Sun n Fun 2017

Raptor05121

From http://www.sun-n-fun.org/sun-n-fun-intl-fly-in-expo/flying-in/:

"The 1st issue of the 2017 SUN ‘n FUN NOTAM will be available March 3rd, in conjunction with the FAA’s release schedule. Please check back for that release, and once again for the final NOTAM release on March 31st."

The procedures remain substantially unchanged from year to year. If flying VFR, it's the Lake Parker arrival. You can get a good idea by looking at last year's procedures. Here's a link: http://d2uowj5bno3yjz.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/04204544/2016-SUN-N-FUN-NOTAM-0

I parked in Vintage in 2013. We cancelled instruments and flew the Parker arrival. Piece of cake. The landmarks are easy to follow and there's no need to talk. Don't expect to be able to set up a stabilized 2 mile final. The "tower" uses turn to base and final to optimize spacing and maximize landings per hour on the taxiway.  

• Like 2

Bob's right. They turned me base at the end of the runway, on short final sidestepped me to 27R (the runway), and had me fly a mile at 20' agl until beyond the crosswind runway before touching down.

The only hard part was the gaggle of RVs i was told to follow overshot every turn . . .

Pluses and minuses either way you go.  I went a couple of years ago with 2 other guys and a son.  We all piled into a Cherokee 6 it was nice all camping gear and necessities.  I liked the access to things later in the evening and all you had to do was walk back to the camp site although it was a good walk.

We intended to camp at SnF but the tent and other equipment that Joey shipped ahead c/o the show's freight forwarders was lost. (I told him it would fit in the Mooney but he owned and Archer II and would not take my word for the Mooney's capacity.) His stuff was never found. The FF company paid for hotel rooms in Lakeland but is was not nearly as nice as being on the grounds. We wasted a lot of time going back and forth and missed out on the evening socializing.Ditto @ KOSH last year where the problem was that Nancy is too old to camp.  :rolleyes:

I typically park at Zephyr Hills or Bartow and go back and forth on Tuesday and Wednesday. We have offices down there so I work the show into a trip and go into the office Monday. Up to this coming year, we have had a corporate condo next to the mall on Harden Blvd. and 570 but we are in the midst of selling it so I will be looking at other options.

Not really fond of the large crowds so I will head back Thursday morning as usual.

I'll be down for a day trip again like I usually do. Not sure which day, as I'll have to see what amazing jet team is demonstrating. SnF always used to be my annual fix of the Blue Angels or T-Birds but I have to say I really enjoyed the Breitling team this year. They're not as awe-inspiringly powerful as the others, but I found their grace and coordination to be just as thrilling.