Need help updating my aera 500

yvesg

Good day folks. Wanted to download a new navdata from Garmin for my aera 500 (I do it every few years since I have a GNS430W which is always up to date) and it looks like I needed to update all kinds of things... when I finally get to the install part, I get the following error. This is with Firefox. I get a web page cannot be found on IE. Spent 2 hours on this so far and getting fed up! Anyone knows what the issue could be? Tried updating the Plugin to latest, re-booted computer, updated firmware on GPS... running out of options. It tries to access this URL: gmnadu://update/?v=2&id=f039.....

Thanks.

Yves

garmin.png

Not familiar with the hardware that you're trying to update, but as a web developer, I can tell you it's a problem with your install of the plugin (which is specific to the browser that you're using).  The address (gmnadu://) is not a valid web address, so for some reason, the plugin isn't intercepting the request and it's confusing Firefox.  I would check the OS and browser requirements of the plugin that you're using and make sure that your system meets those requirements.

I used to have the Aera 560 until it broke down. I was very happy with it but found the Garmin Pilot app on my Samsung S7 Active to be superior with a slightly bigger display. For $70/year I get updated charts and info. I get WX through the internet that has more info (worldwide coverage) than XM even in flight and is free. And of course I can send and receive text messages while in flight.

Strongly recommend this application.

José

Edited by Piloto

On December 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Piloto said:

I used to have the Aera 560 until it broke down. I was very happy with it but found the Garmin Pilot app on my Samsung S7 Active to be superior with a slightly bigger display. For $70/year I get updated charts and info. I get WX through the internet that has more info (worldwide coverage) than XM even in flight and is free. And of course I can send and receive text messages while in flight.

Strongly recommend this application.

José

Where do you go online to access free xm weather?   Does it pipe into GP or do you have to use a separate app?  

1 hour ago, Browncbr1 said:

Where do you go online to access free xm weather?   Does it pipe into GP or do you have to use a separate app?  

When I downloaded the Garmin Pilot it included the weather and IFR charts for free, it is not XM weather but Garmin weather. The weather is overlay over the moving map. You can select different weather parameters to be displayed. Unlike the Aera 560 that you need a separate antenna with the Garmin Pilot it is just the cell phone. To improve internet WX reception I have the Samsung Velcro to the pilot sun visor. Tested up to 10,000ft with good weather updates.

José

2 minutes ago, Piloto said:

When I downloaded the Garmin Pilot it included the weather and IFR charts for free, it is not XM weather but Garmin weather. The weather is overlay over the moving map. You can select different weather parameters to be displayed. Unlike the Aera 560 that you need a separate antenna with the Garmin Pilot it is just the cell phone. To improve internet WX reception I have the Samsung Velcro to the pilot sun visor. Tested up to 10,000ft with good weather updates.

José

Oh, I thought it was actual xm data.  I can do the same with fltplanGo, but haven't really tried to test data above about 2000agl.  Good idea about mounting to the visor.  I'll try that.       Maybe with just the storm app, which shows lightening as well  

I have an aera510, but was very disappointed to find that the $10/m marine service doesn't work with it.  So, I spent $30 and got better antennas for my stratux.  

José

Jose, I just don't have that much luck with reception above 6000. In Florida unless I'm over the east coast I'm not getting consistent cell phone reception. It's too unreliable for me to depend on it. I have a Stratus2 that works really well, and I also pay for XM (marine subscription at $10 per month) for my Garmin 496 as a backup. The XM radar is low resolution for a marine subscription but I still get METARS and such. For a backup it's good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hector said:

Jose, I just don't have that much luck with reception above 6000. In Florida unless I'm over the east coast I'm not getting consistent cell phone reception. It's too unreliable for me to depend on it. I have a Stratus2 that works really well, and I also pay for XM (marine subscription at $10 per month) for my Garmin 496 as a backup. The XM radar is low resolution for a marine subscription but I still get METARS and such. For a backup it's good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had similar experience until I set the phone on the sun visor. Having the phone below the windows held in your hands attenuate substantially the 1/2 watt signal from the phone. Network coverage is another factor, I have ATT. I found that on the Garmin Pilot is better to be on the WX play mode rather than on the hold mode to get the latest update. Unlike XM or ADS-b the Garmin Pilot internet WX shows satellite and lightning worldwide (including Oceanic regions) and radar in Europe from my recliner at home.

José

3 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Is your airport of intended landing the TO waypoint?  If it is something else, it won't announce the 500.  This gets me sometimes if I still have a VOR plugged in.

I apologize in advance if you already knew this.

I know not to expect it if I'm staying in the pattern, but this problem occurs whether the destination is five miles away or 500.