Flightradar24

Pritch

Tried a new app on my Ipad yesterday.  I have been using Flightaware but was not impressed with the way aircraft advanced.  With Flightradar24, not only can you see planes taxiing around major airports but watch them taking off and climbing.  This works great when I am keeping tracked of my wife when she is flying home commercially, and I know when to leave for the airport.  I took my Ipad with me to see how much lag time there was from the actual landing and what the Ipad showed.  It was only 20 to 30 seconds.

Pritch

• Like 1

I have been using Flightradar24 for a few years. It supposedly has a feature where you can point your phone at a plane in the sky and it is supposed to identify it. Never tried it though, but should theoretically work for ADS-B out aircraft (not the FAA delayed radar data). I have an add on for airport info and it gives you cool departure/arrival board for all flights into or out of the airport. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, wishboneash said:

should theoretically work for ADS-B out aircraft (not the FAA delayed radar data).

I works on Radar as well.  It works well outside the US.  It is using the GPS in the phone and general bearing.

I installed this and while I like how it depicts traffic, the radar delay is annoying. I live in an area where commercial planes fly over my house all the time when departing from Ft Lauderdale. When I hear one pass over I look to the display and notice that it's nowhere near me yet on the screen. The delay appears to be about five minutes for traffic reported by radar but it's spot on for ADS-B. 

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I agree, just point and shoot. As for AF1 or a royal flight no they are blocked as are most Uk military flights.  

Having talked about terrorists though they tend NOT to be that sophisticated.  Getting hold of an a SA is easy enough, but transporting it to a western country where it would do harm is nigh on impossible.  People would ask questions very early on.  Guns the runners don't care too much about but SAs and other stuff is harder to move as the runners don't want to get involved in that sort of stuff.  The IRA tried it and failed even with Libya and it being well financed.  More likely a RPG would be used low level )if the guys on the ground actually knew how to). 

I cringe just thinking about it.