ADS-B Resource Thread

Marauder

I thought I would start this thread to capture resources needed for the ADS-B mandate: 

Interactive site that shows the ADS-B coverage by type: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ICM/

Link to an interactive Google Earth site that allows you to search for airports to show whether ADS-B out is required (also helped validate why active traffic is not such a bad thing - check out the video): https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/airspace/

The flight test requirements (section 4.3): https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-165B.pdf

The FAA's rebate program website: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Yetti said:

And now the next wave of ADSB boxes hit the market.   These guys have a ADSB solution for UAVs for $500.

Looks like they have the experimental aircraft versions out.

http://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-atu-20/

Does it receives WX? How it interfaces with transponders and GNS 530W and other panel mounted nav displays?

José

• Like 1

I would think it would be in the "stand alone" box.  Like the ranger freeflight.  So they could have the clamp on to the transponder coax to read the transponder info.   Or they are using a 3d fix with a GPS GLONAS data for position and altitude.   So there is probably a external GPS antenna.

Looks like the interface would be to the tablet via wifii so not to the fancy panel glass.  Unless the fancy glass accepts wifi targets/weather in.

The form factor looks like they are using a Raspberry PI sized device.  

1 hour ago, luv737s said:

How about this innovative solution from the same country. 

SkyEcho ATT-20B Portable ADS-B In/Out Transceiver CAP-1391 Approved

Only $750  not yet approved in the US..but somebody needs to wake up...FAA are you listening

How can it see traffic or WX in Europe when there is no ADS-B/UAT ground stations in Europe or outside the US.

José

This only proves the technology is available or could be developed at a significantly lower cost than what is currently offered.  It may not have all the bells and whistles but all I need is ADS-B out to fulfill FAA mandate.  $1900-$3000+install fee is ridiculous.  My Stratus does the rest for me.

• Like 2

You ask why do I know these things.   I was looking to see if I could provide GPS data from a Raspberry PI with a $15.00 3D GPS to an Avadyne Transponder.   Yes Very easy.   Serial USB GPS->Node Red for decoding data string from USB port -> out to the Serial Port Tx Pin on the GPIO pins.  Then one wire into the Avadyne Transponder.  Avadyne transponder accepts a standard NEMA sentence structure

31 minutes ago, Yetti said:

They are doing plane to plane in Europe.  Seems like there are 4 different systems over there.  this guy integrates all of them using a Raspberry PI  http://www.pilotaware.com/

Most planes in Europe have the plain vanilla mode A/C transponders like the KT-76A. Few have a mode S transponder. And to get position information from these you need a TCAS  or the ATD-300 or ATC traffic advisory.

José

26 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

Am I correct in thinking that upgrading the GTX transponder to the ADSB capable version doesn't quality for the $500 rebate?

Assuming you have a 330? It has to be a new install in order to qualify for the rebate. If you have a 327 then you can buy a 330ES and still get the rebate though.

I am confused on the ADS-B Rebate fly out procedure   regarding  AC 20-165 ....  pg 44   table 5 show ADS-B turns  to be flown at  3,000 - 10,000 ft in class E ,  However the ADS-B Rebate says 30 min above 10,000 ft.

I am a little embarrassed to ask but... Since I am VFR pilot most of my flights are usually short about  2hrs or less and since  I usually don't get flight following ( bad experiences with them ).

so  when I go  do the ADS-B Fly out  above 10,000 ft  in Class E  

q1) how I am supposed to get a transponder  code I suspect  I am going to  need unique   transponder  code to do the ADS-B  Fly out  other than getting  transponder code from flight following ?

Thanks,

James

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 9.28.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 9.31.44 PM.png

Edited by jamesm

9 hours ago, jamesm said:

I am confused on the ADS-B Rebate fly out procedure   regarding  AC 20-165 ....  pg 44   table 5 show ADS-B turns  to be flown at  3,000 - 10,000 ft in class E ,  However the ADS-B Rebate says 30 min above 10,000 ft.

I am a little embarrassed to ask but... Since I am VFR pilot most of my flights are usually short about  2hrs or less and since  I usually don't get flight following ( bad experiences with them ).

so  when I go  do the ADS-B Fly out  above 10,000 ft  in Class E  

q1) how I am supposed to get a transponder  code I suspect  I am going to  need unique   transponder  code to do the ADS-B  Fly out  other than getting  transponder code from flight following ?

Thanks,

James

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 9.28.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 9.31.44 PM.png

I hope I'm answering your question, but I can tell you from my experience that all you have to do is 1) get a normal transponder code, 2) spend 30 minutes above 10K, and 3) do some climbs/descents, as well as some maneuvering flight.  Lastly, I would suggest commencing your flight from an airport without great radar coverage so as to not run into the problem that some have had in which they fail the test because of broadcasting while on the ground (I forget the term for that fault).  In my case I start broadcasting as soon as I'm moving at a slow walk which I think is too low a setting.  I fear that if my check out flight were from an airport with good coverage I would fail.  I'll get the velocity setting increased as some point but, in the meantime, got my sign off and rebate check.

Just received my rebate and thought I should post the flightaware record of my validation flight. The flight was conducted under the ORLANDO class bravo shelf. I never exceeded 2600 feet. I basically did some lazy turns, remained there for 30 minutes and flew home to beat the arriving cold front.

IMG_0118.PNG

IMG_0117.PNG

• Like 2

Thanks for your response Robert.

Robert  when you say "normal  transponder code" doing you mean 1200 ? or do I need to

I guess I am having a disconnect on this.

How does  the ADS-B system know that hey there is  a Mooney  guy   with  a newly installed ADS-B   squawking  1200  who is flying  maneuvers above 10,0000  for  more than 30 minutes  oh by  the way  he is  doing this for the ADS-B verification/validation flight,  As appose to some other Mooney Gal/Guy  who is flying and squawking  VFR above 10,000 ft in the same airspace.

My other question would be ....

So if were to fly ADS-B verification/validation flight perfect and you were an airport say 50 nm away from your home airport and then you go fly home would you over write your perfect ADS-B flight?

Chupacabra, where you on  a IFR  flight plan or have to get Flight following?   was this for the ADS-B Rebate ?

Thanks,

James

1 hour ago, jamesm said:

Thanks for your response Robert.

Robert  when you say "normal  transponder code" doing you mean 1200 ? or do I need to

I guess I am having a disconnect on this.

How does  the ADS-B system know that hey there is  a Mooney  guy   with  a newly installed ADS-B   squawking  1200  who is flying  maneuvers above 10,0000  for  more than 30 minutes  oh by  the way  he is  doing this for the ADS-B verification/validation flight,  As appose to some other Mooney Gal/Guy  who is flying and squawking  VFR above 10,000 ft in the same airspace.

My other question would be ....

So if were to fly ADS-B verification/validation flight perfect and you were an airport say 50 nm away from your home airport and then you go fly home would you over write your perfect ADS-B flight?

Chupacabra, where you on  a IFR  flight plan or have to get Flight following?   was this for the ADS-B Rebate ?

Thanks,

James

By "normal code" I meant a code atc would normally assign for flight following, which is to say neither 1200 nor a "hey, I'm doing my ads-b validation flight so can you give me something special to so designate" code.  

As for how they know this is a flight you will be using to confirm functionality and get the rebate, my guess is that every flight captures the necessary data which is held in a very, very large database.  When you go through the procedure to obtain the necessary documentation to get the rebate a query they've designed for this purpose gets triggered that, in turn, generates the report you need.  

As to your question about over-writing what would otherwise be a qualifying flight, no worries.  I think the only thing relevant is whether or not you met the standard, regardless of whether you spent 45 minutes accumulating the needed 30 in "rule airspace" or 4 hours.  I do recall that the report will show total flight time, a subset of which will be an expression of time spent in rule airspace.

i may be wrong about how, exactly, the FAA accomplishes the reporting but a large database holding everything, coupled with a customized query is my educated guess.  

The Validation flight is super easy. I did mine inside the mode C veil, but never inside the Bravo airspace. I did not talk to ATC, and I never went above 3,000 ft. I just did a series of 360 turns and some climbs and descents. Super easy, after 30 minutes I did the report on the FAA website and shortly after that I had the confirmation of the rebate.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N6758N/history/20170109/2205Z/KOQN/KOQN

• Like 1

In the FWIW department, I thought I'd share some of the stuff I learned with my installation:

I installed a Garmin GTX345 and a FlightStream 210 (not required for ADS B, but it makes it more useful).  I had just purchased the aircraft, so it wasn't registered in my name.  However, I was able to reserve a rebate, perform the installation, and make the flight, all before the FAA showed me as the owner.  I just had to wait to CLAIM the rebate once the aircraft was in my name...

As to the flight, I didn't do anything but fly through/near class B airspace (ATL).  After the flight, I decided to have a look at the FAA website to see if that was good enough, and it was!  No maneuvering or anything else out of the ordinary.

One last note, if installing the 345 and the FS210, make sure the installer disconnects the Bluetooth from the 345, as the 210 becomes your Bluetooth device.  I'm now able to see WX and traffic on my 430w, and it's epic in and around the pattern.  Additionally, make sure the FS (if you get one) has the latest software version (2.40 or later) and you'll be able to see ADS B WX and traffic on either Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.  Versions prior to 2.40 don't support those programs....

Thanks  again to all that answered, this is good information.

Hopefully I will get my plane back this week and the weather and work schedule cooperates.  A bit overkill but I went with a L3 NGT9000 ADS-B but I figured if a overprice  and  glorified transponder was going to take up panel space it might as will be displaying some useful data other than  showing  me  1200   or some other Octal 4 digit code. 

James

• Like 1

Thanks  again to all that answered, this is good information.
Hopefully I will get my plane back this week and the weather and work schedule cooperates.  A bit overkill but I went with a L3 NGT9000 ADS-B but I figured if a overprice  and  glorified transponder was going to take up panel space it might as will be displaying some useful data other than  showing  me  1200   or some other Octal 4 digit code. 
James

I hope you'll be thrilled with the Lynx, I am. What airplane are you putting it in? Mine is over on the right, just not quite enough room to move to center :/

Got the 9000+ and saved some money and useful load trading in the old skywatch box in the tail rack...

8a3bfb134ff4d412a4a30e1511918b03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I am installing the NGT 9000+  in a '67 M20C that why I said it was a bit over kill for the flying I do. though I keep having a  grand visions of flying more  ...which I have  done over the the last few years.  Now I need to equip it with CDI or equivalent and  Panel mounted GPS and then work on my instrument ticket. I have real hard time forking out ~$2100 or so for a  Mechanical CDI  knowing  that  there is  far better value out there then  a old mechanical Instrument pigging up precious panel space.

Nothing else gave my money to help  revitalize  GA industry.

• Like 1