Lasar or Top Gun PPI?

Pilots who follow this forum know I am a LASAR enthusiast. I've taken both of my Mooneys to them for PPIs and annual inspections as well as interim maintenance. This now spans about 35 years, and I am still taking my current Mooney to them. I don't know Top Gun, but I do know the folk at LASAR, and I find them highly competent and easy to work with. Not cheap, but good workmanship is worth every Penney - at least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, KSMooniac said:

Not a wrong choice among those options, although I'd see if either shop has already worked on the candidate plane and then call that shop, and maybe go to the other.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

+1

I would suggest LASAR for a PPI. They did a completely thorough and detailed PPI on mine, catching everything including some things missed on previous Top Gun Annual. Yes, it will be more expensive, but by finding out all of these things ahead of time, it gave me a clear idea on how much I was going to need to get the plane airworthy, and how much to get all of the other items done that I may or may not want to do.

9 hours ago, DXB said:

Both.  One this year, the other in the next year or two.  Specialized expertise is overlapping but complementary by its very nature. 

It's a great theory but I live in Columbus Ohio and the plane currently resides out west. This will only be for the PPI. I will then need recommendations on a close msc. I will probably go every other year between local mechanic and msc for annual, unless I hear a better plan. But I can't thank everybody enough for all the advice.

8 minutes ago, Candy man said:

It's a great theory but I live in Columbus Ohio and the plane currently resides out west. This will only be for the PPI. I will then need recommendations on a close msc. I will probably go every other year between local mechanic and msc for annual, unless I hear a better plan. But I can't thank everybody enough for all the advice.

There may well be a good Mooney shop nearby but there does not seem to be a MSC in OH (or KY, or WV). But there are several within an hour or 2. I'll vouch for AGL @ KMRN, others here will know about those in IN, VA, TN, MI, etc. 

http://www.mooney.com/en/Support.html#Centers

I would suggest Top Gun.  I have had 3 annuals at LASAR, and all three there have been issues when I picked up the plane.  On one, the gear wouldn't retract when I was trying to leave (and no, the safety latch was not flipped up, a wire had been broken on the gear motor during the annual somehow).  In their defense, they always worked hard to make it right- but I would expect that level of service for the premium you pay there.

LASAR does have an excellent parts supply and corporate knowledge of mooney- but I think they took a hit in overall service when Robert left a few years back.

Edited by M016576

5 hours ago, Candy man said:

Muncie Aviation is the nearest MSC. I haven't used them much but they've always been very professional.