ADS-B Resource Thread

Marauder

3 hours ago, nosky2high said:

I'm based in the panhandle of Florida and there are only two Garmin dealers near me so I thought I'd give this shop a try.

Anthony,

Did you talk to Carl Everitt at Monarch Aviation (54J) Defuniak Springs?  He runs a very popular avionics shop.  He has done my IFR certs.  I have seen a lot of his work and it is impeccable.

https://www.facebook.com/MonarchAviation/

7 minutes ago, Gary0747 said:

Are there any apps that can show if your ADSB out transmissions are being recieved  and ptesumably retransmitted by the FAA ground stations in real time while flying?  

If you have a laptop and buy a SDR USB device, you can monitor transmissions in real time.

4 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

Where is it indicated that this is from ADSB data as opposed to just normal mode C data from a flight plan?   

The reason behind my question is It would be good to know when my ADSB out is being recieved and turning on the traffic info around me.  

I was wondering that myself. The only way that I know the ADS-B is working are those times when I see my flights on FlightAware for those trips where I didn't call ATC for service.

Where is it indicated that this is from ADSB data as opposed to just normal mode C data from a flight plan?   

The reason behind my question is It would be good to know when my ADSB out is being recieved and turning on the traffic info around me.  

I was wondering that myself. The only way that I know the ADS-B is working are those times when I see my flights on FlightAware for those trips where I didn't call ATC for service.

On the iPad version of FlightAware it will tell you the source.

43026371344745fb009e1dd37e3d5e49.jpg

• Like 1

I do not know how to get flight aware in real time......Unless one has internet access in the air?

One thought I had was finding a simple way to turn on and off the blocking of your own N number in the APP so the ADSB ground transmissions would show an airplane on top of your own gps location. That airplane being your own. But even then it might be transmitted from your mode c returns if there was another ADSB out aircraft in your area. I guess if you saw no other aircraft in the vicinity you might assume it was from your ADSB out triggering the ground transmissions.

Also in reviewing my Flightaware track log history I do not see those tag indicators that Marauder shows on his?  I wonder if the difference is that I have a UAT Transciver with a 978 mhz output versus the 1090 mhz from the mode S ADSB transponder?  I had read somewhere that Flightaware treated those two modes different?

I got an idea with your money. Pull the King radio and put in a Garmin 255. You'll have plenty of space to move it over to the center stack. I'm headed the L-3 9000+ route as well. Mine has been purchased, just waiting for the shop's slot. Going to be moving stuff around as well.
587c3094a40a1_N6892VPanelDesign.thumb.jpg.87fe322a5e98bb143954669195b7cf67.jpg

Ru removing the vacuum system. If so what will be your backup power source? The Aspen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm.... real time flightAware..... weather and traffic
Sounds like a [mention=6932]Piloto[/mention]idea...!   delivered by cell phone at altitude.
It would be helpful to know what the delay is for the data delivery... it might be a large delay...?
Best regards,
-a-

Already exists...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, Gary0747 said:

Are there any apps that can show if your ADSB out transmissions are being recieved  and ptesumably retransmitted by the FAA ground stations in real time while flying?  

Whatever app or receiver you use, if you turn off any options to "hide ownship", you should be able to see your own aircraft on the display.  If there is no N number displayed on your return, your ADS-B transmitter is not working, since it should be transmitting your N number all the time.

• 1 month later...

I have both my Mooney and an experimental aircraft that need to be ADS-B compliant since my airplanes under class B airspace.

I have been looking at the Uavioni Echo UAT.  https://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/ because their solution is in the $1500 range.

I was talking to their sales guy "Shayne" and he said that while the new Sky Beacon was presently only available for experimental now, it would be available for certified aircraft in first quarter 2018.  https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

The experimental version can be owner installed, they are working with the FAA to make sure the certified version will only need an A&P sign-off.  Since it is essentially just swapping out a wing tip light, it should be less than one hour install time.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I have both my Mooney and an experimental aircraft that need to be ADS-B compliant since my airplanes under class B airspace.

I have been looking at the Uavioni Echo UAT.  https://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/ because their solution is in the $1500 range.

I was talking to their sales guy "Shayne" and he said that while the new Sky Beacon was presently only available for experimental now, it would be available for certified aircraft in first quarter 2018.  https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

The experimental version can be owner installed, they are working with the FAA to make sure the certified version will only need an A&P sign-off.  Since it is essentially just swapping out a wing tip light, it should be less than one hour install time.

The skybeacon looks like an interesting product. Wonder how they get the WAAS GPS signal.

43 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The skybeacon looks like an interesting product. Wonder how they get the WAAS GPS signal.

GPS receiver is installed on the same board.  It is all-in-one.

Shayne intimated that the FAA was very positive toward their certification process because a low cost ADS-B is needed to get everyone on board.  The pitiful response to the $500 incentive has convinced the FAA that $6-10 thousand dollar installs are, literally, not going to fly.

Yes.  The single tail light install is what interests me.  On certified aircraft, it may involve wiring the light socket to the avionics buss rather than the position light switch.  Experimental...apparently wiring to the light switch is okay.

Certification details are still in negotiation with the FAA.

It makes no sense to me that certified and experimental installations are different since both will be in the same sky/same ATC.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 10:49 PM, Mooneymite said:

Clever packaging for a WAAS GPS and ADS-B Out solution.  It should be very easy to install on pre-J Mooneys with the flat wing tips....unless you have to route a separate wire out to the wingtip for the certified version.  

Configuration via a smart phone app looks straight forward.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From AIN 12/2/2017

40% of U.S. Bizcraft Fleet Won’t Meet ADS-B Deadline

Forty percent of the U.S. business airplane fleet will not meet the Jan. 1, 2020 deadline for ADS-B Out, Duncan Aviation president Aaron Hilkeman said last week at the Corporate Jet Investor Miami conference. To achieve 100 percent compliance within the next 25 months, the current ADS-B installation rate of 1,758 per month for U.S.-based piston and turbine airplanes and helicopters would have to nearly double to 3,390 per month, which Hilkeman said is impossible.

“Looking to install ADS-B next year is too late,” he warned, noting that ADS-B work is competing for shop capacity with other avionics retrofits, including heavy demand for datacomm installations.

To date, 5,225, or 37 percent, of the 14,001 U.S.-based business jets are equipped with ADS-B Out. At the current equipage rate of 212 per month, that means 3,476 jets—nearly a quarter of the U.S. fleet—will effectively be grounded in early 2020 due to non-compliance. This picture is worse for business turboprops—only 21 percent, or 2,513, of the 12,188 in the U.S. now have ADS-B; at the current equipage rate of 101 per month for turboprops, more than half of this fleet—7,150—will fail to meet the deadline, according to data presented by Hilkeman.

Read Expanded Version
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

I suspect that sometime in 2019, we will see a deadline extension.

I wonder how many of those aircraft don't fly though. Certainly not as many ramp queens as our piston stuff, but there still has to be several thousand aircraft out there in schools, etc...