Aeroshell 7.

wpbarnar

I have been trying to purchase Aeroshell 7 in the tube for a couple months now.   All the major online stores are out of stock.   Spoke with a customer rep at AircraftSpruce today inquiring about the status of my back order. 

She said that the Aeroshell greases are manufactured in the U.K. and that the CAA (British equivalent to FAA) required Shell to make some  changes, hence large delays in shipments. Supposedly Shell should be shipping soon.

Have any of ya'll heard anything that would substantiate or provide more info on her statement?    I am just curious why there has been such a shortage of Aeroshell greases.

Bill

I order a tube each of #5, #7, & #22 from Spruce. The #7 was back ordered. I suspect that there's an adequate substitute. It is spec'd for the control blocks. My mechanic has about 8 grease guns on the wall but uses #28 for almost everything on Mooneys. (Not sure about wheel bearings, that's #5 as I recall.)

15 minutes ago, wpbarnar said:

My service manual specially calls out Aeroshell 7 for the trim jackscrew and actuator bearings.  MIL spec 3545 for wheel bearings and 81322 for most of the other grease points.

Bill

Yeah, AeroShell #7, #5, and #22 match those mil specs. 

I bought a pneumatic grease gun for the #22 which is for all the grease fittings on the gear. Only paid $29 @ Northern Tool on line and was much easier than the manual gun for those fittings in hard to access spots. I also recommend the flex tube and the metal clamping head that has to be twisted to tighten. More positive for those same fittings than the plastic snap on type. Of course you have to have a compressor in the hangar...