978 frequency and thus as i have -in i should be able to pick it up?

As I have Mode S im already transmitting all my traffic data to anyone with TCAS anyway, so why would i need ads-b out?

End of Brit questions, be gentle with me please.

The GTX 330 does not give you ADS-B in and neither does the GTX 330ES (Extended Squitter) which will give you ADS-B Out (but not in) and will make you compliant for the Jan 2020 mandate.  

I am actually taking out my GTX 330ES (which will give ADS-B out) and replacing it with a GTX 345 (which will give both In and Out).

If anyone is looking for a way to be ADB-B compliant by January, my GTX 330ES will be for sale when I take it out in about 2 weeks.  If interested please e-mail me at john.breda@gmail.com or call me at (617) 877-0025.

Thanks,

John Breda

• 1 month later...

Well here we are less than a month from the mandatory date and surprisingly the ADS-B chatter seems to be subsiding on the forums.  Is everyone ready?  My Moony has a 345 and 430W and my Cessna has an Appareo and Stratus with IN on Foreflight.

Well here we are less than a month from the mandatory date and surprisingly the ADS-B chatter seems to be subsiding on the forums.  Is everyone ready?  My Moony has a 345 and 430W and my Cessna has an Appareo and Stratus with IN on Foreflight.

What’s ADS-B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Flew down to the flight service station to ask about my LORAN not working. Maybe they have NOTAMS for an outage...  They weren't there anymore so I tried to raise them on 122.0.  Didn't work.  I talked to some local pilots at that airport and they told me that soon this ADS-B thing will be required soon.  Anyone else heard of it?  I was thinking of adding Mode C, but maybe this is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, MBDiagMan said:

You guys need to keep your E6B’s close at hand.  You might consider putting one of those new tangled COM radios in your plane too.  They’re really great.:)

Who needs a radio?  My ADF picks up every AM station I could ever want!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a Freeflight FDL-978-XVR/G installed.  It will supply ADS-B Out as well as In and Wifi connection for my foreflight.  It has a WAAS GPS built in.

I bought an extra one and have it on ebay for $1000 less than retail, but I will take off $400 more if anyone here wants it ($2995).

I am putting this in as a larger upgrade, adding a Used Garmin 430, PS Engineering audio panel, KX-125 for secondary nav/com and digital CDI, and a Garmin GTX 327.

I will be missing the AHRS from my Stratux, but I do not want to haul around a portable - so if anyone can find me an inexpensive way to do AHRS installed that would be the only other thing I am looking for right now.

Hope to be testing this month, sad we missed the rebate :(

• 1 month later...

I spoke to the supervisor of the (local class D) control tower in early February.   I asked about ADS-B Out compliance. He said they are seeing a few Mode A/C planes coming through daily.   The controller advises the pilot “Your ADS-B appears inoperative.”   For now, the FSDO has yet to start enforcing the 2020 requirements, he said.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I spoke to the supervisor of the (local class D) control tower in early February.   I asked about ADS-B Out compliance. He said they are seeing a few Mode A/C planes coming through daily.   The controller advises the pilot “Your ADS-B appears inoperative.”   For now, the FSDO has yet to start enforcing the 2020 requirements, he said.  

is it required for Delta?

Another benefit of ADS-B Out is the Aireon Alert system.  Aireon operates a satellite based network with worldwide coverage at all altitudes.  Search and rescue can quickly get a plot of a plane’s recent GPS location.  
The network operates on 1090 only; 978 MHz is not monitored.   A diversity Mode S transponder (with an antenna on top of the airplane) is preferable. 
Aireon Alert

• Like 1