Controller Error Led To Mid Air Collision

Piloto

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/NTSB-Controller-Error-Led-To-Midair-Collision-228246-1.html

The NTSB also noted that the cockpit views and surrounding environment made it difficult for the pilots to spot each other until it was too late to avoid a collision, and neither aircraft had traffic detection equipment. The board recently issued recommendations for additional training for controllers based on the accident and a safety alert for pilots to promote the use of traffic displays.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

The Northwoods Airlifeline Bonanza I flew yesterday ( 8 hours ) has a brand new GTN750 and ADS-B.  It painted traffic a lot more times than I expected.  I also just got the ADS-B working in my Lancair (the avionics guy that installed the antenna ends installed the antenna on the wrong port of my ADS-B receiver) and today it painted traffic the whole time I flew.  Until I saw this in action, I don't think I would have ever thought it was this useful.  I just told my avionics shop I will be scheduling my Mooney in for the upgrade in January while the rebate is still available.

Tom

I noticed that the GTN 750 does not has the traffic small inset window (6nm range) that is on the IFD 540 and GNS 530W. I found the window to be useful for seeing nearby traffic for when the map view range is on a 100nm scale. When I depart I usually set the map range to the destination. But at 100nm range traffic at less than 5nm clutters into the plane symbol and with other symbols on the map making it difficult to asses traffic location. This is were the traffic inset window is useful in assessing nearby traffic irrelevant of the map display mode/range.

José

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

The Northwoods Airlifeline Bonanza I flew yesterday ( 8 hours ) has a brand new GTN750 and ADS-B.  It painted traffic a lot more times than I expected.  I also just got the ADS-B working in my Lancair (the avionics guy that installed the antenna ends installed the antenna on the wrong port of my ADS-B receiver) and today it painted traffic the whole time I flew.  Until I saw this in action, I don't think I would have ever thought it was this useful.  I just told my avionics shop I will be scheduling my Mooney in for the upgrade in January while the rebate is still available.

Tom

Tom

Have you heard how many rebates have been given out?......how many are left?  I better get in gear too...

40 minutes ago, takair said:

Tom

Have you heard how many rebates have been given out?......how many are left?  I better get in gear too...

I thought I heard or read recently that it was a marginal number but there is a max number of rebates (think it is 20,000).  You can't get the rebate until it's installed and you log one flight above 10k ( there may be another parameter for those in more congested airspace, but that's what I have to do).  

Tom

13 hours ago, Piloto said:

I noticed that the GTN 750 does not has the traffic small inset window (6nm range) that is on the IFD 540 and GNS 530W. I found the window to be useful for seeing nearby traffic for when the map view range is on a 100nm scale. When I depart I usually set the map range to the destination. But at 100nm range traffic at less than 5nm clutters into the plane symbol and with other symbols on the map making it difficult to asses traffic location. This is were the traffic inset window is useful in assessing nearby traffic irrelevant of the map display mode/range.

José

When nearby traffic shows up on the map page of the 750 I hit the home/traffic buttons. But I now have a FS 510 which puts the traffic on the tablet so Nancy can watch traffic, her favorite pastime, without changing the 750.  

When nearby traffic shows up on the map page of the 750 I hit the home/traffic buttons. But I now have a FS 510 which puts the traffic on the tablet so Nancy can watch traffic, her favorite pastime, without changing the 750.  

That was the selling point to my wife. Gave her the second iPad with just my GDL-39 attached to it. In my case, it missed a number of planes because I wasn't getting full TIS-B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, takair said:

Tom

The last number I saw was as of a month ago and it was less than 4K.  So I bet it will be a year or so before the 20K is exhausted.

One lesson learned that I'll pass on is that you need 30 minutes in "rule airspace" to get the system checked out.  I figured "rule airspace" was pretty much any airspace in which a signal could be seen.  Not so.  It's airspace in which such equipment will be mandatory in 2020.  Basically, 10K+ in altitude.  My first report said "insufficient time in rule airspace" despite spending 1 hour flying around.  Someone on this forum helped me grasp my error. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertE said:

The last number I saw was as of a month ago and it was less than 4K.  So I bet it will be a year or so before the 20K is exhausted.

One lesson learned that I'll pass on is that you need 30 minutes in "rule airspace" to get the system checked out.  I figured "rule airspace" was pretty much any airspace in which a signal could be seen.  Not so.  It's airspace in which such equipment will be mandatory in 2020.  Basically, 10K+ in altitude.  My first report said "insufficient time in rule airspace" despite spending 1 hour flying around.  Someone on this forum helped me grasp my error. 

I have been reading up on the requirements. In addition to being in the required airspace, they require 10 minutes of "aggregate minutes of maneuvering flight". 

ADS-B.JPG

Here is the most current requirements document I could find (section 4.3) : https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-165B.pdf

It is clear that they expect you to maneuver around to have them consider the flight test complete.

18 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

What's amazing is that the traffic has always been out there, we just didn't know it. But what I find incredible is the accuracy of the depiction. If the screen shows traffic at 11 O'Clock and 200 feet lower, that's exactly where it is.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

That was the selling point to my wife. Gave her the second iPad with just my GDL-39 attached to it. In my case, it missed a number of planes because I wasn't getting full TIS-B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife asked for a pair of Gucci sunglasses to watch for traffic.B)

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

I did the ADSB in/out mod back in May of this year. My GTX 345 allows traffic to be displayed on the Garmin 530 but is limited to eight targets. I added an I Pad with ForeFlight in August and that greatly increased the participating traffic awareness. I wanted the 'in' capability largely for weather but the comfort of flight aspect (especially for my significant other) that enhanced traffic awareness brings to us has been great. It's not TCAS but it sure is better than nothing at all.

• Like 2