Icing Encounter, sort of

DanM20C

I went out to the hanger earlier this week to finally empty out the mini fridge for winter.  Everything was froze solid except a few bottles of water.  It was fun playing with, but makes me wonder why I live in Minnesota.

-Dan

• Like 17

Dan,

You are the best!

This is awesome.

I have known of this behavior from my school days, but have never seen it happen.

Pure water doesn't have an nucleator for the crystalization to begin.  But once it gets started, it is hard to stop.  A nucleation site can be caused by impact, impurity or another ice crystal.

The video shows a pretty creepy speed of propagation!

Please share this with George our AOPA guy.  This could be helpful for all pilots this winter.

Great demonstration!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I went out to the hanger earlier this week to finally empty out the mini fridge for winter.  Everything was froze solid except a few bottles of water.  It was fun playing with, but makes me wonder why I live in Minnesota.

-Dan

That video is AWESOME!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jlunseth said:

Plus, there's the taxes.  And the really bad traffic. 

My recommendation?  Go to White Christmas at the Ordway.  You will feel better.

Taxes? Well yea.. I have several relatives retiring to Florida this year and it isn't because of the weather. 

Traffic isn't bad where I"m at.  But I did have to drive to the Cabin a few times last year, I35 north of the cities is awful. I feel much safer flying there.

The wife's friend went to White Christmas last weekend. She is quite upset we didn't make a point of going.  I hear it was great.

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Dan,

You are the best!

This is awesome.

I have known of this behavior from my school days, but have never seen it happen.

Pure water doesn't have an nucleator for the crystalization to begin.  But once it gets started, it is hard to stop.  A nucleation site can be caused by impact, impurity or another ice crystal.

The video shows a pretty creepy speed of propagation!

Please share this with George our AOPA guy.  This could be helpful for all pilots this winter.

Great demonstration!

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.  There is a million videos of this on YouTube. But after showing it to my local pilot friends most were amazed and hadn't seen it before. I think this is a good visual as to how Ice forms and gives a good sense of how fast it could form. 

In hind sight I wish I would have poured it onto the wing. :) 

Dan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Taxes? Well yea.. I have several relatives retiring to Florida this year and it isn't because of the weather. 

Traffic isn't bad where I"m at.  But I did have to drive to the Cabin a few times last year, I35 north of the cities is awful. I feel much safer flying there.

The wife's friend went to White Christmas last weekend. She is quite upset we didn't make a point of going.  I hear it was great.

Thanks.  There is a million videos of this on YouTube. But after showing it to my local pilot friends most were amazed and hadn't seen it before. I think this is a good visual as to how Ice forms and gives a good sense of how fast it could form. 

In hind sight I wish I would have poured it onto the wing. :) 

Dan

If she went to an evening show, she saw me.  I play the Train Conductor and do a little tap dance in the finale.  It is still going on this coming week through the 31st.  Come.  You will love it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

Wow!  Great video.  I posted on the AOPA linkedIn channel

Thanks George. 

On 12/23/2016 at 7:30 PM, jlunseth said:

If she went to an evening show, she saw me.  I play the Train Conductor and do a little tap dance in the finale.  It is still going on this coming week through the 31st.  Come.  You will love it.

Unfortunately we can't make it this time but would love to.  Any chance you will be in Annie next December?  Daddy Warbucks perhaps? My girls (3 and 4 y/o) are obsessed with Annie so we won't miss that one.

I was flying into the Grand canyon last week and experienced some very quick icing. I'd been monitoring the OAT with temps around 20 F when all of the sudden it looked like dime sized, very wet sleet hitting the windshield. I quickly checked the OAT and it was -4 F (-20 C). 30 seconds and the entire windshield was obscured and we had a half inch on everything else. Wings,tail, antennas..... I don't have much ice experience but previously it would slowly build and usually started in the corners of the windshield. Not this stuff. Wherever it "splatted" it stayed. No running liquid. It behaved more like mud. Very intense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...