Power Tow transmission

TheTurtle

My hangar partner has an old powertow with a Tecumseh  gas engine.  The detents on the transmission feel pretty gone so it easily goes from forward to reverse skipping neutral and you can get it into a nifty back and forth slam dance.  Until I fix it Im not attaching my precious nose wheel to that monster.

I took the transmission off yesterday just to say I did something aviation related...

Wondering if anybody has fixed one of these before or knows what I should search for for a replacement.  My google fu is failing me today.

20161219_160121.jpg

20161219_160106.jpg

Taking it to a local tractor shop that handles tecumseh products may be a good idea. The gearbox is probably a standard that has been built by the same company.  The tug company probably built the system from available parts....

I have had good luck taking pictures of my tug needs and going to the local tractor shop.  Pictures of the part and serial number decal of each part you can find may be helpful.... they are also a John Deere dealership in case you need an industrial scale tug.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

My hangar partner has an old powertow with a Tecumseh  gas engine.  The detents on the transmission feel pretty gone so it easily goes from forward to reverse skipping neutral and you can get it into a nifty back and forth slam dance.  Until I fix it Im not attaching my precious nose wheel to that monster.
I took the transmission off yesterday just to say I did something aviation related...
Wondering if anybody has fixed one of these before or knows what I should search for for a replacement.  My google fu is failing me today.

20161219_160121.jpg
20161219_160106.jpg

The Power Tow transmission is available on their site for a whopping $500. The problem you are having is probably the same problem I had with my Lug Bug. The Lug Bug line was bought out by Power Tow.

If you are having shifting problems, it is most likely the detente in the shift lever. In my case, the shift lever actually cracked at one of the detents. A buddy of mine managed to put it together with a homemade fix.

The transmission is from a Gilson snowblower. Here is the part for the shifter. The site has other replacement parts as well.

http://www.gilsonsnowblowers.com/snowparts2.html#footefork

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

ah snowblower!! thanks guys.  I couldnt find a part number anywhere on mine.  Im going to pull the shifter out and see if it looks the same.

I spent a long time trying to figure out what it was. I suspected it was a snowblower part because it has one speed forward and back. None of the repair shops knew what it was. I went to a forum dedicated to snowblowers and a guy gave me the ID and where to get parts literally in minutes.

I have an ez 35 with the transmission and it apart last week. Very simple inside and I had the same problem a couple of years back. The shaft that goes though the transmission has a divet on the shaft that a small metal biscuit fits into, mine popped out as a result of me moving the forward reverse lever to aggressively. If this is your problem the small biscuit might be floating in all the gease inside the transmission, so you will have to look for it.  Placing back in the proper order is a bit of a puzzle, but it wasn't,t a difficult job.

• Like 2